Jump to content

Summer 2022 - Brochure Launch


Recommended Posts

I think I'm rather glad that my deposits are only £50 pp.  Only problem is that if I want to move the deposits to another cruise, I would still have to pay more to book, as that £50 deposit only applies when you book on board ship.  Not sure I am willing to pay any more upfront.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sweep2907 said:

Do any of you knowledgeable lot know what rough dates this new 2022 brochure will take us up to? I assume it does not quite cover Transatlantic cruises October 2022? I do seem to remember booking one of these in the spring before 18 month beforehand.

I do not believe that the Caribbeann TA repositioning cruises have been in previous summer brochures, and with the current uncertainty I doubt that P&O will combine this launch with the winter 22/23 season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, wowzz said:

If the new protocols are still in force in mid 22, I cannot see how cruising will survive. People may accept the need for official excursions only, for a short while, but not long term. The same with no mixed tables, masks etc. When a cruise becomes an ordeal, people will refuse to pay.

Think you are right, the cruise companies cannot sustain from March 2020 until mid 2022 on reduced income. We are going to move our Feb 21 to summer 22 if the transfer rule stays in place at brochure launch, if not we will lose the deposit on it.

We have a cruise in Sept 2021 which we will move also if the protocols are still in place then, but we are hopeful all will be OK then as it is almost a year away. We will not cruise while the protocols are in place, going ashore in different places is the reason we cruise and quite frankly the product with the protocols in place is not worth the cost anyway. Would be better with a hotel holiday with some freedom of movement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think I'm rather glad that my deposits are only £50 pp.  Only problem is that if I want to move the deposits to another cruise, I would still have to pay more to book, as that £50 deposit only applies when you book on board ship.  Not sure I am willing to pay any more upfront.

We had a similar problem. 

 

By adding a short cruise to an existing departure with the same cabin etc, we avoided paying more deposit as the £50 pp covered it.  This was because the £50 pp was around the normal deposit value at the 15% rate.  Not sure if the current deal is 5%.  

 

Our plan involves (assuming it goes) the same number of journeys to Southampton, just a couple of days extra on board.  Might be a possible solution if you become stuck?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We will not cruise while the protocols are in place, going ashore in different places is the reason we cruise and quite frankly the product with the protocols in place is not worth the cost anyway. Would be better with a hotel holiday with some freedom of movement.

The more I think about it, the less this organised excursion lark will work. 

 

It will exclude quite a few of the current trips:

 

- Shopping / independent exploration of a city; will not be allowed.

- Go to a beach - banned.

- Trips involving tours of indoor museums, exhibition etc - likely to be affected by capacity restrictions and social distancing measures.

- Family style trips - a number will also fall foul.

 

What you will be left with are the guided walking tours or the people on the coaches who go on and on and on (read the more expensive excursions) ... that's some people's thing, not ours!

 

I agree a hotel / villa arrangement feels more preferable where you can book what you want and when...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

The more I think about it, the less this organised excursion lark will work. 

 

It will exclude quite a few of the current trips:

 

- Shopping / independent exploration of a city; will not be allowed.

- Go to a beach - banned.

- Trips involving tours of indoor museums, exhibition etc - likely to be affected by capacity restrictions and social distancing measures.

- Family style trips - a number will also fall foul.

 

What you will be left with are the guided walking tours or the people on the coaches who go on and on and on (read the more expensive excursions) ... that's some people's thing, not ours!

 

I agree a hotel / villa arrangement feels more preferable where you can book what you want and when...

I just googled to find that in 2017 over the busiest 5 day period just under 400,000 holidaymakers flew into Malaga airport, which got me to thinking why with covid would it be OK for these tourists to wander around the Costa del Sol resorts on their own, whilst a few thousand ship passengers need to be shepherded around on ships tours only?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I just googled to find that in 2017 over the busiest 5 day period just under 400,000 holidaymakers flew into Malaga airport, which got me to thinking why with covid would it be OK for these tourists to wander around the Costa del Sol resorts on their own, whilst a few thousand ship passengers need to be shepherded around on ships tours only?

That was 2017 John, and no pandemic. I things would be much different if you compared it to 2020.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time I’m thinking of moving my September 2021 cruise. I know it’s not for a while yet but for us it’s an expensive cruise and I don’t know I could spend that much money on a reduced experience, especially the onshore bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

For the first time I’m thinking of moving my September 2021 cruise. I know it’s not for a while yet but for us it’s an expensive cruise and I don’t know I could spend that much money on a reduced experience, especially the onshore bit.

I think you may be ok with that cruise. However, from my experience a huge part of the enjoyment of the cruise is the excitement, planning and anticipation beforehand. If you going to worry about it then it’s not worth it and may be a good idea to change to one in 2022 when surely things have to be better.....?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

The more I think about it, the less this organised excursion lark will work. 

 

It will exclude quite a few of the current trips:

 

- Shopping / independent exploration of a city; will not be allowed.

- Go to a beach - banned.

- Trips involving tours of indoor museums, exhibition etc - likely to be affected by capacity restrictions and social distancing measures.

- Family style trips - a number will also fall foul.

 

What you will be left with are the guided walking tours or the people on the coaches who go on and on and on (read the more expensive excursions) ... that's some people's thing, not ours!

 

I agree a hotel / villa arrangement feels more preferable where you can book what you want and when...

From our perspective there are a few ports out there where we would be quite happy to stay on board, like Vigo (not a lot there for us), Lisbon (been there on cruises loads of times).  There are some (but not many) places where there are/were ships excursions that we would be happy to go on.  We're ok with the onboard protocols as currently described, just need the right itinery.  A week or 10 days cruise to nowhere would be ok for us as well, as opposed to being confined on board when none of the ship's excursions suit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I just googled to find that in 2017 over the busiest 5 day period just under 400,000 holidaymakers flew into Malaga airport, which got me to thinking why with covid would it be OK for these tourists to wander around the Costa del Sol resorts on their own, whilst a few thousand ship passengers need to be shepherded around on ships tours only?

Hi....maybe the reasoning is that it keeps everyone on the excursion within the ship's bubble....less chance of picking the virus up and bringing it onboard and the consequences of that....

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

For the first time I’m thinking of moving my September 2021 cruise. I know it’s not for a while yet but for us it’s an expensive cruise and I don’t know I could spend that much money on a reduced experience, especially the onshore bit.

That’s a similar situation to us.

In the last few months of next year, it’s our 40th wedding anniversary and my husband’s 70th wedding anniversary.

As  it’s a special time for us, we’ve booked two ‘big’  cruises within a three month time period.

I’m not happy to risk spending huge sums of money on a lesser cruise experience.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....maybe the reasoning is that it keeps everyone on the excursion within the ship's bubble....less chance of picking the virus up and bringing it onboard and the consequences of that....

That’s how I understand it. The measures are to reduce the risk of a passenger (or crew member) picking up the virus and bringing it back to the ship, where it could easily spread, due to the ship being a closed community 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

That was 2017 John, and no pandemic. I things would be much different if you compared it to 2020.

Avril

I did not include road and rail holidaymakers which would have massively increased the number.  Now while I agree these are pre covid figures, once holidays restart, cruise ship passengers will, in major tourist areas, stil be a fairly minor component of total tourists, so why should they be treated differently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I did not include road and rail holidaymakers which would have massively increased the number.  Now while I agree these are pre covid figures, once holidays restart, cruise ship passengers will, in major tourist areas, stil be a fairly minor component of total tourists, so why should they be treated differently.

How do you know they will be John? It' all guesswork and 'what ifs' at the moment.  I'd rather wait and see, after all, covid could 'disappear like a miracle'😁

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

How do you know they will be John? It' all guesswork and 'what ifs' at the moment.  I'd rather wait and see, after all, covid could 'disappear like a miracle'😁

Avril

Avril, I was addressing the specific issue of cruise passengers not being allowed to go ashore, but hotel holidaymakers given free reign. I agree that assumes a lot, but it would be the likely outcome if current cruising protocols are adopted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Do we have any inside info on the summer 2020 itineraries and do you think it will be a 5% low deposit ? .I remember last year someone had this info .

Given P&O's track record, I would say that the itineraries will be much of a muchness, and,  with Oceana gone, the chances of visiting new, interesting, smaller ports, will be even less than before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Avril, I was addressing the specific issue of cruise passengers not being allowed to go ashore, but hotel holidaymakers given free reign. I agree that assumes a lot, but it would be the likely outcome if current cruising protocols are adopted.

We are off to a hotel in the New forest at the end of the month . The hotel procedure is masks in public areas, book tables for restaurants, social distancing in lounges. Same as on a cruise under new normal. We will pop out during the day somewhere and will wear masks where required and social distance. If on a cruise,if  we need to either go on a ship excursion, or stay on board, no big deal. If we stay on the ship no doubt they will lay on some entertainment , so we may win another few keyrings. We have 2 cruises booked for 2020 and whatever procedures are in place we will enjoy them.  We just had our flu jabs. The experience was just as enjoyable as previous years. The old magazines were not available, so no entertainment at all. In spite of that we will still go up for our Covid jabs. The vaccine won't be long now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The vaccine won't be long now.

As we are entering Panto season - "Oh yes it will"

If by "soon" you mean the middle of next year, possibly. But that won't help change cruise protocols.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As we are entering Panto season - "Oh yes it will"

If by "soon" you mean the middle of next year, possibly. But that won't help change cruise protocols.

My guess is as good as yours. I am happy with the procedures that the cruise industry have developed. We will see what CDC come up with on cruises restarting. Soon.😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are off to a hotel in the New forest at the end of the month . The hotel procedure is masks in public areas, book tables for restaurants, social distancing in lounges. Same as on a cruise under new normal. We will pop out during the day somewhere and will wear masks where required and social distance. If on a cruise,if  we need to either go on a ship excursion, or stay on board, no big deal. If we stay on the ship no doubt they will lay on some entertainment , so we may win another few keyrings. We have 2 cruises booked for 2020 and whatever procedures are in place we will enjoy them.  We just had our flu jabs. The experience was just as enjoyable as previous years. The old magazines were not available, so no entertainment at all. In spite of that we will still go up for our Covid jabs. The vaccine won't be long now.

Hi...think you may have to enjoy your two cruises booked for 2020 in your imagination :classic_unsure:🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi...think you may have to enjoy your two cruises booked for 2020 in your imagination :classic_unsure:🙂

They sure will go, but not from the NW.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

They sure will go, but not from the NW.🤣

True....by the look of it we won't be going anywhere 😕 but I still think you are being very optimistic about two cruises this year 😃

Edited by janny444
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, janny444 said:

True....by the look of it we won't be going anywhere 😕 but I still think you are being very optimistic about two cruises this year 😃

Apologies. I typed 2021, but obviously spell check is glass half full as well and wants me to go this year. Perhaps a bit optimistic. But who knows,?.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...