Remembering 9-11..19 yrs ago!

hcat

As I posted elsewhere:

(  with thanks to those who remembered)

Taking time out today to remember those lost 19 years ago..

9-11  Never Forget!

If you cruise out of Bayonne you can see the beautiful  Tear Drop Memorial ( 2nd photo)

image-4.jpg

878BDC23-0F80-4E0B-9ABE-C2512DB42F01.thumb.jpeg.00728ec10f3b3b1d4103de3c0ba28639.jpeg.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for starting this topic. Great pictures. I watched part of the ceromony at the Memorial via live stream- as I do every year. Lest we forget.

Those days like 9/11 stay in our memory forever- everyone knew exactly what one did at 9/11/2001.

I have such fond memories from both towers. Three or four visits in the South Tower Oberservation floor. One memorable lunch at Windows on the world in the North Tower  back in 1989 with my whole family. Or standing at the plaza between the towers, right before Koenigs " Sphere"!

The did a wonderful job with the Memorial, the Museum, the new World Trade One. My visist to the Museum was nothing short of breathtaking. Even though the new tower is stunning. Nothing compares to the lost two towers - maybe just because they were two identical towers - who became the very symbol of the skyline of New York.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Those days like 9/11 stay in our memory forever- everyone knew exactly what one did at 9/11/2001.

Except me, I was backpacking in the Sierra Nevada 2 days away from civilization with no radio or cell connection when it happened.

Evolution Basin.jpgEvolution Basin, Kings Canyon National Park

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

We were supposed to head out on Century the upcoming weekend ( I think Saturday the 15th). My wife was stuck on the other side of the country on a business trip.

Celebrity rebooked us to January, 2002.

Small problems compared to what many others endured over that week.

• Like 1

I was in 7th grade science class. It seems like a lifetime ago and shaped my life in a way I would never had imagined. A week or so after watching the news I started having panic attacks. I never had anxiety issues before but it definitely triggered something. I flew for the first time in my life on the one year anniversary and I was absolutely terrified. I have never known pre 911 travel. It’s all just travel to me. I took time today to think about all that were lost and how our lives have changed since. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Thank you for starting this topic. Great pictures. I watched part of the ceromony at the Memorial via live stream- as I do every year. Lest we forget.

You are correct, that is a day I will never forget...

Watching the morning news on NBC as Tom Brokaw was describing the scene after the first plane hit one of the towers, then watched in horror as the second plane hit the other tower. Then the panic I felt later after it was reported that a plane had hit the Pentagon. My Dh had an appointment there that morning. The sheer panic I felt when I couldn’t reach him on his cell phone for hours...

In 2012 we had business in New York and stayed at a hotel across the street from the 911 Memorial. It was a very moving experience to actually be there.

• Like 3

C- Dragons I suppose you stayed in the Millenium Hilton. I always book the Milli- Hilton in Church Street when visiting NYC- which do at least evey other year- mostly to catch the QM2 on my way back to Europe.

Always a very moving experience indeed.

I remember my time spent there- four nights during the festivities of the 4th of July, three years ago.

I remember I woke up early on this 4th of July and made my morning walk right across the Memorial, when I saw park workers putting littel US- flaggs and in some cases white roses to the names. I asked him why those white roses were put to some names- he told me it is always done to remember the victims birthday.

I was very touched by that gesture, he asked me if wanted to put a white rose to one of the victims whos birthday was the 4th of July. Of course I agreed. So I put my rose to the name of Christine Ann Olender - the worker pointed my way there. Coincidentley I remembered that name from a book i read about the attacks- she worked asshift  leader in Windows on the world.

Unforgetable experience.

• Thanks 1

I left my home in Central NJ about 8am that morning heading for upper Manhattan with plans to spend the day doing headshots for Columbia University's 700 student athletes. A little after 8:30am while listening to traffic reports I heard " we just got a report of a plane hitting the World Trade Center, we have the traffic copter headed that way...".  I never got to Columbia that day. I spent my morning getting up the NJ turnpike and stopping where I could to make some pictures.  AP picked up my images and kept me running for the rest of morning. Once I got home, moved the images to them I pretty much collapsed in my office for a few hours to let it all sink in.  

towers.jpg

• Like 5

I was working in Amtrak Operations on the West Coast. We had a continuous conference call going with our National Operations in Wilmington, Delaware. Needless to say, a chaotic day operating (or attempting to) America’s passenger rail network.

Fast forward to 9/11/2002, the one year anniversary, we were sailing aboard Millie in the Caribbean and attended a wonderful memorial service Celebrity hosted in the ship’s theater. Millie was supposed to be sailing Europe at that time, but in the Spring of 2002, Celebrity redeployed her to the Càribbean for summer due to the fallout of the travel industry following 9/11. 

• Like 1

I remember the first anniversary quite well. I was on Board RCI Brilliance of the Seas - usualy scheduled sailing from Harwich to New York. Redirected to Boston- because of the still ongoing closure of the New Harbour!

They too, held a wonderful memorial service in the theater- very moving and touching, we all made good use of our hanky´s!

Wonderful songs too- " Lady Liberty"- and " How great thoug art" have kept in my memory.

" Lady Liberty" i never heard again- but it was very nice song. I don´t remember who the interpreter was.

We had just left the Azores on Grandeur of the Seas , heading for Boston it was around 3.30 pm local time when the Captain made the announcement of what had just happened. Royal Caribbean looked after us in Boston until we got flights back to UK--put us in the Sheraton and we got breakfast and dinner vouchers. Unfortunately flying British Airways or Virgin Atlantic you had to keep going to the airport to see if you could get on a flight they would not let the Go Team book our flights. The Go Team were around 40 people who travelled by bus from Miami to Boston to look after us and the people supposedly getting on after us , if I remember correctly we didn't actually dock until around 3 pm as they had divers checking under the ship and Grandeur sailed that night around 10.30 with 600 passengers

Liz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I remember the first anniversary quite well. I was on Board RCI Brilliance of the Seas - usualy scheduled sailing from Harwich to New York. Redirected to Boston- because of the still ongoing closure of the New Harbour!

They too, held a wonderful memorial service in the theater- very moving and touching, we all made good use of our hanky´s!

Wonderful songs too- " Lady Liberty"- and " How great thoug art" have kept in my memory.

" Lady Liberty" i never heard again- but it was very nice song. I don´t remember who the interpreter was.

We were on a Royal ship a year or so after.

The Captain stopped all activities at the time the Towers fell and held a moving tribute.   Supported by all guests and passengers.  Very emotional. The world seemed more united back then... somehow the tragedy brought us together in peace. 

I watch every year to hear the names of people we knew who were lost. Too many!

• Like 1

We lived in NJ at the time, right outside the NY Harbor across the Raritan bay.   We lived on a flightpath into Newark Airport and it was weird not having planes coming in for a week or so.  The other thing weird was there were no birds in the sky for a few days.  Also, when George Bush went to New York and gave his talk on top of the pile with the Fireman, his helicopters went right over our house, four of them I believe coming from McGuire AFB.   Unfortuately we went to the beach at one point in the morning and saw the second tower fall.   

Our area lost a lot of people and there were constant funerals, town we lived in lost 6 people and the town next to us I believe 45.   Lots of commuters by passenger ferry  into the city.  Now our daughter takes one of those ferries into the city. The weird thing was the last funeral was only a few years ago.   

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

Similar memories..many funerals held with empty coffins.That leaves an impression for life! Now we  look to a brighter future for children and grandchildren

Local pre school did a  nice job marking the day for the little ones..Never Forget!

Cruising  has not only  been a great way to travel and vacation, but also to meet people from around the world....hopefully broadens thinking!

• Like 1

We visited NY in January 2001, and only managed to return more than 13 years later, September 2014.

One of the first visits was to the Memorial. A very moving and eye opening experience. The 2 pools with the water continuously falling -- like crying. Sorry for not exactly expressing what I feel, since English is not my mother tongue....

PHOTO_20140918_161252.jpg

PHOTO_20140918_161342.jpg

10 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

C- Dragons I suppose you stayed in the Millenium Hilton. I always book the Milli- Hilton in Church Street when visiting NYC- which do at least evey other year- mostly to catch the QM2 on my way back to Europe.

Always a very moving experience indeed.

Yes, you are correct, we did stay at the Millenium Hilton.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We visited NY in January 2001, and only managed to return more than 13 years later, September 2014.

One of the first visits was to the Memorial. A very moving and eye opening experience. The 2 pools with the water continuously falling -- like crying. Sorry for not exactly expressing what I feel, since English is not my mother tongue....

PHOTO_20140918_161252.jpg

No need to apologize. Your words describe the experience perfectly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were in Brugge on that fateful day.  On our way back to the ship (HAL's Noordam), someone asked us if we had heard about the plane hitting the WTC.  We had assumed that it was probably some small plane in a horrible "accident".  Once back on board, we learned what really happened.

We were half way through the first half on a B-2-B cruise, and we were quite impressed/surprised at the genuine compassion that the European natives shared with us at every port.  I guess we Americans are easily detected.

Two of our travel companions were from NYC and were, of course, concerned about friends and family that were at home, and lived/worked in that area of the city.

It is one of our strongest "Cruise Memories" and one we hope never have to endure, or re-live, ever again.

NRayH

• Like 2