Cruise Critic Community
whoshwhosh

Seat Selection Flights by Celebrity

I am being optimistic and booked a June 30 cruise to Italy, Croatia and Malta. This is the first time I am booking flights through Celebrity. When can I do seat selection? I have opted to "pay later" for the flight at final payment in case the cruise is cancelled I won't have a lot of money out at this time. The departure flight is American Airlines and the return is British Air. Business Class seats on all flights.

Thanks for your response

Others may have a different experience than what I am going to mention here but what we have found is that it seems to depends on the airline and sometimes where you are flying thru.  We almost always book our flights using ChoiceAir using the pay later option and business class.  You have probably received your Flights By Celebrity confirmation email.  That should have your Record Locator code on it (usually a 6 character code marked carrier).  Frequently, our bookings with United Airlines and American Airlines have our seats for business class already assigned within 24 to 48 hours of booking the flights thru Celebrity.  Rarely are our seats shown on the Flights by Celebrity / ChoiceAir confirmation.  Generally, we will just log on to the airline website using the record locator and select, verify or modify our seat assignments.  If we can't select our seats, we just check back.  British Air USUALLY seems to work the same was as American Air since they code share.  In February 2020, we flew to Argentina using AEROLINEAS ARGENTINAS.  On our direct flight out MIA to EZE it took a couple months before we were assigned seats.  However our flight from EZE to MIA was assigned right away.  We have flown from MIA to MAD to BCN.  (Miami, Madrid, Barcelona).  We could not get seat assignments MAD to BCN until we checked in at MIA.  On one airline, we upgraded to business after booking and we were not allowed to pick a business class seat until we were "ticketed".  We had a ticket number but according to the airline, we were not really "ticketed" until we paid.  It was close to final payment so we paid, got ticketed and picked our seats.  With the pandemic, who know what the rules are.  

Having said all this, my recommendation is to use your record locator code, log onto the AA & BA websites and try to select your seat(s) ASAP.  If you can't pick or modify, wait a couple of days and try again.  ALSO - extremely important, check back every couple of weeks and make sure you still have your seats.  We have had situations where we were not notified by either the airline or Flights by Celebrity that the plane type changed and that our seats were modified.  Also, without notification, we have had our flight number changed and even the layover city changed.  Good luck on your cruise and your flight.

The last time we flew BA which was LHR to LAX we had to pay for Business seat selection and that was through Celebrity UK 2 years ago

Liz

Edited by emmas gran
Spelling

We have been lucky I suppose.  emmas gran brought up a good point about fees.  We have been using ChoiceAir / Flights by Celebrity for years and have never paid to pick our seats on any airline for business class.  Other classes - yes but never business class.  The difference could be booking from Celebrity US website vs UK or the size of the business class cabin/number of available seats.  Who knows what crazy rules are out there.  However, prior to picking any seat, you are informed if there will be a charge for seat selection and how much the charge is.  

We book BA business and 1st class. I think BA will assign seating when you check in. I pay the money for choosing our seats when we buy our tickets, about $100 per seat. I know I paid to select our seats in business and club world. I dont remember having to pay a fee to pick our 1st class seats. 

We fly to London from Seattle. I like business class for our flight to London, 747 upper deck. Very quite. Flying home I like flying 1st class because of the 1st class lounge at LHR. We were to be in London last May. I paid the fee for our upper deck seats and then BA changed the plane to a 777. Pissed my off, I got crap seats. In the end we now have a certificate for about $6000 from BA.

https://travelingformiles.com/british-airways-quietly-changes-how-it-charges-for-business-class-seat-selection/

Thanks to all of you that have replied and hope it is the same for me.

I haven't booked air yet with Celebrity as my return date isn't open yet.

I'm considering using DL (KLM) business class for my LAX-AMS the end of July 2021.

I've been watching the DL website and know exactly which flights/seats I want.

This will be the first time I will be using cruise booked air and hoping the pricing

is better than booking direct and it works out for us.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks to all of you that have replied and hope it is the same for me.

I haven't booked air yet with Celebrity as my return date isn't open yet.

I'm considering using DL (KLM) business class for my LAX-AMS the end of July 2021.

I've been watching the DL website and know exactly which flights/seats I want.

This will be the first time I will be using cruise booked air and hoping the pricing

is better than booking direct and it works out for us.

Cruise Air is sometimes cheaper.  Sometimes not.  To make they reply simpler you book your seats with the airline.  I have never been able to select my seat until I made final payment.

You need to get the airline reference number. Of 6 numbers and/letters. You should be able to log on to manage your booking to the airline and select seats. BA unless high status frequent flyer will charge you for any business class seat allocation or you will get what is left at online check in opens. The agent at celebrity air should be able to allocate these also before tickets are issued. 

7 hours ago, emmas gran said:

The last time we flew BA which was LHR to LAX we had to pay for Business seat selection and that was through Celebrity UK 2 years ago

Liz

You got that right Liz. We fly BA whenever we go to Europe and we always end up paying for our seats in Business or First. It's crazy considering how much more you pay for them. Last year we paid $775 for our seats on two flights. If you don't pay upfront to choose them then they assign you to seats with no expectation that you would be sitting together. You could take your chances on either of you having a nice person sitting in the seat next to yours willing to switch but my bride does not want me to take that chance. Best of luck.

Jim

I have pay-later business flights booked through Choiceair on American next year.  Couldn't select my seats on AA either online or phone with record locator so called Choiceair back and the rep booked the seats I wanted.  They now show on my AA reservation but I can't move them.  I'd have to call Choiceair again to do that.

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I have pay-later business flights booked through Choiceair on American next year.  Couldn't select my seats on AA either online or phone with record locator so called Choiceair back and the rep booked the seats I wanted.  They now show on my AA reservation but I can't move them.  I'd have to call Choiceair again to do that.

Well this is a PIA !!

The whole point is for you to be able to be quickly responsive to any changes you want with seating.

Another point is they will allocate the flight you do not choose  --it may not be the one you want. We have flown to Miami and they took us via NY as its cheaper  with American rather than direct with Virgin or BA

8 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I agree with this poster. After I book my flights through Choice Air online, I call them and get seats assigned. This has worked for me with Premium Economy on American and Business Class on Delta. However when my AA flights were changed to Cathay Air by AA, I was told I couldn't pick seats. After they are paid for I will try again. I was supposed to be leaving today on a Viking Ocean cruise and the flight to Bergen included flights on SAS. After they were ticketed, I paid a total of $52 to buy seats. That is the only cost not refunded since Viking cancelled the cruise.

I had similar experience with booking United and American Premium Economy to Heathrow for next June.  The domestic segment was Economy and they could assign seats but said they couldn't for the PE overseas segment.  The next day we called to book our traveling companions flights and they were able to assign seats for all segments so I asked the agent to assign my seats as well.  They now show on the Airline sites but I can't change them.  I'm told that once the tickets are actually paid you will be able to change with the airline.  Yes a bit of a PIA but I'm flying PE for less than I can get basic economy direct with the airlines.

We just booked our flights with celebrity for the first time (Apex Spring Transatlantic) ever. It was cheaper and we get the confidence with the cruise line which is nice for a TA. Our travel agent made all of the arrangements and we were assigned seats... all economy. Maybe because of our travel agent.

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

Well this is a PIA !!

The whole point is for you to be able to be quickly responsive to any changes you want with seating.

Once the seats are paid for, you have control of them.  I'm willing to do it this way to avoid tying up my funds on trips that still may not happen. 

I booked flights through Celebrity a few weeks ago and was told that you can’t book seats unless you pay for the ticket. You can still cancel the flight and get a full refund as long as you cancel by final payment date. If you choose pay later then you can’t select seats. Whether there is an additional charge for booking seats in advance is another story. I have Lufthansa selected and noticed that if I want to pre-book seats it’s around $140 extra pp for all the legs combined.

13 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I booked flights through Celebrity a few weeks ago and was told that you can’t book seats unless you pay for the ticket. You can still cancel the flight and get a full refund as long as you cancel by final payment date. If you choose pay later then you can’t select seats. Whether there is an additional charge for booking seats in advance is another story. I have Lufthansa selected and noticed that if I want to pre-book seats it’s around $140 extra pp for all the legs combined.

Thanks ... so let me understand this ?...You can select seats (business class) if you pay at time of booking (flights) and you can cancel for a complete refund when final payment is due if you decide for any reason you won't be going.

So opting to pay at final is when you would get to pick your seats at that time if you choose the pay later option ? 

Is this true with all carriers booked with Celebrity and their policy or does this vary by carrier used. I'm going to use DL (KLM).

I think I'm going to be a bit surprised if I have to pay for seats if I opt to pre-pay the flights.

Edited by Ashland

24 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Just a bit of a situation I happen to have right now with Lufthansa. I had a Xmas Market tour booked (private company) that was to leave late Nov 30, 2020. The company cancelled due to the virus. I purchased my business class through them as part of the pkg. LAX-MUN. The company can only request a refund 3 days prior to departure. Hopefully I'll get the refund but if only a credit I can use that for the rescheduled Nov 2021 with them. 

All other carriers I used during this cancellation of trips have easily given me refunds....I'm hoping but have read Lufthansa isn't easy to work with.....Fingers crossed ... I hate for them to keep my $$ for such a long time....as I booked this in Oct 2019 and had to pre-pay my flights.

Edited by Ashland

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Thanks ... so let me understand this ?...You can select seats (business class) if you pay at time of booking (flights) and you can cancel for a complete refund when final payment is due if you decide for any reason you won't be going.

So opting to pay at final is when you would get to pick your seats at that time if you choose the pay later option ? 

Is this true with all carriers booked with Celebrity and their policy or does this vary by carrier used. I'm going to use DL (KLM).

I think I'm going to be a bit surprised if I have to pay for seats if I opt to pre-pay the flights.

I booked premium economy seats but the policy was presented to me by the agent generically so I have to assume it applies to all classes of service. The only thing that varies here is if the airline charges you extra for selecting a seat in advance. You can find that out by going to the airline’s website and looking at their seat policy. If I pre-pay then I still will have to pay for seats in advance in Premium Economy with Lufthansa. It would be the same if I booked the ticket with the airline directly; it would be extra if I wanted to select seats in advance. But again, that seat fee will vary by airline and class of service.

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Just a bit of a situation I happen to have right now with Lufthansa. I had a Xmas Market tour booked (private company) that was to leave late Nov 30, 2020. The company cancelled due to the virus. I purchased my business class through them as part of the pkg. LAX-MUN. The company can only request a refund 3 days prior to departure. Hopefully I'll get the refund but if only a credit I can use that for the rescheduled Nov 2021 with them. 

All other carriers I used during this cancellation of trips have easily given me refunds....I'm hoping but have read Lufthansa isn't easy to work with.....Fingers crossed ... I hate for them to keep my $$ for such a long time.

Interesting. The Celebrity agent I spoke to told me they have a good relationship with LH and if the cruise is cancelled you will get your refund back from the airline too if you book air through Celebrity. He warned me away from using TAP (Air Portugal) through Celebrity even though their fare was a bit lower because they had been having difficulty getting refunds for passengers after cruise cancellations.

2 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I booked premium economy seats but the policy was presented to me by the agent generically so I have to assume it applies to all classes of service. The only thing that varies here is if the airline charges you extra for selecting a seat in advance. You can find that out by going to the airline’s website and looking at their seat policy. If I pre-pay then I still will have to pay for seats in advance in Premium Economy with Lufthansa. It would be the same if I booked the ticket with the airline directly; it would be extra if I wanted to select seats in advance. But again, that seat fee will vary by airline and class of service.

I didn't have to pay for my seat selection on my Lufthansa flight (above). And shouldn't have to pay for my DL (KLM) seat.

We'll see...but your post is very interesting...thanks so much.

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

Interesting. The Celebrity agent I spoke to told me they have a good relationship with LH and if the cruise is cancelled you will get your refund back from the airline too if you book air through Celebrity. He warned me away from using TAP (Air Portugal) through Celebrity even though their fare was a bit lower because they had been having difficulty getting refunds for passengers after cruise cancellations.

Perhaps LH works better with the cruiselines...hoping they will with the large well known tour company I'm using.

34 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

TAP has a history of being very "difficult" for anything other than a standard coach seat.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I didn't have to pay for my seat selection on my Lufthansa flight (above). And shouldn't have to pay for my DL (KLM) seat.

We'll see...but your post is very interesting...thanks so much.

We also have booked through Flights by Celebrity (with payment due at final cruise payment) and have been able to select seats on Lufthansa in business class.  We have also been able to select business class seats on United prior to final payment.