Jump to content

maybe worth some $$$


Recommended Posts

Just a thought.... I have never been one to invest in cruise line stock....   However,  if a person on the 26 day cruise  had bought NCHL at say $17 a share and bought 100  shares  you would have earned $250 OBC    about a 15% profit.......      and that does not include potential growth of the stock !       Might be worth consideration.. ..... it is plausible that to day is  near all time lows in cruise line stock and  the 2021 startups could produce  dramatic growth % wise +  you get the OBC    for a very modest investment.... Beats CD and bank rates in any event...................... As I said  just a thought

images (3).jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Can you explain exactly how this works? Sounds good.

sure...... you buy 100 shares of NCHL....  notify your agent and send a copy of the holding to O     1. your buying stock at a discount or depressed  cost.   As the stock rises from these levels you have a potential profit. The likely hood that the stock will go down, from these levels is very remote.      2.   On cruises more than 14 days you get a OBC of up to $250      so even if the stock were to remain at its current level, and not grow, you would still have made $      Even if the stock went down $2.50 a share.... you would break even and not loose.

 Ok, I bought 100 shares at $15.50  and today the stock is $18.50...   thats $300 appreciation   + I am taking a 26 day cruise , so I get $250 OBC          Thats $ 550 money in my pocket if is sell the stock  and take the OBC.... thats over 26% profit..      If you use a discount broker to buy the stock  E-trade  Ameritrade etc  there is no commission for purchase or sale........... If you hang on to the stock, then you get OBC's , unlimited as long as you hold the stock..........thats how it works            An other poster , above, bought at $10 a share....  if you add the OBC to his profit.... then he has made over 100%....... .....Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

You only make a profit if you sell them.

Wrong..... you profit from the OBC's you get as long as you hold the stock.... !!   unlimited use... If you took 3 cruises a year  you could make  up to $750 usd...and every year for ever !!! and thats without selling a single share !!!

As fare as stock goes  asied from realestate, winning the lottery, robbing a bank ,stocks are the only  way to make real money....  if you buy quality stock your chances of loosing are minimal   I have paid for the last 5 cruises by investing wisely  even with market volatility in the long run you win

flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

If you bothered to read vertygo’s post that I was answering to you would realise the “profit” referred to was from the price of the stock going up. That is not a “profit” until the stock is sold.

I consider profit any time you make money from any source....  And I did read  your rather skeptical view point... many share it and many loose out.    It is a choice you can make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Wrong..... you profit from the OBC's you get as long as you hold the stock.... !!   unlimited use... If you took 3 cruises a year  you could make  up to $750 usd...and every year for ever !!! and thats without selling a single share !!!

As fare as stock goes  asied from realestate, winning the lottery, robbing a bank ,stocks are the only  way to make real money....  if you buy quality stock your chances of loosing are minimal   I have paid for the last 5 cruises by investing wisely  even with market volatility in the long run you win

flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg

Tax/capital gains implications?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Tax/capital gains implications?

Talk to your CPA..... However when you make below a $15000 gain    most are exempt  from tax as I understand...   Do you declare your OBC's?.... 

 Another way to look at it is no one ever went broke paying on capital gains.   You still made $$$$   .

Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought Royal Caribbean stock years ago and received many OBC because of it. Then, they changed the rules that the OBC was only given if you paid full ticket for the cruise and did not receive any discounts or special pricing. That nullified the OBC worth as there is almost always a special deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Benita said:

We bought Royal Caribbean stock years ago and received many OBC because of it. Then, they changed the rules that the OBC was only given if you paid full ticket for the cruise and did not receive any discounts or special pricing. That nullified the OBC worth as there is almost always a special deal.

We took an Azamara cruise last summer and we got our onboard credit even though the cruise was at a reduced price.  It may have something to do with Royal Caribbean cruises, not the company as a whole.  We have used our NCL stock to get onboard credit on Oceania and Regent and are about breakeven from what we paid for the stock.  The only thing we object to is that when we finally get on the 2022 world cruise we only get $250 for 120 days and much $$$ that we put in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Does the amount of your OBC depend on how long your cruise is?  

 

yes.......1-6 day........$50       7-14 day....$100      15 day+ $250       If you took a    30 day cruise  you could book it at 2 cruises in there were 2  15 day segments and wind up with  $500.0bc.      Maybe if you booked the world cruise in segments ( as an option) you could get OBC for each segment !!     Just a thought     

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, my question which was unasked has now been answered.  14 day cruise = $100 obc; 15 days or more = $250.  Darn, my December cruise is only 14 days!  Think I will purchase today anyway!  Now to my e-trade account.

Donna

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Benita said:

We bought Royal Caribbean stock years ago and received many OBC because of it. Then, they changed the rules that the OBC was only given if you paid full ticket for the cruise and did not receive any discounts or special pricing. That nullified the OBC worth as there is almost always a special deal.

 

We bought 100 shares of RCL many years ago because of the shareholder credit and the fact that the stock price was low.   The stock was less than $20 a share and we got $250 OBC.  We took advantage of the OBC offer on many other Azamara cruises.  Then the rules changed.  No more stockholder credit.  We kept the stock.  Azamara changed the rules again and decided to give the shareholder credit in addition to other promotions.  The stock has paid for itself many times over.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tgg said:

 

We bought 100 shares of RCL many years ago because of the shareholder credit and the fact that the stock price was low.   The stock was less than $20 a share and we got $250 OBC.  We took advantage of the OBC offer on many other Azamara cruises.  Then the rules changed.  No more stockholder credit.  We kept the stock.  Azamara changed the rules again and decided to give the shareholder credit in addition to other promotions.  The stock has paid for itself many times over.  

At the current depressed cruise market you can, if your able, pick up a cheap way to get a decent pay back. Nothing is 100%... However, the old adage on buy low sell high seems very current...   Buy on bad news which we have...  Just saying...  this can be an opportunity not seen in a decade.      For me  and others it is....your call  once the vaccine is approved..... stand back and watch the growth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have owned this stock for awhile and for FWIW it is much more difficult to get the shareholder benefits from NCL than CCL Not saying that it's not a good idea if you want to buy 100 shares but there is also no guarantee that they are going to continue to give share holder benefits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 10:20 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Just a thought.... I have never been one to invest in cruise line stock....   However,  if a person on the 26 day cruise  had bought NCHL at say $17 a share and bought 100  shares  you would have earned $250 OBC    about a 15% profit.......      and that does not include potential growth of the stock !       Might be worth consideration.. ..... it is plausible that to day is  near all time lows in cruise line stock and  the 2021 startups could produce  dramatic growth % wise +  you get the OBC    for a very modest investment.... Beats CD and bank rates in any event...................... As I said  just a thought

 

Earlier this year it was at about $7.  I bought some then.

 

gary

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a great buy.   Last year I had about $1000 in onboard credit from being a shareholder.  I sold in the $50’s at a nice profit when news of the virus was rumored to affect cruising and bought back around $9.  I did the same with RCL.

 

NCLH, RCL and APPL will pay for all my travels next year plus provide some nice OBC.  It’s well worth it!  Although, APPL seems to get it all the profits back as there is always some Apple gadget that we (DH) just has to get.

 

RCL changes their policy to provide OBC with all sailings regardless of promotions.  NCLH does the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 8:13 PM, the more ports the better said:

It is a great buy.   Last year I had about $1000 in onboard credit from being a shareholder.  I sold in the $50’s at a nice profit when news of the virus was rumored to affect cruising and bought back around $9.  I did the same with RCL.

 

NCLH, RCL and APPL will pay for all my travels next year plus provide some nice OBC.  It’s well worth it!  Although, APPL seems to get it all the profits back as there is always some Apple gadget that we (DH) just has to get.

 

RCL changes their policy to provide OBC with all sailings regardless of promotions.  NCLH does the same.

That is how it is done.....Buy on bad news  sell on good   Some stocks carry dividend payments in addition to OBC  so a double win...  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...