Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

10 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

Kia ora, great to hear from you!  We are fine, but miss cruising, and would like to do again the around-Australia cruise we shared with you and your DH, or even perhaps once again visit Aotearoa, the Land of the Long White Cloud -- New Zealand.

I figured that if you were monitoring this thread, you would certainly recognize the port.  Yes, it is indeed Picton.  For those who have not visited, the Picton area in New Zealand's South Island has a thriving renewable lumber industry -- we could smell the logs even before we entered the port area.  Picton is also near a lush fertile area of green valleys and rolling hills that contain a great many vineyards that produce excellent wines, including the superlative sauvignon blancs of Marlborough.

Dave

Yesterday was the  second time to look at this thread,

Another Australian circumnavigation would be great..

We sailed on Maasdam Jan/Feb for  2 weeks Auckland to Auckland , little did we know that would be our last cruise on that lovely ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Look a like you need a hint,   One of our favourite ports,   This time we visited this lovely spot.  Bonus if you know where we visited! 

image.thumb.jpeg.84f55322387f0e55f213e3b858880cbd.jpeg

Wow, tough one.  The problem with having visited so many places (over so many years), is that a lot of things seem a little familiar even if you can't place them.  I think I should recognize that spire in the port, but it is not coming to me.  The small town looks a little like the Ligurian coast in northwest Italy, but again I can't place it.  

Dave

• Like 1

While we try to figure out the tough ones posed by bennybear, as well as ski ww and Copper 10-8 (both of their latest also seem familiar -- I knew I had never been to what turned out to be Oslo, but I think I've seen that waterfront, and that bridge ... somewhere), here is a downright easy one.  Which harbor is this?

32265217_aneasyone.jpg.b00030110914b6ba04948d6693f2aa74.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Wow, tough one.  The problem with having visited so many places (over so many years), is that a lot of things seem a little familiar even if you can't place them.  I think I should recognize that spire in the port, but it is not coming to me.  The small town looks a little like the Ligurian coast in northwest Italy, but again I can't place it.  

Dave

Country is correct! 

32 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

While we try to figure out the tough ones posed by bennybear, as well as ski ww and Copper 10-8 (both of their latest also seem familiar -- I knew I had never been to what turned out to be Oslo, but I think I've seen that waterfront, and that bridge ... somewhere), here is a downright easy one.  Which harbor is this?

32265217_aneasyone.jpg.b00030110914b6ba04948d6693f2aa74.jpg

Dave

Looks like Honolulu Harbor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Winner on Naples, but a different island than Capri😎

Boy do I feel unsmart -- I lived in Naples for six years, but the view is towards the industrial area of Portici, not the expected one toward the center of the city.  I still don't know the little town, but it could be on Ischia or Procida?

Dave

21 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Anchorage, AK and the adventure of the tidal changes 😉 

Correct!  The time we were there, we had to wait until a cargo vessel left, and then swing about to come alongside starboard side to, so that we could get a gangway connected.  A lot of morning departure long shore excursions got cancelled.

Dave

6 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Correct!  The time we were there, we had to wait until a cargo vessel left, and then swing about to come alongside starboard side to, so that we could get a gangway connected.  A lot of morning departure long shore excursions got cancelled.

Dave

The tides up there are always an adventure! There was actually a "Plan X" once to connect the gangway to Amsterdam's bow because no other deck would work but, luckily, that never materialized. Anchorage is also float plane heaven at Lake Hood, world's busiest seaplane base 

Lake_Hood_Seaplane_Base_and_Gravel_Strip.jpg