Jump to content

Opinion on cruises going early February?


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, brisalta said:

 

What is snow?

I think that's like the stuff that fell on our cars today only water and cold. Plus it gets deep. Like a few inches

Edited by Ombud
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm booked on the Royal Princess Dec 19 2020 which I'm thinking isn't going to happen. I hope I get a nice double deposit FCC if they cancel before I do. The policy as it stands now is 60 days prior to cruise final payment and FCC credits if cancelling 30 days out. I will wait and see and let them cancel first. I'll just keep piling the FCC's higher and deeper!

We are also on that sailing , we keep hoping and would be happy to stay on board all cruise . Princess upgraded us to an aft balcony which would be a real treat for Christmas .

Link to post
Share on other sites

We do have snow once in a while. Almost an inch once a few years back

 

@cruzsnooze on the Sky cruise that was just canceled I got 100-200 OBC if rebooking by October. I've also received 15 OBC for a cancelation.  So the days of dbl FCC may be coming to an end

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I think that's like the stuff that fell on our cars today only water and cold. Plus it gets deep. Like a few inches

 

Seems you are describing the ash that made day become night and the sky bromine colored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darienill said:

Snow?    let me answer that.

Snow is the reason for the cruisen season.          to be poetic. 

 

What is a season? We do not have that here. It is always warm, or warmer or hot depending on the day.

Edited by brisalta
Link to post
Share on other sites

Move 20 miles east and you'll have them. Summers to 100° and winters all the way down to 40° at night in winter (maybe a few 30s° middle of night in January). 60° difference depending on time of year. SF only has a 20-30° spread in the avenues

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Move 20 miles east and you'll have them. Summers to 100° and winters all the way down to 40° at night in winter (maybe a few 30s° middle of night in January). 60° difference depending on time of year. SF only has a 20-30° spread in the avenues

 

It was over 120 in  the tri valley area the other day. All the ash blowing down from Oregon and Mendocino has drastically lowered the temperatures.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously?!? Heard it got that bad in LA but that's LA. It was 112° in Clayton. Thought I'd die. But just 80° today

 

But I digress 

 

Turns out the Sky has new itineraries to replace cancelations so I'm back to "only the magic 8 ball knows if February cruises are good to go"

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites

We're booked on a Panama Canal full crossing in January, I think there's 0% chance this will happen. 

 

Why?

 

- I very much doubt such open jaw cruises will be amongst the first to sail.

- I very much doubt the handful of Caribbean and central American countries will have opened to large cruise ships by then (personally I wouldn't mind a no ports cruise, but I think I'm in the minority on this point).

- I can't see the U.S. opening for transit of foreign crew by year end which is what would be required to onboard staff / quarantine prior to our voyage.

 

Still, we've not cancelled and are holding plane tickets to get to Florida.  I'm not so much expecting a "sweetener" from Princess when they cancel as holding onto the booking as a show of support.   Actually, I put the probability of our July Alaska cruise at something just above 50%.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Only one FCC with MSC. I'm not confident that I'll ever see the money again.

 

You have a better chance of seeing your money from MSC than any other line. They are family owned, and the freight-end of the business makes them plenty of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

We have booked Feb 8 th short cruise that has one day in Nassau ( will not get off) and two days at the private island. Great way to get back on the ocean but will it sail?  We sure hope so!

which cruise line ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two questions really.  Will there be cruises?  If there are cruises would we go?

 

Our answer would be probably not to the first and definitely not to the second question.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a link to an article from 9/10 that has Carnival possibly starting up in November from Miami and Port Canaveral with 6 ships.  https://cruiseradio.net/these-five-carnival-ships-are-scheduled-for-november-cruises/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cruiseandblog%2FhXuX+(Cruise+Radio)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Incidentally--We took the cruise line insurance. Normally we go with Allianz but as this does not involve any flights or stop overs we thought the cruise line insurance might hold up for a short simple cruise. Allianz and probably all others are raising the prices and getting very tough on what they cover.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far the major cruise lines that have restarted in Europe were with newly designed itineraries on a few ships.

 

But Princess still hopes to restart in December with multiple ships with the original itineraries.

 

If Princess does actually restart in December it will be interesting to see if it will be with the original itineraries or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 4:40 AM, jondfk said:

We're booked on a Panama Canal full crossing in January, I think there's 0% chance this will happen. 

 

Why?

 

- I very much doubt such open jaw cruises will be amongst the first to sail.

- I very much doubt the handful of Caribbean and central American countries will have opened to large cruise ships by then (personally I wouldn't mind a no ports cruise, but I think I'm in the minority on this point).

- I can't see the U.S. opening for transit of foreign crew by year end which is what would be required to onboard staff / quarantine prior to our voyage.

 

Still, we've not cancelled and are holding plane tickets to get to Florida.  I'm not so much expecting a "sweetener" from Princess when they cancel as holding onto the booking as a show of support.   Actually, I put the probability of our July Alaska cruise at something just above 50%.

 

We're currently booked on the Royal repo from LA to Vancouver in early May for it's Alaska season. I think I'm with you on the 50% chance of that cruise happening, especially if it appears that Canada will still have the 14 day quarantine/isolation requirement for in-coming travelers. 

Edited by joepeka
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a Hawaii cruise scheduled for April. I give that about a 2% chance of happening. We also have 14 day cruise in Alaska for late August early September.  That I have a 90% chance. We need to have a vaccine and then get it distributed to the whole country 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...