Keeping our morale up during the pandemic.

OzKiwiJJ

28 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Im over 4W drive excitement now so just went for the front wheel drive 2 litre GXL .petrol model . My mileage is very low these days so that was all I need . I went for comfort and reliability . It’s got all the bells and whistles I will ever need  , some of which I don’t use , but also very impressed with all the safety features. 

We are going for the FWD too, but looking at the Cruiser (mainly for the electric seat memory we change it so often) and the hybrid, Mrs Gut still does a lot of kms.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We are going for the FWD too, but looking at the Cruiser (mainly for the electric seat memory we change it so often) and the hybrid, Mrs Gut still does a lot of kms.

Sensible move . Does it have the auto rear door . That’s the only extra I wish I had got .Door a bit heavy to close sometimes 

I have a 2 litre turbo diesel Forester which I'm very happy with except for the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). As an AWD it has great handling in all conditions, especially in the wet . As a "soft" off roader it suits me when geocaching and the torque from the diesel donk is excellent for towing my 16' Viscount pop top. It has excellent economy even when towing the van. A few times I have driven a Mitsubishi ASX SUV rental and didn't particularly like it as it was only 2wd and the CCT auto was also not to my liking. I don't think Subaru make  diesels anymore.

Edited by lyndarra

I have front and rear parking sensors, radar for emergency braking to avoid hitting other vehs, objects etc, beep beep if you cross a lane line or turn without signalling, etc, etc, all too much, CVT transmission is so quiet. No key, push button start and so it goes on.

Innovation, go Nissan779408825_th(2).jpg.dc0a385c7b53cc6d98046d1218bee286.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Sensible move . Does it have the auto rear door . That’s the only extra I wish I had got .Door a bit heavy to close sometimes 

Yep some cars with out the auto rear door, Mrs Gut almost does chin ups on.

Prefer side opening rear door,..... Safer  had to put new gas struts on mum's rear hatch...  as it almost got me i slight breeze blew it closed from fully up.... scared the willies out of me....  Also not a fan of CVT... but that is me.....

Sometime i just like the simple cars.... you could fix with a piece of wire.....

Remember my first car an old hillman... went into the garage to fill up... remember when you got served....   any way asked for a quart of oil in the engine and to fill my half gallon can... he just looked at me and asked does it use a bit of oil   ( it was about a pint every 100 miles )

Cheers Don

20 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Prefer side opening rear door,..... Safer  had to put new gas struts on mum's rear hatch...  as it almost got me i slight breeze blew it closed from fully up.... scared the willies out of me....  Also not a fan of CVT... but that is me.....

Sometime i just like the simple cars.... you could fix with a piece of wire.....

Remember my first car an old hillman... went into the garage to fill up... remember when you got served....   any way asked for a quart of oil in the engine and to fill my half gallon can... he just looked at me and asked does it use a bit of oil   ( it was about a pint every 100 miles )

Cheers Don

Talking about old Hillmans, my first car in 66, a 65 Hillman Imp, Green. Engine in the back like a VW.  Made by Rootes Group.

th.jpg.ad1d675bef1aef4d7d5f0c7f481eb325.jpg

My late father used to always tell a story about the time I "fixed" our Rover 75 when it broke down one day. I was about 6 years old and for some unknown reason I insisted on poking some part of the engine with a hairclip. Much to everyone's astonishment the car started again and ran quite happily until we got back home and Dad was able to take it in to the garage.

16 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

A friend of mine had an old Ford Prefect. He said he would pull into the garage and ask them to: "fill the oil and check the petrol". Way back before the eco-friendly days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nnps said:

A friend of mine had an old Ford Prefect. He said he would pull into the garage and ask them to: "fill the oil and check the petrol". Way back before the eco-friendly days.

You never see a drip tray these days .

The young ones have probably never seen one ...🚘🤪🚘

Yes loss of oil in cars was usually because it was burning oil, on motorcycles it was usually leaking. The old biker saying "if there is no oil under it, there is no oil in it" was well earned. I think you will find it still holds true with some vintage bikes (especially Triumphs).

I just realized that the all wheel drive that for me is pretty important really is not that important for you in Oz.

All wheel drive for days like this

20170206_174316.thumb.jpg.5db1fb0521669166778a3d9fb969ad10.jpg

I took that from my deck a couple years ago, our driveway is a 14% grade and about 60 meters long. We don't enjoy that walk if the vehicle can't make it up on the few days like in the picture.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:56 AM, getting older slowly said:

Every car i have had... except the current 2   have all had an oil leak somewhere....

Maybe they put barsleak in the oil now a days..... 

Egg white and pepper, and leave the radiator cap loose   was a temp fix for leaking water

Don

I've never had a car that leaked oil, not even my 1961 Mini 850 in 1968.

Next car was a 1970 Corolla 1200 then

1974 Subaru 2wd wagon

1980 Datsun Bluebird - it burned oil from new.

1984 Subaru 4wd Auto Touring Wagon

1995 Daewoo Espero

2006 Kia Cerato

3 Mitsubishi Vans -  when I had a spit roast catering business

A couple of recreational Subaru 4wds

And at present a Subaru Forester and a Mitsubishi LWB van.

Never had a Ford or Holden - maybe that's why  no oil leaks.

Dad was a Holden man until he bought a Citroen D19.

The Subaru Touring Wagon really shone when we used to go skiing. Never needed chains (although we carried them) when driving in snow.

• Like 1

We're heading off today on our first trip since the pandemic started. We're going to Tea Gardens, about 2.5 hours north of Sydney, for a week. That is if we can get there. The Pacific Highway was flooded right at the turn-off yesterday. Hopefully that has subsided by now. 

It will be nice to have a change of scene and to get a bit of fresh sea air. We chose Tea Gardens as it's a bit quieter than Nelson Bay but might take the ferry over there one day - a one hour cruise!

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're heading off today on our first trip since the pandemic started. We're going to Tea Gardens, about 2.5 hours north of Sydney, for a week. That is if we can get there. The Pacific Highway was flooded right at the turn-off yesterday. Hopefully that has subsided by now. 

It will be nice to have a change of scene and to get a bit of fresh sea air. We chose Tea Gardens as it's a bit quieter than Nelson Bay but might take the ferry over there one day - a one hour cruise!

Enjoy the ride, good to have a change of scenery. Don't forget the wine and cheese for happy hour, although plenty of shops up there. The cruise is good and no tipping !!

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Enjoy the ride, good to have a change of scenery. Don't forget the wine and cheese for happy hour, although plenty of shops up there. The cruise is good and no tipping !!

The wine, gin, and negroni mix are all packed. The cheeses will go in the esky shortly, along with the pate, proscuitto, and other goodies. We'll buy more basic stuff up there.

We discovered some new pate at Coles the other day - Pate Pods. Four 50g pods to a pack, all different flavours. Good for trips like this as you don't have to open them all at once.

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The sun is trying to come out. We are still getting passing showers today. The ferry is always a great trip with a good chance of seeing some dolphins along the way. Enjoy.

image.jpeg.7d01af0b5ea443b096df67de643a6d07.jpegimage.jpeg.02c8f41f1cd22a422092b1b3dbe28b25.jpeg

25 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

There is a new operator doing the trip across Port Stephens, Y-Knot, using a catamaran. Same price, $26 return.

image.jpeg.35b369ea07cba8675ec258a04ff03f05.jpeg

I've been across to NB from TG on the old ferry. Will have to give this one a go next time. Will there be two operators now or does the new one replace the previous?