Next announcement of cancellations

lindylooellalouise

21 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

Another poster on FB had just been talking to them about an FCC problem and was told there’s a big meeting next week and to hang on for 10 days before making any decisions and December cruises weren’t looking too good

In my experience, big meetings usually mean job losses.

Forward Strategy is decided by H/Q. not by regional offices.

Tough times ahead all round.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Denarius said:

Interesting that no contributer to this thread has expressed an opinion that the cancellations already announced will be the last. Is there in fact anyone who believes that P&O will recommence cruising in mid November when the current pause expires?

The point is nobody knows about upcoming  cancellations apart from the company, you could make assumptions based on the facts that your cousins uncle twice removed knows someone who used to work for the white star line, and that would be as accurate as you would get.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fionatritton said:

Well we will remain realistic about our Iona cruise on 12th December but secretly hopeful we end up on the maiden with a fab upgrade as we are in a deluxe balcony on select price and the only remaining cabin of a cancelled wedding 😂 

That's pretty much how we feel about our upcoming Iona cruises.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Bit of a bleak outlook you paint but as you have already posted your not going to cruise anytime soon so it doesn’t really worry you, as for us we have the belief that p@o will be taking advice and using best possible practice to keep those who chose to cruise safe, as for coughs and colds  hopefully they will not be allowed to board.

Can we just clear a few things up, seeing as you seem to like to jump on a lot of my posts and criticise them, whilst adding absolutely nothing to the debate yourself other than constantly repeating that you are going to cruise as soon as you are able which, of course, you are perfectly entitled to do. 

There are a lot of us on here who don’t intend to cruise any time soon. You seem to think that this fact renders our views (in particular mine) worthless and we should therefore just shut up. Well you are wrong I am afraid. This forum is not for the sole use of those who are keen to go on the next available cruise. Whilst we personally don’t intend to cruise until we consider it to be safe, or an experience that we would once more enjoy, we have previously enjoyed many cruises over decades and look forward to the day that we can do so again. I have valid and justifiable concerns about the current situation that I have every right to express. Many others share them. They are based on facts and the science of this dreadful virus. You might not like to hear them as it may not suit your desire to get back on a cruise ship as soon as you are able, but that doesn’t make them invalid. 

I have never said that cruises should be banned. That temporary position has been taken by the cruise lines themselves and various governments, including ours, for completely understandable reasons. Whilst we have no intention of joining any of the earliest cruises once they resume, I shall be very glad to see cruise ships sailing again and will watch with great interest what happens, keeping my fingers crossed that they are incident free. If you are amongst that first group of passengers then I sincerely wish you a safe and enjoyable cruise and I shall look forward to hearing about it.

In the meantime, could you please stop repeating the digs that because I have decided not to cruise until we are vaccinated (or the virus is no longer an issue) that my views don’t count. It’s getting very boring. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Bit of a bleak outlook you paint but as you have already posted your not going to cruise anytime soon so it doesn’t really worry you, as for us we have the belief that p@o will be taking advice and using best possible practice to keep those who chose to cruise safe, as for coughs and colds  hopefully they will not be allowed to board.

Judging from the amount of coughing and hacking on the average winter cruise from Southampton, hardly anybody  will be getting on board!

However, on the other hand, the practices that we all follow to prevent the spread of COVID 19 may mean that there will be less colds and flu than normal.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, majortom10 said:

My personal main hope is that P&O i.e. Carnival sell Arcadia before our cruise on her in August and then we will have a clear run until November

My personal hope is that Carnival does not sell Arcadia. Best standard balcony cabins in the fleet, and an ideal sized ship. Once she is sold, our P&O cruising days are over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Judging from the amount of coughing and hacking on the average winter cruise from Southampton, hardly anybody  will be getting on board!

Exactly. That’s my point. I have been on a few trains lately and on two occasions someone in the carriage started coughing heavily. They probably just had a tickle in their throat, maybe choked on some food or had a minor cough or cold, but I found myself moving to another carriage, just in case. I was wearing a mask but, as we know, they provide minimal protection. If I had to move every time someone near me coughed on a winter cruise I think I would get giddy 😂 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My personal hope is that Carnival does not sell Arcadia. Best standard balcony cabins in the fleet, and an ideal sized ship. Once she is sold, our P&O cruising days are over.

Agree entirely. Now for a cuppa and a calm down😉

Avril

• Like 2

Just now, wowzz said:

I agree but the longer the cessation of cruises go on think there is more chance, and dont think we have seen the end of cruise companies, getting rid of older or smaller ships. I am sure there are many will be upset of the demise of smaller ships but unfortunately that is how the cruise industry has been progressing for a number of years with the mass market cruise companies. If you look at other cruise lines i.e. RC and Princess just to name 2 P&O are lagging behind on building bigger ships and nothing to do with Covid-19 but has obviously speeded the process up larger ships are the way forward even as far back as 2008 when Ventura started cruising.

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It’s our favourite ship as well

• Like 1

It's not just being on the ships we have to contend with, we are currently in the premier inn at west quay (after getting withdrawal symptoms at not driving to Southampton to board  a ship) and you can easily tell the home workers from those working in covid secure environments they don't follow one way systems or wear masks even though there's signs everywhere saying please wear a mask when moving around the hotel. If people won't follow guidelines on land, they aren't going to follow them on a ship

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that was a bit harsh Selbourne, Bazrat's comments were not really suggesting your views were invalid  just that they were at total variance to his, and mine as well as it happens, nor did he indicate you should stop posting.  Although those of you who prefer to wait until full normailty is resumed are becoming a bit tedious as you rehash your, quite valid in your view, comments as to why it will be unsafe or unfavourable to cruise until then.

Maybe John, but judging by the number of ‘likes’ of my post (now in double figures) I think a lot of people agree with me. I’m afraid that I had got sick and tired of being told that because I had clearly stated that I didn’t intend to cruise until vaccinated that issues being discussed shouldn’t concern me. It was both said and insinuated multiple times by the same poster. Some people would find that sort of behaviour intimidating and stop posting, but I am not amongst them I’m afraid and my tipping point was reached.

I do have a lot more respect for your views though and if my posts are becoming tedious then I shall dip out for a while and leave the discussion purely to those who are keen to cruise ASAP. It may make for a rather dull one sided conversation, but if that is what is preferred then so be it. I hope that P&O finds a way to resume cruising soon and wish you and all those who sail in the near future safe and enjoyable cruises. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't mind tedious but don't want boring, something which your posts rarely are, but I do exhibit the occasional cringe with some of your comments about the covid crisis.

Ok. Message received. No need to twist the knife any further! Maybe best I say my farewells. Happy cruising everyone. 

P.S. Could some kind sole tell me how you close an account please? I’ve had a quick look and can’t see how to do it. Thanks. 

33 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Ok. Message received. No need to twist the knife any further! Maybe best I say my farewells. Happy cruising everyone. 

P.S. Could some kind sole tell me how you close an account please? I’ve had a quick look and can’t see how to do it. Thanks. 

Selbourne

Your needed on here as the occasional voice of reason, with no axes to grind or personal gain to be had.

The opinions expressed that have got under your skin, are his and his alone.

Pomposity has no boundaries.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Surprised that you wish to up sticks and leave, I thought we was having a difference of opinions.

4 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Selbourne

Your needed on here as the occasional voice of reason, with no axes to grind or personal gain to be had.

The opinions expressed that have got under your skin, are his and his alone.

Pomposity has no boundaries.

True but I will forgive your pomposity 

• Haha 1

Given the current situation it’s unsurprising that there is little to talk about, other than the purely personal, which is being indulged by the moderators, and the possible/potential resumption of cruising, this year, next year, sometime, never.

Being a cruise forum it’s unsurprising that those still posting, 6 months after suspension, would like to cruise again, in the short or long term, though some have health reasons to feel very cautious

What is disappointing, though not, I suppose, surprising, is that there appears to be a little personal edge creeping in to some poss.    It feels almost like cruising has joined the current ‘football-isation’ of current affairs.  Everyone has to support Red or Blue, left or right, stay or go, us or them.  For a country renown for considered thought, and shades of grey discussion, we’ve suddenly shifted to all or nothing and irritation or intolerance of difference 

Imo, for what it’s worth, it wouldn’t take many people to leave or permanently discontinue posting to cause the whole heap of beans to collapse.   I, for one, would appreciate it if we could try to accept that everyone can express their views, in a respectful manner.

Ho hum.  It’s only a forum.  Not important.  I would miss it and my ‘forum friends’ though.  Please try not to break it, everybody

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Please, don't let a couple of people push you off the forum.

I enjoy your measured, insightful posts and think you are a valued member of this community.  You would be missed if you decided to leave.

Have a bit of time out - sometimes a break does you the world of good, but please come back. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Now for a cuppa and a calm down😉

Avril

Could some kind sole tell me how you close an account please? I’ve had a quick look and can’t see how to do it. Thanks. 

Put kettle back on Avril ...:classic_wink:

I thought yesterday was a bit of a sad day but today's a Sadderday  :classic_unsure:  Tomorrow's Sunday !!! 

Let's chill out :classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Given the current situation it’s unsurprising that there is little to talk about, other than the purely personal, which is being indulged by the moderators, and the possible/potential resumption of cruising, this year, next year, sometime, never.

Being a cruise forum it’s unsurprising that those still posting, 6 months after suspension, would like to cruise again, in the short or long term, though some have health reasons to feel very cautious

What is disappointing, though not, I suppose, surprising, is that there appears to be a little personal edge creeping in to some poss.    It feels almost like cruising has joined the current ‘football-isation’ of current affairs.  Everyone has to support Red or Blue, left or right, stay or go, us or them.  For a country renown for considered thought, and shades of grey discussion, we’ve suddenly shifted to all or nothing and irritation or intolerance of difference 

Imo, for what it’s worth, it wouldn’t take many people to leave or permanently discontinue posting to cause the whole heap of beans to collapse.   I, for one, would appreciate it if we could try to accept that everyone can express their views, in a respectful manner.

Ho hum.  It’s only a forum.  Not important.  I would miss it and my ‘forum friends’ though.  Please try not to break it, everybody

Very well said.

As nothing much is happening in the cruising world at the moment apart from cancellations and waiting for cancellations, it's only to be expected that we talk about our own opinions and views, and we all tend to repeat ourselves. 

Everything is so tribal these days, but I thought this forum had done very well to avoid these excesses and that everybody could be confident to express their opinions without unpleasantness from those with differing opinions.

However, I'm not so sure anymore.  I lean towards Selbourne's views, so now I'm wondering if I post about, for example, my doubts about a November restart, certain people are going to turn on me.  When the atmosphere turns toxic, people can't be bothered any more, and just leave the forum.  Eddie is quite right, it doesn't take much to make this happen.

Please, lets all be kind and respectful to each other. 

Thank you

• Like 11

The vast majority would very much appreciate you staying so, even if I knew how to, I wouldn't tell you how to close your account. You are one of those who keep me coming back to this forum.

• Like 12

No need to Selbourne as your posts will stay plus most of us would miss your great advice.

If you think someone is intimidating or not showing due respect in their posts and this applies for everyone just report the post by clicking on the flag and explain why you have reported it and let CC decide.

A few lovely posters have left a few forums unnecessarily.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

Just now, AnnieC said:

The vast majority would very much appreciate you staying so, even if I knew how to, I wouldn't tell you how to close your account. You are one of those who keep me coming back to this forum.

I whole heartedly agree with you. There are a handful of posters on here who are the mainstay of this forum and Selbourne is one. I hope he reconsiders. He would be missed by us all. 

Avril   

• Like 10