Summer 2022 - Brochure Launch

majortom10

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Was gonna be 22/9 for 06/10 but has been shuffled back in past couple of weeks.

This year has been and remains very worrying and must be a nightmare for Carnival as well as other businesses.  Can I ask if there has been any thoughts though about how all this may progress once a vaccine is in place (assuming one is available and can be administered within the year, which seems to be the current hope)?  We are booked on Aurora for the N. American  Eastern Seaboard next September.  I realise even the existence of the ship could be questioned by then (you have previously said there will be a lot of twists and turns next year if this continues, though felt she was safe this year), but is it expected (or at least hoped) that longer cruises like that will go ahead, perhaps with a ship change if needed.  It appears to be well booked.

I had assumed all would more or less return to the old normal, but pessimism is creeping in now.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

I think the " old normal" is gone...at least for the foreseeable so we may have to accept the " new normal" with perhaps certain restrictions..." jumping through hoops" ....regulations etc....if you are prepared for the " new normal" and accept it then cruising may be an option which comes sooner for you.

Your cruise is next September ....will it be going ahead....possibly...." but I bet even P&O are wondering the same thing.

You are not being pessimistic just being realistic to the possibilities

• Like 7

2 hours ago, tring said:

This year has been and remains very worrying and must be a nightmare for Carnival as well as other businesses.  Can I ask if there has been any thoughts though about how all this may progress once a vaccine is in place (assuming one is available and can be administered within the year, which seems to be the current hope)?  We are booked on Aurora for the N. American  Eastern Seaboard next September.  I realise even the existence of the ship could be questioned by then (you have previously said there will be a lot of twists and turns next year if this continues, though felt she was safe this year), but is it expected (or at least hoped) that longer cruises like that will go ahead, perhaps with a ship change if needed.  It appears to be well booked.

I had assumed all would more or less return to the old normal, but pessimism is creeping in now.

When all this started, I think a lot of people thought that a vaccine would be some sort of magic bullet and at some point in 2021 we'd all be vaccinated and COVID would disappear and life would go on as before.

I feel many have adjusted their expectations  now, and have realised there's still a long way to go with getting safe vaccine ( I see the AstraZeneca trials are paused at present). Any vaccine will unlikely be 100% effective, some people will probably refuse to take it, and the logistics or getting the earth's population vaccinated are mind blowingly complex.

Therefore, I think 2021 will be much like 2020 with all it's uncertainty and restrictions.  Personally, I think they'll be doing well if they get some shorter cruises sailing that are close to home.  

• Like 4

Thank you for the comments re my question and also the likes which show a lot of others are thinking the same.  It is pretty much what I was thinking recently, though as a self confessed pessimist it is good to have the view of others.  I always have a sneaky sense of pride that I am never disappointed, given that I never expect everything to be spot on and that will help me along over the next year or so 🙂

We had just reached the stage when we no longer need to worry about the possibility of having to come home due to responsibilities for an elderly relative, so could be free to go off for up to three months at a time if we wished and had always wanted to do so.  As we have just reached 70, we had hoped to do that sooner rather than later, but it is perhaps not the time to book in the next few months.  We have had a lot of interesting holidays, so cannot complain, but will keep a close eye on what is happening, as I am sure we will all be doing.

It is just so mad that there are businesses out there needing our custom and so many of us would love to give them that custom, but it is not that easy.  I just hope there are companies around to offer us holidays as things do seem to become easier.

Cheers all and thanks again,

Barbara  

• Like 7

My lovely TA emailed me today.  My FCC is still not showing and would I like them to try for a refund instead for my October cruise.  So I said yes to that.  Also, once the 2022 brochure is out, he can move our deposit for April 2021 onto a cruise of my choice for 2022, so that's nice and handy.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

My lovely TA emailed me today.  My FCC is still not showing and would I like them to try for a refund instead for my October cruise.  So I said yes to that.  Also, once the 2022 brochure is out, he can move our deposit for April 2021 onto a cruise of my choice for 2022, so that's nice and handy.

Surprised your ta as not contacted P&O multiple people on Facebook have contacted them about FCC not being added and was told the same as us it will be added when payment is due.

He has contacted them, only to be told they are working through them.  Apparently there are 20 people only working on P&O and Cunard refunds and FCCs but there is a full Marketing Team.  That does tell you something.

Also, I have not booked another cruise, the FCC is supposed to just sit on my account to use when I want.  So I took the option of an FCC OR a transfer.  That option only lasted 2 days.

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

He has contacted them, only to be told they are working through them.  Apparently there are 20 people only working on P&O and Cunard refunds and FCCs but there is a full Marketing Team.  That does tell you something.

That’s the answer then they are working there way through them, yes it tells me that they are trying to keep everyone happy by taking bookings as quickly as possible, because  the next thing people would complain  about that’s there not enough staff to take bookings at P&O 

On 9/10/2020 at 3:48 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Therefore, I think 2021 will be much like 2020 with all it's uncertainty and restrictions.  Personally, I think they'll be doing well if they get some shorter cruises sailing that are close to home.  

That bodes well for our Alaska cruise next June.

Fairly short and close to home ( that is if you live in Vancouver)😁

• Like 1

We have a cruise booked for April 2021 for hubby's 60th (it was supposed to cheer him up), but I thnk we will be cancelling it and moving the deposit to a cruise in 2022. Hopefully, things will have settled down by then, or at least the risk and restrictions eased.  We are actually thinking of a cruise from Southampton as not flying will be one less thing to worry about. 

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 2:08 PM, jeanlyon said:

I have seen it written in several places that if you transfer / book a cruise using fcc, the agent gets less or no commission. If you take a refund and make a new booking, they get their full commission because it is a new booking and not a transfer. You lose out on the 125% fcc, and they get their commission. It is therefore advantageous for the agent to encourage you to take a refund and if you intend booking with P&O in the future, you lose the 25% uplift fcc provides. Not sure how true this is because I book direct and have made one fcc booking and have one pending for Summer 2022, but I have seen it mentioned a few times and it seems a sensible practice for P&O to employ.

17 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have seen it written in several places that if you transfer / book a cruise using fcc, the agent gets less or no commission. If 

But if you use the same TA, would not the TA get the commission either from the original booking or from the new one?

When our worldie was cancelled the TA tried, quite persuasively to get us to make a new booking.  I don't actually recall them mentioning the R word.

They didn't fully know what they were talking about (we were considering booking a B2B), and kept saying that we had to spend the full amount of the FCC in full!  After a bit of discussion on that point, they checked and accepted that that wasn't the case.

They called me the next day asking if we wanted to re-book.  No thank you.

Re-booked a week later direct with PandO.  And I was right about the B2B issue.

Well I am in the curious situation that P&O first of all allowed either a 110% FCC or a transfer.  We took the FCC.  2 days later, they removed the option of just having the Fcc and you could only transfer.   As after 2 months, they then cancelled the cruise, I then took the option of a refund.  So now I don't know where we are.  The FCC is not showing on the account and it's a bit early to know if the refund will be processed.  Wait and see I guess.

I am very glad to learn that the deposit on our 2021 cruise in April can be moved freely to a cruise in 2022 once they are out.  T

Edited by jeanlyon

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But if you use the same TA, would not the TA get the commission either from the original booking or from the new one?

It would seem so but not both if fcc is used to transfer. It would hardly be surprising if some agents pushed the refund so they would keep the commission on the original and be given it on the new booking, rather than a transferred one where they may not get any commission because it is not ‘new money’. As I said, I am only referring to what I have been told and haven’t tested it myself.