Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sandebeach

From PortMiami: Florida Senators introduce Set Sail Safety Act

Recommended Posts

Cruise Capital of the World thanks Senators Rick Scott and Marco Rubio for introducing Set Sail Safely Act

MIAMI ( September 16, 2020 )  

Today, Florida Senators Rick Scott and Marco Rubio introduced the Set Sail Safely Act, which will establish a Maritime Task Force, in coordination with a Private Sector Advisory Committee, to address the health, safety, security, and logistical changes needed to allow cruise lines and ports to resume operations. Currently, cruise lines are under a No Sail Order until September 30, 2020, amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are extremely grateful for the introduction of the Set Sail Safely Act sponsored by Senator Rick Scott,” said Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez. “The cruise industry is a vital economic driver of our national, state and County economies. The dramatic impact of its closure is felt every day that cruise ships are not in operations. Thousands of jobs have vanished, and millions of dollars continue to be lost daily. We welcome Senator Scott’s initiative and stand ready to work with him.”

“We thank Senator Scott and Senator Rubio for their leadership,” said Chairwoman of the Miami-Dade Tourism and the Ports Committee Rebeca Sosa. “The 'No Sail Order' has had a tremendous impact on our local economy, and this initiative is the right step toward the restart of cruise operations.”

The Set Sail Safely Act would require the proper federal agencies, led by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, to work together with input from private sector stakeholders to develop a plan for the safe resumption of cruise line operations.

Click here for more information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the political pressure from last weeks video conference is starting to get traction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of this sounds like anyone expects cruises to resume in November.  "Develop a plan"...  "get federal agencies to work together"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you click on the link in the Press Release it goes to Senator Scott’s page and has some more information. Interesting that, of the federal agencies requested to be on the Maritime Task Force, CDC is not listed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, politicians will do whatever they can to get votes.   It's what they do.    If this task force actually accomplishes something to help get cruises up and running safely.     Can't hurt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can't imagine what DHS needs other than updated procedures for masks and gloves and distancing and such.

 

Coast guards needs to do nothing.  I don't see anything in the way there to resume cruises.

 

The whole reason cruises were stopped was to prevent a shipload of infection people from arriving at a port and spreading to the airports and states, or overwhelming local health resources.  In other words, this:

 

Published yesterday.

The Carnival Cruise Ship That Spread Coronavirus Around the World

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-09-15/carnival-s-ruby-princess-cruise-ship-spread-coronavirus-around-the-world?fbclid=IwAR1Vke46MgCClDgLBRC21q70vbN4kKCm_bznBxYyKvxeZT_lYYN5x0PfjOw

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a good point, I don’t know what support Senator Scott would have from other states. Perhaps just from states that have cruise ports or indirectly/directly get revenue from cruise-related industries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to say NY/NJ would be supportive given we have 3 cruise ports here.  But we are still conservative on gatherings. just now allowing nursing home visitors. Theaters remain shut.  I doubt anyone will be excited to open the ports here.  

 

To be fair, we are proud of our < 1% rate and it's working for us.  The slightest errors from people and it goes > 1% again.  One bad cruise ship can be a big problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida’s rates are finally going down. For me, I am thrilled that rates in  Broward County and Miami-Dade County are finally going down. Broward County is looking to bring kids back to school in October. Bars are still closed here, but the Miami-Dade mayor has said that he will meet bar owners and discuss the possibility of re-opening some bars with restrictions similar to restaurants. So things are improving in South Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Florida’s rates are finally going down. For me, I am thrilled that rates in  Broward County and Miami-Dade County are finally going down. Broward County is looking to bring kids back to school in October. Bars are still closed here, but the Miami-Dade mayor has said that he will meet bar owners and discuss the possibility of re-opening some bars with restrictions similar to restaurants. So things are improving in South Florida. 

I am curious are the cases down or just people aren't getting tested  because they gave up waiting in the long lines and test results taking up to 2 weeks?   I truly hope it is the cases are down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am curious are the cases down or just people aren't getting tested  because they gave up waiting in the long lines and test results taking up to 2 weeks?   I truly hope it is the cases are down.

My brother got a test three weeks ago in Jensen Beach/Stuart area and they texted him his results in 48 hours. I had a test at a local hospital in Ft. Lauderdale, the day before an outpatient procedure and they are getting the results back in 4- 5 hours, so it may depend on the area/locality. Yes I have heard that people in Miami had to wait  5 or more days to get results.  

Edited by sandebeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see Florida's cases going in the right direction.  And I think it was business owners who finally got serious and started enforcing some safety.  I am actually traveling to Florida to stay at a Disney hotel for 10 days for a getaway.  Renting a car and seeing some nature and keeping to myself mostly.  I think I can stay safe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sandebeach said:

My brother got a t three weeks ago in Jensen Beach/Stuart area and they texted him his results in 48 hours. I had a test at a local hospital the day before an outpatient procedure and they are getting the results back in 4- hours, so it may depend on the area/locality. Yes I have heard that people in Miami had to wait  5 or more days to get results.  

You are doing way better than NY. There is only one place I can get a test for any reason and results take 5-7 days.  Everywhere else you must have multiple symptoms and results are 2-10 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that this proposed legislation would include some type of liability protection for the cruise lines.  Even though they are foreign flagged ships, they are American Corporations.  I suspect that the cruise lines are looking for legal protection against liability suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

My brother got a test three weeks ago in Jensen Beach/Stuart area and they texted him his results in 48 hours. I had a test at a local hospital in Ft. Lauderdale, the day before an outpatient procedure and they are getting the results back in 4- 5 hours, so it may depend on the area/locality. Yes I have heard that people in Miami had to wait  5 or more days to get results.  

Glad to hear the tests are being processed faster than earlier this summer.   I hope all went well with your procedure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

You are doing way better than NY. There is only one place I can get a test for any reason and results take 5-7 days.  Everywhere else you must have multiple symptoms and results are 2-10 days.

Really that surprises me for NY.  I reside in PA but frequently go to shorehouse at LBI Nj and test sites are available.  Hardly see anyone at them but they are several places I know of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

I'd love to say NY/NJ would be supportive given we have 3 cruise ports here.  But we are still conservative on gatherings. just now allowing nursing home visitors. Theaters remain shut.  I doubt anyone will be excited to open the ports here.  

 

To be fair, we are proud of our < 1% rate and it's working for us.  The slightest errors from people and it goes > 1% again.  One bad cruise ship can be a big problem.

Movie theaters are open in my area of NJ as are gyms and churches but with masks and 25%. Speaking for myself, I have no problem opening ports up with guidelines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Movie theaters are open in my area of NJ as are gyms and churches but with masks and 25%. Speaking for myself, I have no problem opening ports up with guidelines.  

Same in my area.  We have had everything but movie theaters open since June.  I think theaters opened end of august.  We go to 50% capacity for restaurants and some other things this weekend.  Majority of schools and universities are doing virtual learning but some sporting events for the kids are running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same in my area.  We have had everything but movie theaters open since June.  I think theaters opened end of august.  We go to 50% capacity for restaurants and some other things this weekend.  Majority of schools and universities are doing virtual learning but some sporting events for the kids are running.

Only thing that's a PIA is the travel restrictions especially now that Delaware was readded and California of all places was taken off. Our youngest 2 are at college in Philadelphia that is virtual but they have in person labs. My school is open but is hybrid. Everyone including the kids are very careful with social distancing, masks, temperature checks. I dont see anyone in stores without masks on. Whole new world out there.

Edited by jean87510

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  NOTHING good can come from Congress getting involved in this.

2. If anything does happen, it will be long after we have either began enjoying cruising again, or long after we have mourned the demise of the cruising industry.

 

I should sell my RCL stock and cancel all my cruises for cash refund tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

radarcruiser - kind of like getting the phone call "I'm from the IRS and we want to help you"..........

The cruise lines need someone to advocate for them, but prior Congressional interest/oversight has not been helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...