Grandiosa crew member tests positive for Covid

emmas gran

12 minutes ago, sidari said:

Rumour is that the person had not yet joined the ship! No ultimate proof of the story.

The article is informative; I'm not sure if the crew member joined the ship in 14-day quarantine as per MSC protocols and then was removed.  Take a look.

http://crew-center.com/msc-grandiosa-crew-member-tests-positive-covid-19-during-screening-phase

• Like 1

• Members

Hi all - 

Wanted to let you know that we followed up with MSC on this. Here's what they told us: 

"This is indeed another proof that our protocol is working effectively. This crew member was never in touch with any crew, guest or anyone else for that matter, as she tested positive at the end of her 14-day isolation period that all crew go through before - if they test negative at the PCR test - they join the rest of the crew. As a reminder, this is the third test. Prior to this, every crew member goes through an initial test before leaving their country of origin and travel by charter with other fellow crew members to the embarkation port. There, all crew go through a second test then go into 14-day isolation prior to the third test. Each of the three tests must be negative for the crew member to move to the next phase of screening."

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Hi all - 

Wanted to let you know that we followed up with MSC on this. Here's what they told us: 

"This is indeed another proof that our protocol is working effectively. This crew member was never in touch with any crew, guest or anyone else for that matter, as she tested positive at the end of her 14-day isolation period that all crew go through before - if they test negative at the PCR test - they join the rest of the crew. As a reminder, this is the third test. Prior to this, every crew member goes through an initial test before leaving their country of origin and travel by charter with other fellow crew members to the embarkation port. There, all crew go through a second test then go into 14-day isolation prior to the third test. Each of the three tests must be negative for the crew member to move to the next phase of screening."

Of course the newspapers didn't bother to get all the facts.  They just want to keep everyone living in fear and buying their papers.  Bravo, MSC on your protocols which seem to be very effective!

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Hi all - 

Thanks.  Facts are very informative.

• Like 1

It seems the crew member was onboard the ship and was taken away by Ambulance, it is good news that the system is working well but at some point there would have to be contact with a crew member in order to carry out the tests.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidari said:

It seems the crew member was onboard the ship and was taken away by Ambulance, it is good news that the system is working well but at some point there would have to be contact with a crew member in order to carry out the tests.

Sure, there is also contact with the terminal crew members performing the C19 tests.  Someone has to perform the tests.  I guess I don't understand what "there would have to be contact" means; should that person be considered quarantined too?

From the videos and reports, those conducting the tests look protected similarly to those that have performed the tests at most testing sites globally?  Or, am I missing something.

7 hours ago, sidari said:

MSC said there was No contact with the person concerned! There has to be.

I believe "No Contact" actually means "no UNPROTECTED contact." If a person is wearing full PPE (and I'm pretty sure those performing COVID testing were), then that is not considered contact. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Of course the newspapers didn't bother to get all the facts.  They just want to keep everyone living in fear and buying their papers.  Bravo, MSC on your protocols which seem to be very effective!

Actually the article never stated she was onboard.  It said after the long testing protocol she tested positive at the end.  

Correct me if I’m wrong with this line of thinking...It seems to me she had to have contracted it either the day she arrived on the flight to Europe or once onboard in order to test negative twice and then test positive after 2 whole weeks onboard. To me, that would make me nervous someone had Covid at some point and gave it to her on the chartered flight or once onboard. I mean, if within the 2 week window to develop symptoms, she was either alone or with other crew members only, surely someone else had to have had it, right? 

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that the two week quarantine is happening on shore, not on the ship.  They do not get to board until after the two weeks and the final negative test.  If that's the case, she could have caught it from someone in the hotel, etc. during quarantine, or during the travel to the port.

20 hours ago, sidari said:

Well MSC said this, so someone isn't telling the truth......

This crew member was never in touch with any crew, guest or anyone else for that matter,

• Like 1

A crew member that I correspond with is now on Grandiosa and the process was the swabs in terminal before boarding then they were quarantined in a guest cabin for 14 days.  Meals were served to them in the cabin and temps taken 2x daily as well as more swabs for testing.  Only after staying negative for those 14 days were they allowed to go to work.   So it seems the lady that tested positive was already under the 14 day quarantine on the ship which means she was isolated from all others on the ship.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, Cruisergal1208 said:

A crew member that I correspond with is now on Grandiosa and the process was the swabs in terminal before boarding then they were quarantined in a guest cabin for 14 days.  Meals were served to them in the cabin and temps taken 2x daily as well as more swabs for testing.  Only after staying negative for those 14 days were they allowed to go to work.   So it seems the lady that tested positive was already under the 14 day quarantine on the ship which means she was isolated from all others on the ship.

This is how I understood also. The crew member was on board although isolated. I would like to know if in those cases there is absolute security that no aerosols transmission through air conditioning takes place. How do they avoid this type of transmission?

Ivi

• Like 1

Well Grandiosa set sail tonight bang on time. So whatever the situation, it hasn't stopped her cruising. I watched her depart from the hot tub at the top of the Grand Hotel Savoia. Complete with a glass of prosecco. 

Only thing to beat that would have been on board. Alas, I'm British and I am under an embargo 😂

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, sidari said:

?

Are you saying the testing is done by crew members?  I'd have assumed there is a separate medical team.  As for the ambulance, do you have a link, as this information was not in the MSC statement?

On 9/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Hi all - 

Thanks for this.  It makes me more hopeful about my 11/7/2020 cruise out of Miami.

• Like 1