Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
markeb

α7C Compact full-frame camera

Still digesting this release. Didn't get an email from Sony, but got one from B&H tonight. Apparently roughly the size of the APS-C α cameras, but full frame. And a purpose built normal zoom for a theoretically pocketable camera...

FE mount, from a quick read a host of great features, and specifically designed for portability? But compatible with all the great FE G lenses out there!

@pierces Thoughts?  Not hunting right now, but this is pretty crazy in a lot of ways!

13 hours ago, markeb said:

@pierces Thoughts?  Not hunting right now, but this is pretty crazy in a lot of ways!

An innovative design with an interesting mix of features. Definitely not a contender for a pro rig replacement but not really entry-level either. Excellent, but not superlative video. 24MP back illuminated sensor, probably the same as the A7III (which is not in any way a negative). It has Sony's latest real-time tracking autofocus but retains the A7III's Bionz-X processor. It has the new (highly desired by yours truly) articulated LCD, but inexplicably retains the old menu system. Good viewfinder. 10fps burst shooting doesn't set any records, but is respectable and is more than enough for most applications. 

Really small for a full-frame (keep in mind that the A7III is itself very compact):

image.thumb.png.6b8e53e9cecaaa0f4f58d2d2250b549a.png

It is actually only fractionally larger than the A6600 with a similar grip housing the larger FZ100 battery. The initial reviews are calling it an all-weekend battery in this camera, so that's good.  Mostly a6x00 control layout without the front dial. No front dial is one of those things that is a giant deal-breaker for a lot of reviewers but in practical use, I never missed it on my A6000 or A6300 and seldom use it on the A7III. I guess it is what you're used to or maybe it's a box that needs to be checked in a review. Sorry...editorializing again. 

Bottom line from my point of view, if this was on the menu when I was jumping to full-frame from the A6300, I would have chosen it over the A7III. With the new 28-60mm zoom, it is a near-perfect walkabout camera and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a travel camera or daily driver.

But...

Having the A7III already, I can't personally justify picking one up. Yet. If I were to break down and go for the massive MP of next year's A7rV with usable APS-C in-camera or post-processing crop for telephoto enhancement, I would be probably bail on APS-C and replace my A7III with the A7c as the second body.

Just my opinion. Happy shooting!

Dave

That's kind of where I'd be as well. It would be a nice theoretical jump from my A6500, but having the A6500...

It's something to keep an eye on, though. I'll be curious to hear people's actual low light performance, for instance. The small form factor will probably make it a little awkward for a full size G lens, which I've found with my 90mm macro lens on the A6500 body, but with that purpose built lens, if the IQ is up there, it could be a great camera option.