Jump to content

Miami-Dade & Broward Phase 2


Recommended Posts

It all comes down to case numbers.  The US is a long way from getting them down to the same range where Europe allowed cruising to start.  The US would need to be in the 5000 new cases per day to reach that range. While heading downward the US is still about 36000 per day.

 

The counts in France have been going up and now we have a French passengers having COVID on a river cruise in Portugal.  The best way to prevent infections on a cruise ship is to have a low rate in the populations the cruisers are coming from.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't hold my breath.  Despite the exasperation directed at CDC during yesterday's Tourism and Ports Committee meeting  see little hope that cruising will resume anytime soon.  Especially damning to me was CDC's statement that 7 ships in layup experienced new covid cases last month.  If ships with minimal staffing can't be kept virus free how can they allow thousands of passengers on board?

 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article245624180.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Wouldn't hold my breath.  Despite the exasperation directed at CDC during yesterday's Tourism and Ports Committee meeting  see little hope that cruising will resume anytime soon.  Especially damning to me was CDC's statement that 7 ships in layup experienced new covid cases last month.  If ships with minimal staffing can't be kept virus free how can they allow thousands of passengers on board?

 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article245624180.html

As with most of the Herald articles it is very fact filled and informative.  Unfortunately even by reporting the facts the article does put the cruise line response as being rather poor. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that the cruise industry has yet to provide revised protocols to the CDC, so the ball is still in its court. NCL's health protocol proposal, to be submitted within the next ten days, is a start.

 

I was unpleasantly surprised to see that there were at least seven ships in US waters reporting possible COVID-19 cases during August. I don't recall this information being published previously.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately as things start to open up, looks like the numbers start going back  up!  I don't think we'll be as excited about cruising now, as we did back in 2003!  It's just not the same feeling about cruising, 😒

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It appears that the cruise industry has yet to provide revised protocols to the CDC, so the ball is still in its court. NCL's health protocol proposal, to be submitted within the next ten days, is a start.

 

I was unpleasantly surprised to see that there were at least seven ships in US waters reporting possible COVID-19 cases during August. I don't recall this information being published previously.

I'm curious about your last paragraph.  I had not seen that either.  When you say ships are they speaking about cruise ships?  Meaning those just sailing around with minimal staff waiting for cruising to begin again?  If so, I'm wondering how in the heck the virus is even getting onto those ships if no one is going ashore?  I know they need supplies - is there that much virus spreading during that process?  Yikes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm curious about your last paragraph.  I had not seen that either.  When you say ships are they speaking about cruise ships?  Meaning those just sailing around with minimal staff waiting for cruising to begin again?  If so, I'm wondering how in the heck the virus is even getting onto those ships if no one is going ashore?  I know they need supplies - is there that much virus spreading during that process?  Yikes!

Given the context and the surrounding paragraphs, I've no doubt that they are referring to cruise ships.

 

Crew continue to contract COVID-19 aboard laid-up ships, according to CDC data obtained by the Miami Herald via a Freedom of Information Act request. At least seven ships in U.S. waters during the month of August reported COVID-19 or COVID-like illnesses to the CDC that month.

 

Like you, I imagine that the provisioning of the ships is responsible for introducing the virus onboard. Curious minds would like to know whether these cases were scattered across several line or a single line using the same source(s) for supplies.

 

The fact that the information was only acquired through a Freedom of Information Act request I find quite troubling. Clearly, the line(s) involved aren't being open about these cases, yet another talking point for cruise critics.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Given the context and the surrounding paragraphs, I've no doubt that they are referring to cruise ships.

 

Crew continue to contract COVID-19 aboard laid-up ships, according to CDC data obtained by the Miami Herald via a Freedom of Information Act request. At least seven ships in U.S. waters during the month of August reported COVID-19 or COVID-like illnesses to the CDC that month.

 

Like you, I imagine that the provisioning of the ships is responsible for introducing the virus onboard. Curious minds would like to know whether these cases were scattered across several line or a single line using the same source(s) for supplies.

 

The fact that the information was only acquired through a Freedom of Information Act request I find quite troubling. Clearly, the line(s) involved aren't being open about these cases, yet another talking point for cruise critics.

 

 

Really disappointing.  If the cruise lines can't protect the crew, how can they protect the passengers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP brenderlou, I know you are excited about your possible upcoming cruise but I just don't see it happening. I admire your optimism but this virus is far from contained and you just need to listen to the health experts to get the real facts. Among other bad news, there are outbreaks on college campuses in all fifty states. You couldn't pay me to cruise right now.😞

Link to post
Share on other sites

We did a Lift and Shift into Jan 2022.

If that is not a go, we will write off our FCC as a loss and give up! That would be very sad!

 

Spent yesterday purging some old cruise  files includng dailies, menus excursion notes.  Nice memories doing it but time to move ahead!

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Given the context and the surrounding paragraphs, I've no doubt that they are referring to cruise ships.

 

Crew continue to contract COVID-19 aboard laid-up ships, according to CDC data obtained by the Miami Herald via a Freedom of Information Act request. At least seven ships in U.S. waters during the month of August reported COVID-19 or COVID-like illnesses to the CDC that month.

 

Like you, I imagine that the provisioning of the ships is responsible for introducing the virus onboard. Curious minds would like to know whether these cases were scattered across several line or a single line using the same source(s) for supplies.

 

The fact that the information was only acquired through a Freedom of Information Act request I find quite troubling. Clearly, the line(s) involved aren't being open about these cases, yet another talking point for cruise critics.

 

Worse, article states that only ships in US waters are required to report covid data to CDC and CCL (assume all their brands) moved all ships away from US to avoid reporting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Worse, article states that only ships in US waters are required to report covid data to CDC and CCL (assume all their brands) moved all ships away from US to avoid reporting.

I wasn't aware of that. As much as I have loved cruising, my respect for the cruise lines slowly erodes just a little bit more when I hear about things like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Expanded openings with restaurants, gyms, schools, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well if it’s anything like the UK right now that has been at this phase for about 6 weeks now we have had local cities back to restrictions and now a national restriction back into place again restricting the amount of people mixing together, borders between certain counties shut as the Covid rate has gone seriously soaring up !!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites
Unfortunately as things start to open up, looks like the numbers start going back  up!  I don't think we'll be as excited about cruising now, as we did back in 2003!  It's just not the same feeling about cruising, [emoji19]

This has just started to happen in the UK !! Back to restrictions again


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have gone to Stage 3 in Maryland.   This was about two months after we went to Stage 2.     Movie theaters are now able to open at a low percent of capacity.   Churches can have inside services with 75% capacity.    Schools, due to teachers unions, are still not allowing in person learning.   This is strange as some counties are now allowing all school sports and extracurricular activities to resume.   Guess the “fluff” activities are more important than classroom education.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...