Silversea drops FCC down to 110% on cruises they cancel

alexandria

Sadly, our first cruise with Silversea, a November sailing of the Whisper, is being cancelled according to the email from Silversea forwarded by our travel agent.

I noted that in the email the future cruise credit offer is only 110%, rather than the 125% that was listed on the Cruise with Confidence policy.  Sure enough, that policy was updated effective yesterday to reduce the FCC from the previous 125% down to 110%.  While I could probably make a case that we are due the 125% FCC advertised in their Cruise with Confidence policy when we booked, it isn't worth the effort.

I must say that their failure to provide the FCC that was advertised when booked is NOT the way that Silversea will earn the business of this first-time Silversea passenger.  Frankly it runs contrary to all that I had previously heard about Silversea but I suppose that in these times, even a reputable and service-minded travel provider has to make changes that in the short-term will help their bottom line but in the long-term may alienate future customers.

Looks like a refund it will be for me!

1 hour ago, milepig said:

I sort of think that 15% of the cost of an expensive cruise IS worth the effort!

How can they do this the parent company RCL holdings is giving 125 %  for CX cruise on the other hand another luxury line is giving  125 %

What reason would there be to use the FCC ??  

Edited by etual324

20 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

That makes the FCC pretty useless!

From the parent company web site

We're now offering more options.

Below are some options for you, including one that has been very well received by our guests, as it provides a little something extra to use when we all start cruising again!

Future Cruise Credit (Higher Value)

As a result of this change, we’re providing you with a 125% Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with us by April 30th, 2022. Please re-book using your FCC by December 31st, 2021. We will automatically issue you your Future Cruise Credit (FCC) via email. So, there’s nothing for you to do!

• Please know, taxes & fees and any RoyalUp upgrades will be automatically refunded. You can expect to see these in 45 days.

• If you used a Cruise with Confidence certificate on this sailing, you’ll receive a new Future Cruise Certificate for 125% of your total cruise fare value paid, including the value of your original certificate.

Frequently Asked Questions

• How quickly will I get my Future Cruise Credit so I can rebook?

• How is the 125% Future Cruise Credit calculated for cruises cancelled due to the COVID-19 operations suspension?

• My cruise was cancelled due to a previous global suspension. I rebooked and now my new cruise has been cancelled. What happens to my refund and/or Future Cruise Credit?

• If I opted into the Cruise with Confidence 100% Future Cruise Credit, do I qualify for the 125% Future Cruise Credit or a refund for sailings cancelled due to the COVID-19 operations suspension?

• How can I redeem my Future Cruise Credit?

2 hours ago, alexandria said:

Sadly, our first cruise with Silversea, a November sailing of the Whisper, is being cancelled according to the email from Silversea forwarded by our travel agent.

I noted that in the email the future cruise credit offer is only 110%, rather than the 125% that was listed on the Cruise with Confidence policy.  Sure enough, that policy was updated effective yesterday to reduce the FCC from the previous 125% down to 110%.  While I could probably make a case that we are due the 125% FCC advertised in their Cruise with Confidence policy when we booked, it isn't worth the effort.

I must say that their failure to provide the FCC that was advertised when booked is NOT the way that Silversea will earn the business of this first-time Silversea passenger.  Frankly it runs contrary to all that I had previously heard about Silversea but I suppose that in these times, even a reputable and service-minded travel provider has to make changes that in the short-term will help their bottom line but in the long-term may alienate future customers.

Looks like a refund it will be for me!

I think it’s really sad that you have been treated so badly (along with many others no doubt) however in persuading you to take the refund SS have probably done you a favour.

And on the ‘Cruise with no confidence policy’ it is now ‘up to 110%’.

Edited by Silver Spectre

I just noticed the "up to 110%" language in the new policy.  Unfortunately, this change in their Cruise with Confidence policy has done nothing to increase this first-time Silversea passenger's confidence in their ability to deliver a quality product and service as expected.

In my view, Silversea promoted the Cruise with Confidence policy (by marketing emails and press releases), encouraging passengers to book now with Confidence as they could cancel and receive 100% FCC, and

"RECEIVE 125% FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT FOR VOYAGES CANCELED BY SILVERSEA"

(Their bolding, all caps and underlining, not mine!)

Yesterday they quietly changed that policy to provide for "up to 110%" future cruise credit for voyages canceled by Silversea (no press releases or marketing emails this time) and today have canceled a number of cruises, refusing to honor the Cruise with Confidence policy in effect at the time of booking and instead offering the reduced 110% FCC.

At worst, this reflects a lack of integrity and trustworthiness by Silversea who induced passengers to provide an influx of cash and bookings when desperately needed and leave cash for already booked and paid in full cruises with Silversea.  At best, this reflects an inconsiderate and inferior move not worthy of a luxury travel brand.  As a consumer, I expect companies that I entrust with my business and with my hard-earned money to engage in fair dealing and honor their promises and commitments.  In this instance, Silversea has failed.

My travel agent is reaching out to Silversea with my concerns, I will be interested in their response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, alexandria said:

I just noticed the "up to 110%" language in the new policy.  Unfortunately, this change in their Cruise with Confidence policy has done nothing to increase this first-time Silversea passenger's confidence in their ability to deliver a quality product and service as expected.

In my view, Silversea promoted the Cruise with Confidence policy (by marketing emails and press releases), encouraging passengers to book now with Confidence as they could cancel and receive 100% FCC, and

"RECEIVE 125% FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT FOR VOYAGES CANCELED BY SILVERSEA"

(Their bolding, all caps and underlining, not mine!)

Yesterday they quietly changed that policy to provide for "up to 110%" future cruise credit for voyages canceled by Silversea (no press releases or marketing emails this time) and today have canceled a number of cruises, refusing to honor the Cruise with Confidence policy in effect at the time of booking and instead offering the reduced 110% FCC.

At worst, this reflects a lack of integrity and trustworthiness by Silversea who induced passengers to provide an influx of cash and bookings when desperately needed and leave cash for already booked and paid in full cruises with Silversea.  At best, this reflects an inconsiderate and inferior move not worthy of a luxury travel brand.  As a consumer, I expect companies that I entrust with my business and with my hard-earned money to engage in fair dealing and honor their promises and commitments.  In this instance, Silversea has failed.

My travel agent is reaching out to Silversea with my concerns, I will be interested in their response.

What irks me is that RCL holdings is giving RCL and Celebrity  the 125% FCC is  not  SS  under the same corporate  umbrella  ????

How can you change policy midstream  

11 hours ago, etual324 said:

What irks me is that RCL holdings is giving RCL and Celebrity  the 125% FCC is  not  SS  under the same corporate  umbrella  ????

How can you change policy midstream  

Perhaps Barbara Muckermann might like to come on here and explain, especially since the new 21/22 brochure arrived this week with the ‘Cruise with confidence’ section stating an FCC of up to 125%! 

Yet another marketing disaster.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Perhaps Barbara Muckermann might like to come on here and explain, especially since the new 21/22 brochure arrived this week with the ‘Cruise with confidence’ section stating an FCC of up to 125%! 

Yet another marketing disaster.

Remember this email we got iN MARCH wonder if we will get another one that SS lowered the FCC credit  this email had the %125 FCC credit now it shows 110 % FCC

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.email.silversea.A MESSAGE FROM OUR PRESIDENT AND CEO

At Silversea, the safety, security and comfort of our guests and crew has always been our first priority. In times of uncertainty, peace of mind also becomes essential. As President and Chief Executive Officer, I want to personally reach out and update you on our latest accommodations and policies.

With the help of Royal Caribbean Group, Silversea is proud to announce one of the most comprehensive rebooking and cancellation policies in the cruise sector. In addition to the 30-day cash cancellation policy announced yesterday for all sailings between June 1- December 31, 2020, I’m pleased to add another refund option. We are now offering future cruise credits, which cover all cruises sailing from today until July 31st, 2020. For further details on this new policy, please click here.

As a leading luxury brand, we want to serve our loyal guests by providing the most timely and accurate information on the fluid situation created by the novel Coronavirus, or COVID-19. To that end, we have several resources available to you based on the most up-to-date information from respected health authorities, governments and regulators worldwide:

Through enhanced sanitation protocols, preboarding health monitoring and more flexible travel policies, we want to support you as an avid explorer who shares our passion for travel. Even with the most reliable information, however, we understand that some guests might still have concerns. We want to help you with any questions you may have about potential disruption of your plans or itinerary changes.

While we can’t predict the future, we know that at the right time our guests will continue to travel and explore the world and its wonders. As always, we will strive to provide you with the latest information; please feel free to reach out to us at any time.

Best regards,

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.email.silversea.com%2Fwpm%2F1035%2FContentUploads%2FImages%2FMIA%2FRM_SIGNATURE_revised-final.jpg&t=1600344416&ymreqid=4983b4f7-6dc7-074a-2c03-ba00c2010000&sig=pH1UoQYKQLAdORottgFRDg--~D
Roberto Martinoli,
President and Chief Executive Officer

FOLLOW US:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Pinterest
Blog

Add silversealuxurycruises@email.silversea.com to your address book to ensure our emails reach your inbox.

Sent to etual324@aol.com
Sent from Silversea Cruises Ltd. | Wells Fargo Center | 333 SE 2nd Avenue | Suite 2600 | Miami, FL 33131
If you do not wish to receive emails like this in the future, please unsubscribe
Silversea.com | View privacy policy

Visit Silversea.com for complete Terms and Conditions.

©2020 Silversea Cruises. Ships' registry: The Bahamas and Ecuador

P and O  cruises cx the rest of 2020 and guess what

All guests with a holiday cancelled due to our extended pause will automatically receive a 125% FCC. This can be used on any new booking made before 31 December 2021 for any holiday on sale during that period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, etual324 said:

P and O  cruises cx the rest of 2020 and guess what

All guests with a holiday cancelled due to our extended pause will automatically receive a 125% FCC. This can be used on any new booking made before 31 December 2021 for any holiday on sale during that period.

Interesting.  But is the FCC the only option?  Can one opt for a cash refund instead?  

11 minutes ago, Observer said:

Interesting.  But is the FCC the only option?  Can one opt for a cash refund instead?  

All guests with bookings on a cancelled cruise will be notified and will automatically receive an enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit or alternatively can fill in the web form for a 100% refund. The FCC will be added to your account automatically and may be used any time before December 2021 and put towards any holiday on sale at that time.

If you are not sure whether you will use your enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit offer which will be automatically applied to your account, you have until 30 November 2020 to request a refund.

Barbara Muckermann has replied on the SS group on FB.  Paraphrasing, the Cruise with Confidence promotion was only intended for a short period of a couple of months or so and as it coming towards a year now, has had to evolve. She is obviously using the Diane Abbott form of counting as it’s less than 6 months since it was introduced. She doesn’t respond to the fact that RCL is still offering a similar policy with 125% FCC’s or the fact that an SS brochure fronted by her arrived this week stating the original 125%. Caveat emptor rules at SS.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Barbara Muckermann has replied on the SS group on FB.  Paraphrasing, the Cruise with Confidence promotion was only intended for a short period of a couple of months or so and as it coming towards a year now, has had to evolve. She is obviously using the Diane Abbott form of counting as it’s less than 6 months since it was introduced. She doesn’t respond to the fact that RCL is still offering a similar policy with 125% FCC’s or the fact that an SS brochure fronted by her arrived this week stating the original 125%. Caveat emptor rules at SS.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Barbara Muckermann has replied on the SS group on FB.  Paraphrasing, the Cruise with Confidence promotion was only intended for a short period of a couple of months or so and as it coming towards a year now, has had to evolve.

Mr. Silver, is she saying the policy goes into effect immediately on all existing bookings, or that the revised policy takes effect on a certain date for bookings made from this point forward?  I understand the fairness of the latter, but if the change is the former, it would seem SS is opening themselves up to some sort of class action as clearly the 125% FCC promotion not being honored would be considered bait-and-switch behavior.

55 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

We were initially "duped" by Silversea's very first Cruise with Confidence Promotion (refund for cancellations on certain cruises up to 30 days before departure) which suddenly disappeared from the website on 8th April.  We therefore waited anxiously for our cruise to be cancelled by Silversea, then had an even longer and more frustrating wait for our refund.

Surely the whole point of a Cruise with Confidence policy is exactly that - to give customers confidence that they the company's promises will be honoured.  

Silversea's moving of the goalposts is worrying, and sadly is a company I would no longer trust with my money.  "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!".  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Mr. Silver, is she saying the policy goes into effect immediately on all existing bookings, or that the revised policy takes effect on a certain date for bookings made from this point forward?  I understand the fairness of the latter, but if the change is the former, it would seem SS is opening themselves up to some sort of class action as clearly the 125% FCC promotion not being honored would be considered bait-and-switch behavior.

She stated all cancellations with a sail date of a Nov 1st or later. So if you booked a Nov Cruise 3 months ago under the absolute 125% you are now only getting 110%. I consider that is bait-and-switch, as per the OP on this thread.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

She stated all cancellations with a sail date of a Nov 1st or later. So if you booked a Nov Cruise 3 months ago under the absolute 125% you are now only getting 110%. I consider that is bait-and-switch, as per the OP on this thread.

It is called CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE

I do not think SilverSea and Mr Webster have the same definition  especially the word TRUST

the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust.
"we had every confidence in the staff"

• Like 1

Yes, the reduction in FCC for cruises cancelled by Silversea is RETROACTIVE to all existing bookings.  Some on the Silversea Passengers FB group have claimed that there are terms and conditions in the Cruise with Confidence policy (promotion as Barbara M. refers to it) that permits Silversea to change the amount of FCC from 125% to 110%. 

However, I am not seeing that on the April 8, 2020 Cruise with Confidence policy, attached.  Am I overlooking it?

Whether such language would permit Silversea to retroactively reduce the credit promised is a different issue, but since I don't see that language at all, I won't delve into that right now...

If that language is missing from the April 8 policy, I wonder if Silversea doesn't realize they omitted any disclaimer language? They may be relying on faulty information (or I am relying on faulty information)!

Silversea Cruise with Confidence Program 20200408.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Absolutely agree.

Hopefully, since English isn’t Ms. Muckermann’s native tongue, I hope this is just a misunderstanding of meaning and SS clarifies their position.  I would imagine their phones are ringing off the hook from irate agencies and individual customers.

It certainly is reasonable that all new bookings made from this date forward will only be offered a 110% FCC or 100% refund.  But, to renege on a previous offer of 125% for existing bookings seems not only like a marketing disaster relative to customer loyalty, but also an illegal act.

• Like 2