Jump to content

Enforcement of the new guest vacation policy


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

 

So we should not be allowed to go to a supermarket or Lowes. since they can't prove to everybody that they are safe...

 

Following the CDC rules on masks, distancing and general hygiene are fine with me and I have been out and about since April 2nd and my wife wears a mask for 40+ hours a week, gives injections and deals with dozens of patients each day.

 

I tend to agree w/ you. We shouldn't IF IT'S AS BAD AS THEY SAY. But.... they allow for it, They call it a necessity.  We can't go to bars on land. Not a necessity. Many places do not allow for indoor dining. Not a necessity. Many places do not allow one to even 'do' their hair unless. Not a necessity (some could argue this 😋) My point is, why do some of you think we should be allowed to do this on a cruise ship? Cruising is NOT a necessity. If it's sails then it should be safe. If it's safe, then no masks are needed. If it isn't safe, then the ship should not sail.  Some want me & others to believe that it is a necessity to sail, that it's safe only if we social distance and wear masks. Pfft. 

 

But oK, I'll play along. Let's say we're all on a roll csll for a cruise to the British Isles and the ship is currently booked at more than 90% at full capacity. Who on the ship should RCL cancel because of the requirement to social distance. Surely not me. Definitely not you.  Because we both agree to the whatever the rules set forth by RCL. Should RCI flip a coin? Should they cancel the last 20-25% of the reservations made? Perhaps cancel all inide cabins even those that were the first to book? It isn't easy is it?

 

Look I'm playing devil's advocate with some of you about the mask situation because some are being selfish about the cruising in of itself, not a mask. The mask is only a tool to basically say, "I want to cruise and I know the ship may not be safe from Covid, so just  force everyone to social distance & wear a mask. It may help and I want to go cruising. And I feel bad about those that got canceled so social distaincing could be in play. That's just the new normal. Thank God it wasn't me and my family because we deserve a break." 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Of course they can force you to. But think about this for a moment. If each time you walk outside your cabin you have to put on a mask. Sitting by the pool...mask on. Sitting in the Schooner bar, mask on. Sitting in the Promenade, mask on. Sitting in the casino, mask on.  Sitting in the Windjammer, mask on.  Sitting in the Diamond Lounge, mask on.  Sitting in the Concierge Lounge, mask on. Bingo, mask on. Why? Why would anyone wish to subject themselves to this type of vacation? It doesn't make much sense to me. In a 24 hr day, I probably spend at least 12-14 hours on the average outside of my cabin. I recognize that the cruiselines have the disgression to enforce the wearing of masks, but for me personally, I just can't fathom wearing a mask that many hours a day while chilling, eating, & drinking. Because whether we wish to acknowlege it, that's what we do. We chill. We eat. We drink. In between these things, we get off the ship and explore which will require more masking up. So while yes, RCL has a right to do so... 

I can't fathom cruising with a mask either. That is why we will cancel our August cruise if masks are still required to any extent. While I am looking so forward to this cruise, I would never decide to take the cruise while also planning on breaking the rules.  If I don't plan on wearing a mask, I will stay on land.

 

The "I paid for this cruise" or "the make me" attitude is only for the "me, me, only me" crowd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Of course they can force you to. But think about this for a moment. If each time you walk outside your cabin you have to put on a mask. Sitting by the pool...mask on. Sitting in the Schooner bar, mask on. Sitting in the Promenade, mask on. Sitting in the casino, mask on.  Sitting in the Windjammer, mask on.  Sitting in the Diamond Lounge, mask on.  Sitting in the Concierge Lounge, mask on. Bingo, mask on. Why? Why would anyone wish to subject themselves to this type of vacation? It doesn't make much sense to me. In a 24 hr day, I probably spend at least 12-14 hours on the average outside of my cabin. I recognize that the cruiselines have the disgression to enforce the wearing of masks, but for me personally, I just can't fathom wearing a mask that many hours a day while chilling, eating, & drinking. Because whether we wish to acknowlege it, that's what we do. We chill. We eat. We drink. In between these things, we get off the ship and explore which will require more masking up. So while yes, RCL has a right to do so... 

If rcl follows the protocols msc and other European cruiselines are doing you do Not need to wear your mask at pool deck.  You wear a mask when social distancing is not possible.  

There are numerous videos from current cruise passengers.  Check some out.  With reduced capacity some areas look empty compared to what we are used to seeing.  Theaters are not packed nor are the casinos.   Buffet service looks great and people are giving everyone lots of space.   Plenty of space in dining room.  Some wore masks while waiting for food some didnt as there is plenty of space between tables.   I go to work 5 or 6 days a week since March and have no problem wearing a mask when I have to.    I'm so used to wearing them I sometimes get in my car and forget I have it on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

I tend to agree w/ you. We shouldn't IF IT'S AS BAD AS THEY SAY. But.... they allow for it, They call it a necessity.  We can't go to bars on land. Not a necessity. Many places do not allow for indoor dining. Not a necessity. Many places do not allow one to even 'do' their hair unless. Not a necessity (some could argue this 😋) My point is, why do some of you think we should be allowed to do this on a cruise ship? Cruising is NOT a necessity. If it's sails then it should be safe. If it's safe, then no masks are needed. If it isn't safe, then the ship should not sail.  Some want me & others to believe that it is a necessity to sail, that it's safe only if we social distance and wear masks. Pfft. 

I'm sorry if you live in area that still has most things shutdown.  I live in Pa and have been back and forth to our shorehouse in LBI NJ since first week of July.  I'm happy to say we entered phase 3 in june with everything open some bars restaurants and gyms with 25 to 50% capacity and our numbers have remained low all summer.  Our beaches were very crowded as a lot of people renting shore homes more then ever but we all managed to social distance and make it work.  At least for all the towns I live and have visited.  

Just like what's happening with msc tui and costa cruises there is a safe way to cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

 

Perhaps they can use the same approach with emotional support animals.

Emotional support animals are no longer allowed onboard RCL ships.

Here's the reference:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-emotional-support-animals-allowed-on-a-royal-caribbean-cruise

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 10:37 AM, time4u2go said:

For those suggesting that violators should be booted off at the next port (which I think is the right thing to do), what do they do about people that violate the rule after the last port of call?  I suppose they could confine them to their cabin.

The cruise industry would probably do like the airlines - ban those passengers until the need to wear masks is no longer required.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TiiiSailor said:

Emotional support animals are no longer allowed onboard RCL ships.

Here's the reference:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-emotional-support-animals-allowed-on-a-royal-caribbean-cruise

Great news. I have no problem with service dogs being on ship but glad emotional support dogs no longer allowed. That’s does away with dogs in wagons, dressed up & some sitting on laps in WJ. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yet we saw several on Oasis in February 

If I recall, there was a grace period for those who had booked their cruise prior to the new policy, but new bookings would be required to follow the new policy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet, a cruise ship is not conducive to wearing a mask.  You cannot walk around with a drink in your hand and wear a mask.  Like wise you cannot walk around with food and wear a mask to eat it.  As someone mentioned, how do they decide which cabins to cancel and which ones are good.  If someone is afraid that people will not wear a mask then stay home and maybe be safe.  Even when required I would guess that about 80% of the people wearing a mask in a building take it off as soon as they step outside (no I do not have any documentation, just my observations) so if you are a mask person you still could become infected just going to the store.  So I am willing to cruise maskless and take my chances.  Just my humble opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand the requirements, mask on unless you are sitting down and drinking/eating.

Walking around drinking without mask not allowed.

Walking around eating without mask not allowed.

The cruise lines have to get this right if they are going to survive.

They have no choice.  If they screw this up and get shut down again after being allowed to restart, they are out of business.

Edited by Ravbo
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

 

Perhaps they can use the same approach with emotional support animals.

Ha, how I have been missing a good ESA/SA thread during all this.  Maybe someone can claim that Fluffy is their "specially trained" COVID detection animal and therefore they don't need to wear no stinkin mask.  And if you ask any further questions about it I'm suing under ADA!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Add me to the group that the mask is not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.  I'm at disney several times a week wearing a mask in 90+ degree weather.  Wearing it on a ship will be much easier!  And they play announcements at Disney telling you to keep it on unless you are eating or drinking WHILE stationary.  It can work if people just follow simple rules.  I would LOVE to get on a cruise again and will jump through whatever hoops they want to make it happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...