The Daily for Thursday Sep 17, 2020

richwmn

today is Citizenship Day & Constitution Day, and National Apple Dumpling Day

Stop searching.  Happiness is right next to you.

Meal suggestion for today - Sauteed Radishes with Green Beans

Drink of the Day - Planters Punch

Wine of the day - Matervini Malbec Luján de Cuyo Finca Perdriel vintage 2015

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Willemstad eta 9/19
Koningsdam destination Willemstad eta 9/27
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Kralendijk Bonaire
Oosterdam destination Willemstad eta 9/27

Gibraltar
Westerdam

Limassol Cyprus
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Zaandam

0917World.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

A couple of notes.

It is a rainy day here, it has been raining very heavily since before 4am. I should have been able to sleep in a bit but my cat had other ideas.

It appears that Koningsdam and Oosterdam will be transiting the Panama Canal in the next couple of days. It looks likely that they are scheduled for around the 23rd or 24th.

In response to Roy's suggestion about adding Rotterdam VII, I think I should wait until MT and CM show her under her proper name. CM is showing her under Nieuw Rotterdam but isn't showing a position. MT is still showing the old Rotterdam.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the daily Rich and stay safe, hoping Sally does not produce too much flooding.  A fantastic selection of days today.  Love thaat quote, sounds true.  That's a meal suggestion I could relate to.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Sososailor

Smoke for Victoriann AndiLand, and her in-laws

Himself’s left arm

The Gulf Coast after Sally

RIP Retired Fire Captain David Tumblin

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front line health workers

Welcome home Cruising along

Himself healing

Welcome home Lindaler

Carrie Underwood, Thoass Rhatt, and other Country Music Award winners

and memories of the four ships leaving the fleet

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich, Roy, and daily-ites.

Love the quote!

Our country needs to celebrate the days and remember!!

Planters Punch:

• 3 ounces dark rum
  • 3/4 once lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1 ounce simple syrup
  • 1 barspoon grenadine
  • 3 dashes Angostura bitters
  • 1 splash soda water
  • Garnish: mint sprig

Prayers and congratulations for our lists.  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, richwmn said:

It appears that Koningsdam and Oosterdam will be transiting the Panama Canal in the next couple of days. It looks likely that they are scheduled for around the 23rd or 24th.

Watching on Marine Traffic it appears that Oosterdam is approaching the locks now.

Roy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Watching on Marine Traffic it appears that Oosterdam is approaching the locks now.

Roy

You are correct about Oosterdam. I was basing my estimate on her scheduled arrival on the 27th. It won't take more than a day or two once she is in the Caribbean.

As to Koningsdam, although MT earlier showed a destination of Willemstad, it is now showing Pacific Anchorage Panama again (or maybe I just had the wrong ship up) so her status is unclear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Hope Sally does not cause you too many problems. It took a chunk out a bridge that connects Gulf Breeze, Florida & other beach communities to the mainland. 

Interesting that the soon four ships will be in the Caribbean area - at least temporarily. Roy thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy hope you have won your critter battle! 

What a great combination of days! I shall toast the citizens of the world this evening.

Great quote. I love roasted radishes, so I might substitute them for the sautéed version. I must admit that the meal suggestion seems to be more of a side dish for me. Perhaps I will add a salmon burger. Thank you for the drink recipe @summer slope! It certainly sounds more appealing than yesterday’s entry.

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating & to the citizens of the world.

Stay well everyone. 

This Argentinian Malbec is very highly rated, but I could not find it available on line, so the wine.com price of $89.99 for its out of stock supply is the only price I could find. Even winesearcher.com did not have it.  I love the winemaker’s note that it has a flavor of “attractive austerity”. Who knew austerity had a flavor?

#94 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The vineyard that gives origin to this Malbec was planted in 1938 and was cultivated by horses until 2002. It grows at 3200 feet of altitude, in alluvial soils: sandy loam with clay layers and deep gravel beds, formed by the millenary activity of Mendoza River. The combination this soil and old vines results in this classic wine from Mendoza, with flavors of attractive austerity, strong minerality, good balance and a long finish.

WS94

Wine Spectator
Big, rich and full-bodied, with inky accents to the ripe dark plum, cherry and blackberry flavors. Black licorice notes show midpalate, with mocha and dark chocolate details on the dense finish. Drink now through 2022.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 9

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. I hope you stay safe from Sally.

My happiness is always right here near my side.

Sauteed radish?

There were many constitution and citizenship quips, but I felt they were under a political umbrella and not appropriate so chose to keep an apple dumpling pic. I used to make dumplings like these at our bed and breakfast.

Had to bring the feeders in last night due to rain, so my test will end after the rainfall. I woke up to thunder this morning. There is lightning and thunder all around us, but no rain yet this morning.

Thanks Ann (good morning sis!) for the wine review and thanks to Roy for the sunrise and pray and toast to list. Good morning sister Denise:}

Will be toasting to our country tonight. Stay safe. Be happy with that loved one at your side. Love ya'll! Blessings.

Bakingdom — All you need is love. And dessert.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
remove pic
  • Like 12

Good morning fellow thread followers, I am back after a couple of days struggling with signing in.  Lots to celebrate today that I could raise a toast to if I had all the ingredients for Planters Punch.  I remember back to the spring when the K was allowed to transit the canal through the new locks, do you think negotiations would have to take place again?  Thinking about those on Roy's care list and best wishes to those celebrating.  Thanks to all the contributors who make this thread a place that you like coming back to daily. 💐🥂🦋

• Like 13

Good morning from rainy Georgia thanks to Sally.  We had rain all night long here south of Atlanta, and awoke at 3 a.m. when the power went off, on, off, on with our bedroom smoke detector beeping loudly each time.  This morning we looked at our rain gauge out front.  It can only hold 5 and 1/2 inches of rain and is at the top thus an overflow in all probability.  No idea of exactly how much rain we received but we are still under a flash flood warning in our county.  Since there are lots of hills and valleys here you must watch out if you live or work in a low lying area or plan to drive in a low lying area.  Luckily I am staying home and live on a hill.  All is well at the homestead!

Yay for our constitution, citizenship and apple dumplings!  No thanks to the menu of the day but the quote is a good one.  Have a great day everyone.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 10

Good morning!! Actually it seems like night here!🙄 For some reason I got up at 5:30!!!!! So coffee it is and The Daily!

Later this morning were doing a clean up at our local Moonlight Beach and than heading out to pick up Paisley! 
🌺Rich hope you stay safe with all the rain and I bet your cat wanted to either play or curl up next to you.

🌺Roy appreciate your contributions always from the care/celebrations list to your pictures👍

Todays quote so perfect!! Wish everyone would realize that!

🌺Ann Thankyou for always giving us the ratings and description of the wines. 
Also Thankyou for being my virtual sister.

”How are the twins? Have you seen them?”

🌺Joy! Good morning sister!! Bed and Breakfast wow! You are a gal with many talents. You and Allen have a great day!

So appreciate you and Ann.

Have a blessed day! Stay well all! Be positive and Love our planet!!

Denise😊

• Like 8

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

How nice that you celebrate citizenship and your constitution on the same day 🙂

Love the quote.  I love radishes but have never thought of sautéing them.  That’s an intriguing idea.  I will see if I can find some today.

DH adores Argentinian  Malbec and would love that although I don’t like the price 😉 Thanks to @cat shepard for the description.  Love that she does this every day.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and a toast to those on his Celebration list.

So many climate issues right now between the wildfires and Sally 😞 

Stay safe everyone and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 10

Good morning Rich and fellow Dailyites.  My arm gets a bit better each day. Thank you for the fleet update.  It cost HAL a ton of money to get them to allow the K'DAM through the  Canal last spring, so I wonder...   My besy to all the Dailyires. To all dealing with Sally, be safe.

• Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for our respective citizenships, and happy Constitution Day to our southern neighbours.  Does anyone remember when Woolworth's used to sell apple dumplings at their lunch counter?  They were whole apples wrapped in pastry, baked to a golden deliciousness, served with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce on top - a treat to be enjoyed sparingly!

I've only ever eaten radishes raw, and can't imagine either roasting or sauteeing them - might have to give it a try sometime.   I got a little heavy-handed yesterday with the amount of spaghetti I cooked, so tonight we'll be having leftovers (baked) and a side salad for dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers to all on the celebration list!   Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂 🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6

Good morning.

Thank you for the Daily.

Love the quote.

I love apple dumplings too.  Local apples are starting to be on the market, so maybe I'll make some apple dumplings soon.  I usually make a large batch of dumplings and freeze them, ready to be baked for an easy dessert.

Thanks to @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists and the pictures. 

Sending prayers to everyone on the Care List and a toast to everyone celebrating.

Thanks to @cat shepard for the wine description.

Thanks to @summer slope for the Planter's Punch recipe.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful thread.

Hoping everyone is safe from flooding.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 8

Sending best wishes to all dealing with Sally.  Your rain would do so much good for the Western fires, but guess that is not to be!  

Many thanks for all who keep a lively and informative theme going on CC!  Best reading around. 

Prayers for those in need and much happiness for those who can celebrate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

You are correct about Oosterdam. I was basing my estimate on her scheduled arrival on the 27th. It won't take more than a day or two once she is in the Caribbean.

As to Koningsdam, although MT earlier showed a destination of Willemstad, it is now showing Pacific Anchorage Panama again (or maybe I just had the wrong ship up) so her status is unclear.

Do you suppose Oosterdam just waited it's turn for the canal rather than paying extra for a reservation and daylight transit?  Perhaps once she clears the canal the ETA in Curacao will be updated.  I wonder if they're still on the hook for a commentator and vendors even though there are no passengers.

Roy

• Like 1

Always served in coconut cup with ice and a straw,  Planters Punch was a specialty of the house at my  inlaws at  the Jersey Shore and even better in Virgin Gorda in the winter from key lime trees by the beach.   No grenadine, soda or mint, but extra splash of Myers and grating of nutmeg on top.  Usually at lunchtime, and often requiring a siesta!  

Maybe baked apples today and will try sauteing some radishes.  Malbec is always my favorite.  

Thank you for all the updates.   Stay safe everyone.

Prayers and cheers!

Cindy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Greetings to all!   What wonderful celebrations we have today:   citizenship, constitution and apple dumplings!   I raise a toast to them and those who bring us such a delightful meeting place every day.   

I was planning fish and roasted brussels sprouts tonight for dinner.   I can throw a few radishes in there and give them a try.   That certainly is interesting and I never would have thought to do that!   This thread has been a treasure trove!

Have a good day, everyone and stay safe from viruses, fires, hurricanes and whatever else gets thrown at us.   

• Like 9