Little bit (small bit) of humor

EasyGoingGuy

Killing time I was thinking about various things regarding our future cruise.  I wondered what the surcharge was for Privee.  Did a quick internet search which turned up nothing.  So, the logical thing (to me) was FAQ's on 'O's site...nothing. So I went to 'O's  Guest Services "Contact Us" and sent a message.  Simple question simple reply right?...Ah, no...I received this.... "Thank you for contacting the Special Services Department.   Kindly note since you are booked through a Travel Advisor, we must refer you back to xxxxx xxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxxx and she can assist you with the requested pricing information."  Really.  I'll give the 'Special Services Coordinator' the benefit of the doubt that she didn't understand my question... but it was a really, really simple clear question.  I just had to chuckle.   ☺️      Oh, and I still don't know what the Privee surcharge is.

4 minutes ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

Killing time I was thinking about various things regarding our future cruise.  I wondered what the surcharge was for Privee.  Did a quick internet search which turned up nothing.  So, the logical thing (to me) was FAQ's on 'O's site...nothing. So I went to 'O's  Guest Services "Contact Us" and sent a message.  Simple question simple reply right?...Ah, no...I received this.... "Thank you for contacting the Special Services Department.   Kindly note since you are booked through a Travel Advisor, we must refer you back to xxxxx xxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxxx and she can assist you with the requested pricing information."  Really.  I'll give the 'Special Services Coordinator' the benefit of the doubt that she didn't understand my question... but it was a really, really simple clear question.  I just had to chuckle.   ☺️      Oh, and I still don't know what the Privee surcharge is.

$250.

Next time, call. The email is primarily for problems and it will take time for an answer. 

• Thanks 1

In the past, Oceania always had a calendar of open/available days for booking Privee. If you started a fake booking, it would give you the $250 charge and ask for payment method, much like booking shore excursions. However, in the last year or so the calendar seems to have disappeared and one must call O directly to find availability. Poor backtrack of service, imo. Why make it harder than it needs to be?

Thanks.  I thought calling was overkill for such a simple question and, it was after their business hours when I thought of it.  She spent more time telling me why she couldn't answer a customer's (per the form I provided my res. #) question than it would have taken to type $250.  I do appreciate your reply Flatbush.

Edited by EasyGoingGuy
punctuation

50 minutes ago, WholeNewWorld said:

What is Privee?  LOL

A wonderful elegant dining room for up to 10 guests with private and attentive servers.

The menu includes anything from Toscana or Polo as the dining room sits between these 2 kitchens.

The best way to spend an evening with some new and old friends. Can use OBC to pay for it as well.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

A wonderful elegant dining room for up to 10 guests with private and attentive servers.

The menu includes anything from Toscana or Polo as the dining room sits between these 2 kitchens.

The best way to spend an evening with some new and old friends. Can use OBC to pay for it as well.

That $250 is in addition to paying for the meal? It seems that $250 for a dinner for ten is very low. But I don't know that.

The meals come from Toscana and Polo (adjacent) so there would be no additional fee. I understand that they offer a menu ("Choose from several different gourmet menus to create a decadent and unforgettable occasion") that according to their site can be altered as you chose with dishes from Polo and Toscana. The $250 is for the space and personal attention. Someone  please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

The meals come from Toscana and Polo (adjacent) so there would be no additional fee. I understand that they offer a menu ("Choose from several different gourmet menus to create a decadent and unforgettable occasion") that according to their site can be altered as you chose with dishes from Polo and Toscana. The $250 is for the space and personal attention. Someone  please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is $250 for the room for the night and food is free. Never heard about gourmet menus there - are you thinking of La Reserve?

You can either split the cost per guest or in our case we had $250+ left over in our OBC and just invited a few friends to join us.

Another time we had 6 family members.

1 hour ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

You get menus from Polo & Toscana  so you can mix & match from both menus 

57 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It is $250 for the room for the night and food is free. Never heard about gourmet menus there - are you thinking of La Reserve?

You can either split the cost per guest or in our case we had $250+ left over in our OBC and just invited a few friends to join us.

Another time we had 6 family members.

I must have been thinking of La Reserve. Thanks as usual.

From Oceania's website... "Host a private party for up to 10 privileged guests in our most exclusive onboard dining venue, Privée. Witness culinary magic presented on a custom-built table designed by the famed Dakota Jackson and illuminated by a golden Venini chandelier. The exquisite setting is adorned with Baroque millwork and Ferrari-red carpeting. The cuisine is equally superb. Choose from several different gourmet menus to create a decadent and unforgettable occasion. Within the sanctum of Privée, dining engages all of the senses, leaving you and your guests immensely fulfilled."  From what I'm hearing this isn't true unless they're referring to the menus from Polo and Toscana. 

We booked Privee a few years ago for just ourselves and two relatives we traveled with.  I used OBC but you have to book onboard to use it for Privee (we had no trouble booking a night-got our actual anniversary!-even on a summer Russian cruise, other times might be different).  It is true that you just chose what you want from Polo and Toscana, but it is still a fun time with all the personal attention.  The waiter was friendly and obliging to us in the MDR for the rest of the cruise.  I thought it was one of the best uses of OBC.  As said above, it has usually not been a problem to find out what it costs.

9 hours ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

Choose from several different gourmet menus to create a decadent and unforgettable occasion. Within the sanctum of Privée, dining engages all of the senses, leaving you and your guests immensely fulfilled."  From what I'm hearing this isn't true unless they're referring to the menus from Polo and Toscana. 

Maybe they have changed  the menu option  but in 2018 it was just Polo/Toscana menus

In the early days of Privee  you could talk to the Chef & get food made specially  but  the price  was about $1000. back then

In 2019 it was still the menus from T&PG.

However, creativity is allowed! I most often  put together a group from our Roll Call and do our own wine paired meals. If we choose we can do an Italian evening with great Barolo, Brunello, etc. Perhaps we choose a different variety and just do Pinot Noir or do primarily Cab or Bordeaux blends. Lots of wine options especially when visiting places like South America or Oz/NZ!

But here is where the creativity comes in. If the Group is supportive ( most are), why be limited to just one main course? Have the kitchen prepare steaks , rack of lamb, pork chops, fish, etc and pre slice them and deliver to the table for sharing! Take some of each. A bit of this, a couple bites of that with each of the wines to gain knowledge and see how the pairings go.

Likewise, we have used different methods with the wines. Sometimes, we drink one bottle then the next. Other times we might have four red ( or white) wine glasses before us, tasting the wines side by side with the food.

It is the Privee! It is private dining with exceptional service. The opportunities for an exceptional evening are only limited by your imagination. A wonderful and inexpensive place to break out of one’s staid ruts and routines and have a tremendous evening!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

But here is where the creativity comes in. If the Group is supportive ( most are), why be limited to just one main course? Have the kitchen prepare steaks , rack of lamb, pork chops, fish, etc and pre slice them and deliver to the table for sharing! Take some of each. A bit of this, a couple bites of that with each of the wines to gain knowledge and see how the pairings go.

I am sure this is perfect for many but not for me. I have my favorites from each menu and I want to enjoy those. I don't eat lamb or fish and not everyone likes the same cut of beef or how well it's done.

I like what I like and that is what I want (not what others may like).

Paul ;

It’s your option, it’s your choice! I’m just saying the Group, and individuals thereof, can be creative, or NOT! It’s private dining. If you want your plate to yourself that is always the de facto position!

Why always the negativity ?

Edited by pinotlover

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Why always the negativity ?

I think I have the same right to post my opinion as do you.

I just commented on how I feel about your suggestion. Some will love it (as I said they might) and others will not.

If you have 10 people then you would need 10 slices each of steak, lamb, fish, pork chops, etc so that everyone can have at least one piece. May work for a smaller group.

To each their own.

FWIW, it's not negativity - it's just that over the years we tend to agree on very few things as we appear to be very different individuals. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

PS

As an answer to a question asked elsewhere on this board, I would no more like to have a dinner with you than you would want to have a dinner with me. We would not agree on anything being discussed although I would hope that we might remain civil.

Edited by Paulchili

Though intellectually difficult for some to grasp, my point was that the private dining environment of the Privee allows a group to be creative and to do new and different things as they so choose . I merely gave an example of such.  Whether anyone else finds any of many possible options personally desirable is not the point. Enjoy whatever options you may want to explore in the Privee. Life outside the Box can be adventuresome , if that is something that interests one.

Though intellectually difficult for some to grasp,

Please read  how you  post.  You accuse some folks of being negative, but then you post a response which intends to insult the poster.  You could have responded beginning below  without the implied ad hominem, above, and still made your point.

my point was that the private dining environment of the Privee allows a group to be creative and to do new and different things as they so choose . I merely gave an example of such.  Whether anyone else finds any of many possible options personally desirable is not the point. Enjoy whatever options you may want to explore in the Privee. Life outside the Box can be adventuresome , if that is something that interests one.

• Like 5