Crew retuning

karena1

On 9/8/2020 at 4:28 AM, joelheather said:

Also many BDM’s from various lines have written off any chance of sailing until next year.  They will not start during Flu season while there is an ongoing pandemic.  think logically folks. 

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-november-sailing/

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

Two different admins on  FB groups have posted that on the Wednesday Celebrity TA Town Hall, Celebrity said they are hopeful that they will start cruising in November with Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Apex going out of Port Everglades. I don’t cruise Celebrity but I am hoping that it happens!!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Two different admins on  FB groups have posted that on the Wednesday Celebrity TA Town Hall, Celebrity said they are hopeful that they will start cruising in November with Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Apex going out of Port Everglades. I don’t cruise Celebrity but I am hoping that it happens!!

I wonder if Royal Caribbean is going to start with 2 or 3 ships. I wish they would tell us!

19 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

I wonder if Royal Caribbean is going to start with 2 or 3 ships. I wish they would tell us!

The cruiselines would be ready for a start in November, MSC, Costa and Tui managed to start cruises already by now. However it will depend a lot if COVID cases will go down. Hence, a likely scenario might be that first cruises will only be for Florida residents, hence I guess they will need to bring cases down to max 200 - 300 a day, which doesn't look like it will happen by then but maybe by begining of next year unless a strong further wave will hit the country.

27 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

What the industry needs to do is full fill the CDC’s orders. Then we will know how many ships they have sailing November 1st, or maybe sooner.  That will be the true telling point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Let's hope!  We have Navigator booked for November and Oasis and Indy booked for Dec.  Don't want any more of my cruises cancelled!!!!!!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

What the industry needs to do is full fill the CDC’s orders. Then we will know how many ships they have sailing November 1st, or maybe sooner.  That will be the true telling point. 

Can't figure out how to do a  the article, but this is about PortMiami agreeing to go ahead with cruise-related expansions, and a Commissioner's complaints about the CDC:

The future of the cruise industry remains uncertain. The current ban on cruising expires September 30 and cruise line companies do not expect to set sail until late October.

In all, the county agreed to pay $700 million toward the construction of several cruise line terminals and two company headquarters.

Commissioner Rebeca Sosa expressed frustration with the health officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for not allowing cruises to resume.

She has called on the CDC to sign off on safety protocols the cruise industry wants to use aboard their ships.

“We are not telling them let us cruise tomorrow or let us cruise next month. We are telling them, review the plan, tell us what is right, what is wrong, so we can fix it because at the end of the day, you have thousands of residents of Miami Dade County and the state of Florida that depend on this industry for business,” she said.

Cruise line companies have agreed to repay the county in passengers fees for at least the next two decades, but with ships currently not sailing, no payments have been made.

“Between the cruise line stoppage in mid-March through September, the estimated direct revenue impact to the port is about $55 million,” Kuryla said.

According to the county, the cruise line companies will meet with commissioners in October to go over the passenger fees.

22 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes, of course CDC has to lift the no sail order first. I believe a lot of work is going on behind the scenes to put everything in place for safety first, then sailing. (I think it will start out with just a few ships.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We have been on her numerous times since she was revamped and it is great.  Love, love, love the pool deck.

Was it like this before? I have not been on Navigator in ten years, but it looks like the tables and chairs are spaced out for social distancing. I could be wrong on this! I thought maybe it shows what cruising will be like in the future.

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think this is a great idea. Florida cruises for Florida residents only  and all others sail out of NJ/TX. 😇

I'm from Ohio & have booked the Jewel leaving Galveston on December 22nd.  So they are not turning away out of state residents, at least in Texas.  Besides, would that even be legal? 

8 minutes ago, catlady66 said:

I'm from Ohio & have booked the Jewel leaving Galveston on December 22nd.  So they are not turning away out of state residents, at least in Texas.  Besides, would that even be legal? 

Appears to be legal in Europe

2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

I got nothing going on in November if the Price is Right.😉

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Appears to be legal in Europe

But it's country specific, not region (or state).  Besides, the cruise lines would open themselves up for a crap load of discrimination suits in the US, the most litigious country in the world.

34 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

Was it like this before? I have not been on Navigator in ten years, but it looks like the tables and chairs are spaced out for social distancing. I could be wrong on this! I thought maybe it shows what cruising will be like in the future.

The old layout was like the older ships - now it has a real Caribbean vibe with bright colors, cool new shape to the pool, the 3 store Lime and Coconut bar and such.  Just super cute.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when cruising does start back up.  We're more than likely looking at just a few ships out of FL to start and for shortened cruises  I don't see any ships going out of NJ or Baltimore for a while.  It would be nice if they would be open and honest about it already because I think we're going to see some announcements soon and it won't be pretty.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Why do you think this? 

It seems to me like there have recently been more indicators than in the past about a return to cruising in North America sooner rather than later. 

I’ve been reading cruise related news from various sources, and while nothing is concrete, I believe that all point to a resumption in the next few months. In the past, as we approached the expiration of the no sail order, cruise lines either remained quiet, or voluntarily extended their decision not to sail. This time, it seems to be different:

- Various cruise lines have shown confidence in returning to cruising in November, some even sooner than that. Some have even called it “extremely likely” that we will be cruising by then.

- News coming from ports of call like Cozumel/Riviera Maya have reported that 6 major cruise lines have approached the Mexican government about returning in November as well, and they’ve said that they will welcome cruise ships. The Bahamas will now enter level 3 in their reopening plan on Oct 15th, which means that the next step after that is welcoming cruise ships. 

- Cruise lines  have been busy reshuffling some ships, some which will now be performing short itineraries in the near future. We are starting to get a clearer picture concerning what ships will be where and doing what when cruising resumes.

- We are getting a more concrete picture of what new protocols and procedures will be like. Cruise lines have been revealing these changes, including the use of technology for everything from check in, to new muster drill procedures, to the way we dine onboard, etc. 

- New, affordable, and widely available rapid tests recently approved by the FAA will start being distributed in October. This has been a crucial piece in the puzzle for cruise lines to resume sailing. It’s announcement increased cruise line stocks significantly. 
- It’s been reported on different boards now that crew members from various cruise lines have been recalled, some to return to work as soon as before the end of September. 

All of these things, in addition to the successful relaunch of MSC, TUI, Costa (and Aida) in Europe make me conclude that the cruise lines in North America have been able to sit down with the CDC and present a much more concrete plan of action, and also present procedures and protocols that are already in use and that so far (knock on wood) have proven successful. Maybe the CDC hasn’t given the cruise lines official word that the no sail order will be lifted yet, but maybe they have given the cruise lines enough information to conclude that they will let it expire and not extend it. 

I’m not willing to bet money on a November relaunch, but I feel the most hopeful I’ve been since this whole thing started. If we do start in November, I do think that it will be a very gradual restart. One or two ships from each major cruise line, probably on shorter, itineraries close to home. Then they will add a few more in time for the Christmas/New Years season, and then gradually build up until they have a full deployment by summer 2021.

Probably most if not all protocols currently in place in Europe will be applied to initial cruises from the states as well, which will gradually be modified or reduced as the virus is more controlled. 

This is purely my speculation, piecing together what I’ve been reading in the news and various cruise media outlets. If it happens, great! If not, my ego won’t be hurt. I’m just happy to see things moving in the right direction in the cruise industry again after months of either bad news or no news. 🙂 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BND said:

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when cruising does start back up.  We're more than likely looking at just a few ships out of FL to start and for shortened cruises  I don't see any ships going out of NJ or Baltimore for a while.  It would be nice if they would be open and honest about it already because I think we're going to see some announcements soon and it won't be pretty.  

Something is better than nothing.  It’s progress and a sign of somewhat normalcy.

• Like 1