Possible short cruise on Serenity?

I'm scheduled to take the Serenity Panama Canal cruise on January 5, 2021.  If that goes (quite an assumption) do you think that Crystal will insert a short cruise between January 1st and 5th as a "rehearsal" cruise? To me, it would make sense to test cruise protocols on a short cruise with a limited number of passengers before starting a World Cruise. 

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I think you are making way too much of the January 1st date.  It's not the bright line for "start, no start" that you seem to project.

I believe that they cancelled all of the 2020 cruises I would guess that the earliest start date would be January 1, 2021. No one knows for sure what Crystal may do at this time. They may cancel well into 2021 or cease operations entirely, or sell off their holdings. We just don't know. My question is purely speculative.

Edited by Life Buoy

They have, in the past, done unofficial cruises when new ships were rolled out - with limited small passenger loads (my parents took 1 on Symphony).   Who know how they will get things rolling again, with testing new procedures and making sure crew is all set.

1 minute ago, Roland4 said:

I am more inclined to think the next announcement will be the cancellation of the World Cruise as both Regent and Seabourn have already done.

I sadly suspect that you are correct!

Edited by Life Buoy
12 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

I am more inclined to think the next announcement will be the cancellation of the World Cruise as both Regent and Seabourn have already done.

Cunard and HAL also canceled their 2021 world cruises. Surprisingly, in addition to Crystal Serenity, Silver Whisper still shows its 150 day world cruise departing Ft. Lauderdale on 1/7/21.

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Given right now USA citizens can only visit a handful of countries it is not a surprise for it to be cancelled.  The question in my mind is when sailings begin and where.  It will be interesting to see what feedback comes from the CDC later this month with respect to cruise lines starting up in the USA. 

Either  way I don’t see a 4 day cruise as the first one and certainly not starting January 1. 

Keith

Does anyone have any idea of what status exists with Serenity and Symphony - warm, cool or cold layup?  And how long it will take for them to get ready to go for January 5 and 6 sailings.  There is an Oceania thread that speculates about this:

Serenity will have to move from Port Klang to Miami which might take a couple of weeks anyway.

43 minutes ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

Does anyone have any idea of what status exists with Serenity and Symphony - warm, cool or cold layup?  And how long it will take for them to get ready to go for January 5 and 6 sailings.  There is an Oceania thread that speculates about this:

Serenity will have to move from Port Klang to Miami which might take a couple of weeks anyway.

Warm.  Both ships periodically leave their moorings and make short runs.  Serenity from Port Klang, Symphony from Sembawang.  Skeleton crewed presumably.

Edited by flyingshoes
1 hour ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

Leaving aside the fact that both New Zealand and Australia remain closed, case numbers are showing increases in Asia/South-East Asia, and of course, India, this is a big reason why I think they will cancel. While the ships may be in warm layup, given Crystal's current financial straits, it makes zero sense to incur the costs involved to dead-head Serenity from Port Klang to Miami. Either the third or fourth segment was supposed to start in Hong Kong March 1/21. I could see a case, assuming the financials are fixed, where they might resume operations from there on March 1, but I think anything before that may be wishful thinking.

10 hours ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

Like many cruise lines Crystal continues to plan for future sailings but the challenge is no one know when they can start up.

For USA sailings lines are waiting to hear back from the CDC and from what I have read it is possible more will be known from the CDC later this month but that could range to continue staying in a holding pattern to being able to sail starting x time frame.

Personally, if it is possible to sail from the USA to a limited number of places where USA citizens can go I think that would have the highest possibility as near term I don't see other countries opening up their borders to USA citizens given where we stand on COVID-19 and the forecasts for a challenging Fall and Winter.

On the other hand it could be many months being depending on the successful rollout of a COVID-19 vaccine but as we all know there is a lot up in the air about that from whether it works, and if it does its success rate, to availability to how many people can be vaccinated.  Lots of unknowns and this is where I do say time will tell and no one know for sure when cruising will start back up in a robust manner.

Keith

17 hours ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

It will take 34 days via the Med at 15 knots, assuming no stops for the Serenity to reach Miami.  (see Ports.com calculator).   

Hapag Lloyd has been cruising the Europ2 for some time doing short RT voyage's from Hamburg with just German passengers. I believe a great way to see if their plans are working  and get the crew up to speed on the new norm.  If the US would wave  the maritime laws ships could make trips up and down the coasts stopping just at US ports to also test their procedures and get consumers confidence back. The government needs to do something before the industry implodes.

The problem with short cruises or “cruises to nowhere” are that they still involve crowded areas in closed spaces, which are the biggest spreaders of the virus. 

I’m sure we’re all responsible here, but any cruise will have people who will “forget” to wear their masks in narrow hallways, elevators, dashing upstairs for coffee, or worse. Crystal can’t police that constantly.

Yes, a test at boarding will help, but it won’t catch crowd exposure (airports, ports, etc.) on the way to the cruise.  

I’m not risk adverse and not afraid of getting sick, but that isn’t the point. I’m responsible for not spreading it to others. That means avoiding crowds and closed spaces over days at a time. 

Not to mention, if the laundry is closed, the Avenue Saloon is closed (it’s very small), there are no buffets, no browsing at the Bistro, no walking around with drinks, no port stops, timed reservations required for dining and entertainment.... will it still be a Crystal experience? Would you expect to pay less?

i wish we could flip a switch and make this all be over but it’s going to be gradual, unfortunately.

Edited by Cruise-y
On 9/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, Roland4 said:

Leaving aside the fact that both New Zealand and Australia remain closed, case numbers are showing increases in Asia/South-East Asia, and of course, India, this is a big reason why I think they will cancel. While the ships may be in warm layup, given Crystal's current financial straits, it makes zero sense to incur the costs involved to dead-head Serenity from Port Klang to Miami. Either the third or fourth segment was supposed to start in Hong Kong March 1/21. I could see a case, assuming the financials are fixed, where they might resume operations from there on March 1, but I think anything before that may be wishful thinking.

I like your rationale but an alternative might be to revise both ship's itineraries as they are both in the Far East.  I do think that Crystal will cancel the WC.  Really there is no choice.  Dead heading back to the US will be costly but the alternative, finding passengers who want to start their cruise from the Far East after long flights from the US, may be a turn off.  And although cruising remains unsettled from the US, I would think passengers would be more comfortable with much shorter flights to the the embarkation port as well as shorter return flights, especially if there are health issues.  Regardless, a decision on whatever option is chosen, cannot be far off.  The first clue will probably be through the crew's contacts with CC members.  

23 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

The problem with short cruises or “cruises to nowhere” are that they still involve crowded areas in closed spaces, which are the biggest spreaders of the virus. 

I’m sure we’re all responsible here, but any cruise will have people who will “forget” to wear their masks in narrow hallways, elevators, dashing upstairs for coffee, or worse. Crystal can’t police that constantly.

Yes, a test at boarding will help, but it won’t catch crowd exposure (airports, ports, etc.) on the way to the cruise.  

I’m not risk adverse and not afraid of getting sick, but that isn’t the point. I’m responsible for not spreading it to others. That means avoiding crowds and closed spaces over days at a time. 

Not to mention, if the laundry is closed, the Avenue Saloon is closed (it’s very small), there are no buffets, no browsing at the Bistro, no walking around with drinks, no port stops, timed reservations required for dining and entertainment.... will it still be a Crystal experience? Would you expect to pay less?

i wish we could flip a switch and make this all be over but it’s going to be gradual, unfortunately.

Although I agree it might not be a Crystal experience - I don't think we are going to see the old experience for years even if cruising starts again in 2021.  What I do think, and this is for all cruise lines,  if provide an experience for people who will find it easier to get to a cruise and most importantly, to me, to get home.   Helping the industry and getting things started even if not close to the same as the old will help all levels of cruising.   A lot of people cruise because they most enjoy sea days and this could be for them.   Sure they'd have to provide maybe more and different types of entertainment etc.  Not without risks but starting is needed.