Remembering 9-11..19 yrs ago!

hcat

I am so glad Jacquie and I got to see the two towers quite a few years ago. We sailed out of New York on Horizon to Bermuda.  So, we got to see the Statue of Liberty also.

We also, after paying $35.00 each became a  Captain's Club member.  When we got to the pier, it was lined up down the block.  We asked if Captain's Club had a special line.  They took us to the front.  Best $70.00 I ever spent. 

A whole bunch of folks from New York and New Jersey definitely gave us the "eye".  I think we were the only two on the ship that didn't have an accent.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Texed said:

A whole bunch of folks from New York and New Jersey definitely gave us the "eye".  I think we were the only two on the ship that didn't have an accent.  🤣

I’ll bet you a bottle of hand sanitizer they were giving you the “eye” because of your Texas drawl, not because you *didn’t* have an accent! 🤣

We were finishing a cruise to Bermuda on the Horizon and docked at the pier on the west side of Manhattan the Saturday before the attack.

Took some great photos of the towers as we sailed down the Hudson and out into NY Bay, hard to believe that 3 days later they were rubble. Some events you just don't forget and where you were at the time of the event, for me it was the assassination of JFK on 11.22.63 and the cowardly terrorist attack on  9.11.01. Somehow this year is in the mix of bad things but no exact date, just one crappy year.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BEAV said:

I’ll bet you a bottle of hand sanitizer they were giving you the “eye” because of your Texas drawl, not because you *didn’t* have an accent! 🤣

Guilty, as charged.  🤠

10 hours ago, Texed said:

I am so glad Jacquie and I got to see the two towers quite a few years ago. We sailed out of New York on Horizon to Bermuda.  So, we got to see the Statue of Liberty also.

We also, after paying $35.00 each became a  Captain's Club member.  When we got to the pier, it was lined up down the block.  We asked if Captain's Club had a special line.  They took us to the front.  Best $70.00 I ever spent. 

Funny I have lived in Texas for most of my life, but still talk like I did while growing up in Brooklyn, as for priority stuff we been booking suites for about last ten years and it took a while for me to get used to bypassing lines because to suite perks. 

Was working in New York Harbor that day as captain of a hydrographic survey boat, Potomac River. We answered the Coast Guard call for All Boats to respond to Manhattan. We assisted with the evacuation of lower Manhattan that morning, carrying boat loads of people from lower Manhattan across the Hudson River to Jersey City docks. Later that day and for the next two days we transported first responder's and supplies into the North Cove Marina next to the fallen towers.

Potomac River Survey Boat 911.jpg

Edited by Bill Miller
change picture file type from pdf to jpg
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Was working in New York Harbor that day as captain of a hydrographic survey boat, Potomac River. We answered the Coast Guard call for All Boats to respond to Manhattan. We assisted with the evacuation of lower Manhattan that morning, carrying boat loads of people from lower Manhattan across the Hudson River to Jersey City docks. Later that day and for the next two days we transported first responder's and supplies into the North Cove Marina next to the fallen towers.

Potomac River Survey Boat 911.jpg

Great photo and thank you for your rescue efforts. You are a hero!

My DH is retired FDNY.  We were watching the morning news when we saw the first tower get hit, then the second.  We lived in Staten Island then, and were close to Manhattan.  Bedlam took over....my girlfriend asked my daughter and I to go to the two schools to pick her daughters up.  The scene in the schools was sheer panic.  No one knew what was happening.  On September 12th, my DH and his retired FDNY friends traveled to Manhattan during the search and rescue daily, for over a week or so.  Sadly, we had many funerals to go to.  We will Never Forget.  Never.🇺🇸🇺🇸

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the first anniversary of 9/11 I was in Asheville NC, I had a community radio station called WNCW playing in my car.

At the exact time of the plane hitting the first tower they played Ring Them Bells by Bob Dylan.

It poignant, symbolic, beautifully chosen and brought me out in goose bumps.

• Like 1