APPROPRIATE ACTIONS OR EXTREME MEASURES?

Spif Barwunkel

Masks are required for essentials or so called necessities. Somebody says a gym isn't, a church isn't, but a home Depot is. So whatever... every state is different. But folks, do understand this, whether you think it is or not, cruising is NOT a necessity in life. Nor is it essential. What I'm saying is if you don't feel safe on a ship because of individuals not wearing a mask, you should not be on said ship. Please stop with the 'I'm saving the Cruise industry' mantra. A mask is not going to stop Covid. It may help slow it down but it is not the be all & end all of covid.  

Nobody should be allowed on a ship until a vaccine is in place. Nobody. If that means ships don't sail, then they don't. Why should I feel  safe standing next to you because you're wearing a mask? You can bet your bottom dollar that the first thing you'll sign is a waiver from potential lawsuits of the cruiseline for allowing you or me to catch the infection of Covid, masks or no masks. 

Wake up folks. Wear your mask for groceries, drugs, lumber, and even a new refridgerator from Loews... these are deemed 'necessities', cruising isn't essential in life.  

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:44 PM, NMTraveller said:

"We saw many people everywhere going around with masks not properly worn or not worn at all, sometimes passing by an officer or supervisor meant you were asked to remedy that situation but we saw many times that be ignored by them."

Requote:  "Many people everywhere going around with masks not properly worn or not worn at all."

This is good news. "Many people not wearing masks..." and yet a completion of 4 to 5 cruises w/ no reports of Covid. I like where this is going. Actually, so far it's excellent news. 

On 9/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

I certainly think it would be worthwhile if several cruise passengers were invited to sit in on the discussions and have input. Don't know how you would determine who they should be, but the several millions of cruise passengers certainly deserve representation. If we've got to do it then we need to have some say-so as to what's expected and how it will be enforced. 

Obviously, the most difficult issue is the wearing or not of face coverings. As I see it, optional is not an option. It is either no one wears them or everyone covers up. If the latter is the decision, there must be strict adherence, enforcement and consequences. We really don't have any do-overs here. If cruising is to once again become a viable and successful vacation choice, then cool heads must prevail and logical choices - even if unpopular - must be made. It is then up to us to stay or go. 

And if it's the option of 'no one wears them' where do you stand? Will you cruise again?

Nope, what I meant, there are rules in place but some people don’t pay attention to the rules, that’s why I’m working from home.  Same for the cruise, rules have been put in place, guidelines established but some people just don’t care!  That’s why we’re not comfortable going on a ship now, maybe 2022.

7 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Masks are required for essentials or so called necessities. Somebody says a gym isn't, a church isn't, but a home Depot is. So whatever... every state is different. But folks, do understand this, whether you think it is or not, cruising is NOT a necessity in life. Nor is it essential. What I'm saying is if you don't feel safe on a ship because of individuals not wearing a mask, you should not be on said ship. Please stop with the 'I'm saving the Cruise industry' mantra. A mask is not going to stop Covid. It may help slow it down but it is not the be all & end all of covid.  

Nobody should be allowed on a ship until a vaccine is in place. Nobody. If that means ships don't sail, then they don't. Why should I feel  safe standing next to you because you're wearing a mask? You can bet your bottom dollar that the first thing you'll sign is a waiver from potential lawsuits of the cruiseline for allowing you or me to catch the infection of Covid, masks or no masks. 

Wake up folks. Wear your mask for groceries, drugs, lumber, and even a new refridgerator from Loews... these are deemed 'necessities', cruising isn't essential in life.  

Goodtime Cruizin, excellent post. 

Right on the $, especially the "save the cruise industry" we see on these boards and the fact cruising is in no way shape or form essential.

Someone else also posted that the cruise industry has made a deliberate point of not registering in the US or other main G20 countries as a way of avoiding obligations. So...works for me totally that they are treated harshly in a manner befitting their decision. 

While I totally respect someone’s right to say “I won’t cruise without a mask!” from their couch, once you’re on a ship you had better follow the guidelines. Even more so, the cruise lines had better follow through with enforcement— this isn’t an obnoxious chair hog or someone cutting in front of others to place a drink order. This is life and death. And the rules had better be followed and enforced!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

As long as C19 remains prevalent worldwide I will not cruise, no matter what decision is made regarding the wearing of face masks.   

I hear ya -- I'm on the exact same page, Big Time,  and mentioned it on every thread relating to this same subject.

In an earlier post I read that  " cruising isn't essential in life " -- so true , yet, some folks are '' depressed " over not being able to cruise at this time. We miss cruising also, but , I have a feeling that our cruising days " might ", repeat , " might " be over after reading so many posts from CCers that have a much different opinion than ours re " safety " while on a ship. 

I know, I know , everybody's " entitled " to their own opinion.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, denatravels said:

While I totally respect someone’s right to say “I won’t cruise without a mask!” from their couch, once you’re on a ship you had better follow the guidelines. Even more so, the cruise lines had better follow through with enforcement— this isn’t an obnoxious chair hog or someone cutting in front of others to place a drink order. This is life and death. And the rules had better be followed and enforced!

Life or death? So you are requesting a cruiseline to make that choice for you? If you truly believe this is life or death, then you shouldn't even consider a cruise. Stay home & Stay safe. Besides why should I or anyone wear a mask to protect you?  This isn't a grocery store. You don't have to be on a ship.  I think you're being selfish to want to go on a cruise and expect others to bow down to your wishes. 

10 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I, for one, will NOT cruise if the option is no mask, or whatever you want. A mask inside should be mandatory or I won't go.

And you shouldn't either. If you're depending on a cruise line industry to protect your life from a contagious infection by instituting a mandatory mask, then you're asking for death. If you're scared and fearful of the infection, you should not even consider a cruise. #stayhome #staysafe

Life or death? So you are requesting a cruiseline to make that choice for you? If you truly believe this is life or death, then you shouldn't even consider a cruise. Stay home & Stay safe. Besides why should I or anyone wear a mask to protect you?  This isn't a grocery store. You don't have to be on a ship.  I think you're being selfish to want to go on a cruise and expect others to bow down to your wishes. 

I’m sorry you think it’s “bowing to my wishes” but I fully expect it to be mandated by the cruise line. If YOU cannot “bow to THEIR wishes”, then YOU should stay home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, denatravels said:

I’m sorry you think it’s “bowing to my wishes” but I fully expect it to be mandated by the cruise line. If YOU cannot “bow to THEIR wishes”, then YOU should stay home.

You can bet your bottom dollar.... I'll do what is necessary to get on the ship. Vaccine. Mask. Testing. But even then it sounds like you and others may not like my 'face covering' or the way it's worn. Too bad. If this bothers you... stay off the ship. I'm a nice guy. Polite and respectful as well, but do understand, I don't cruise for your enjoyment. If you can't handle it, don't cruise. 

You can bet your bottom dollar.... I'll do what is necessary to get on the ship. Vaccine. Mask. Testing. But even then it sounds like you and others may not like my 'face covering' or the way it's worn. Too bad. If this bothers you... stay off the ship. I'm a nice guy. Polite and respectful as well, but do understand, I don't cruise for your enjoyment. If you can't handle it, don't cruise. 

I don’t think you understand how this works. I’m not telling you to stay off the ship (although you’ve now said it to me twice, so I wouldn’t go as far as saying you are either “polite or respectful”). If you cannot wear a mask properly or follow the rules, the cruiseline will do that for me. There isn’t any reason for you to suggest that I shouldn’t cruise if I expect other passengers to follow the rules. This will be enforced on their end.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, denatravels said:

I don’t think you understand how this works. I’m not telling you to stay off the ship (although you’ve now said it to me twice, so I wouldn’t go as far as saying you are either “polite or respectful”). If you cannot wear a mask properly or follow the rules, the cruiseline will do that for me. There isn’t any reason for you to suggest that I shouldn’t cruise if I expect other passengers to follow the rules. This will be enforced on their end.

I think you're failing in this thread. A couple of times. First, there are no said rules in place. You're only hoping that the industry will place a mask rule in place so you can cruise. Second, you're hoping that if a said rule of a required mask will be enforced by the cruiseline so your life will be protected. Third. It won't happen. Now I don't doubt for a minute that if some cruiser blatantly refuses to wear a mask, they'll be dealt with, then spotlighted in the media and in a cruise critic thread as well in an effort to set an example and a tone for future cruises. But after a few months of cruises around various spots of the world enforcement will grow lax. Fourth... who are you to tell me or anyone how a mask should be worn?  

I don't care if you get on a ship or not. But I hope you do. And I'll tell you again, if you're worried about Covid protocals on a ship, you shouldn't be on it. Why are you expecting a cruise ship to keep you covid free when you can catch it home going shopping? It's foolishness. #stayhome or #gocamping #avoidcrowds

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agree with you completely 

6 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

As long as C19 remains prevalent worldwide I will not cruise, no matter what decision is made regarding the wearing of face masks.   

This!  YES!

16 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

This is good news. "Many people not wearing masks..." and yet a completion of 4 to 5 cruises w/ no reports of Covid. I like where this is going. Actually, so far it's excellent news. 

based on the cruise home ports and relatively low incidence of Covid in Germany and Italy, the odds are no one infected has made it on board yet. MSC did catch a COVID positive case during their pre boarding testing.

However with cases going up in the EU an active case will make it on board sooner or later then we will see how good the protocols work. 

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yeah 100%. If they’re that concerned they should stay home

• Like 1

I don't get the "then stay home" comments. People are saying that if cruising starts with mandated safety requirements, they would go only if the crew enforces them and require passengers to comply. What the heck is overly concerned about that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, denatravels said:

Assuming that the cruise line will properly enforce mask requirements is a tough one to buy.  How many trips have you been on lately?  The mask rules are way way too easy to bypass.  Someone is requested to put their mask up, they comply and put it down after they turn the corner.  They can even apologize for it falling down.  I have been to 5 or 6 different states and I have not seen a single state with real enforcement.  That is not something that I would count on.  I do wear a mask properly myself.

Now the other argument is that they will enforce it because they have to.  You could make the same argument for restaurants and hotels where enforcement is lax.

Will I cruise?  The bigger issue for me is infection rates at cruise ports.  If they are high I will not go.  Right now that would include Florida, Texas, and California.  We have a 2 week quarantine period from those high states.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

What else should be prohibited until a vaccine is in place?   (Ignoring the issues about creating a vaccine in the first place, and then acceptance rates and efficacy of vaccines).

A cruise ship is a floating hotel with restaurants and entertainment venues.

We can go to hotels.

We can go to restaurants

We can go to entertainment venues

Why should it be prohibited to combine them?

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 8:47 PM, UnorigionalName said:

Fine, for you "science-man bad" people

replace R0 with the concept "are the cases going up or going down"

cases go up = frowny face

cases go down = happy face

too many people on big boat make frowny face

Not buying it, sorry.

You need to define "too many" and the conditions present on a cruise ship that are not present elsewhere in daily life (hotels, restaurants, entertainment venues) that make cruise ships a frowny face place.

Other than unsubstantiated "floating Petri dish" comments, there is nothing to suggest that a cruise ship is any more hazardous than doing those other things.