Post Cruise Flights

Looking for some advice here... All going well our ship will arrive back in Miami at 6 am on 10th Jan, 2021, We currently have a flight booked to Detroit at 11.10 am from Fort Lauderdale....Can we request an early departure time from the ship to enable us to catch this flight? assuming a 1hr check in with airline

Thanks in Advance 

Grahaminca

Edited by grahaminca
Spelling Error
2 minutes ago, grahaminca said:

Looking for some advice here... All going well our ship will arrive back in Miami at 6 am on 10th Jan, 2021, We currently have a flight booked to Detroit at 11.10 am from Fort Lauderdale....Can we request an early departure time from the ship to enable us to catch this flight? assuming a 1hr check in with airline

A couple of things to note here ...

If you have status on Celebrity or are booked in a suite, you are more likely to be able to choose an early departure time but, it is still not guaranteed.  

Also, you will need to arrange very reliable and timely transportation to make it to FLL in time.  At least your date is on a Sunday, so that may work to your benefit.  Be sure to check how many other ships will be in port at the time ... that could make a difference.  

Whereas, we've debarked ships where everything went smoothly and we could have possibly made a flight by 11 AM, there are times when we've still been stuck on the ship at 10:30, even noon, in the past. If you were disembarking out of Port Everglades, I would risk it ... Miami, though?  Not a chance!!    That timing is just too risky if you ask me.  But, that's off the subject of what you are asking. 

If you can carry all your luggage off yourself then you can do self debarkation which puts  you among the first off the ship.  This also has a benefit of less people waiting for a taxi or Uber.  Plan on 40-45 minute drive time from POM to FLL.

Remember we don't know what the new debarkation process will be.  To keep social distancing they may more tightly control the schedule.   For example I'm not sure they will just let everyone congregate for 45 minutes waiting to self disembark.  Of course they are still going to want to get everyone off the ship ASAP so they can clean and get new people onboard.   In Jan if it does sail it will most probably be with reduced passenger load so that will help.   We just don't know at this time.   In normal times I wouldn't schedule anything prior to noon from Miami flying out of FLL.

Obviously pre-Covid, but the earliest flight I’ve been able to catch out of FLL after arriving at the port of Miami was 8:45am. We were planning on taking a later flight, but we were off the ship by 7:00am. We used Uber (which picked us up less than 60 seconds after requesting it). We made it to the FLL airport by 7:45am so we flew standby on the earlier flight. We landed back home before our originally scheduled flight’s departure time.

With all of that said, I would NEVER book a flight that early, but if your airline allows same day standby travel, it may be something to consider.

Other times, we’ve booked flights after 11:30am and we always have plenty of time (hours) to kill before our flight. 

16 minutes ago, grahaminca said:

Thanks to all for some very good advice and the social distancing aspect of disembarking from the ship. I think I will reschedule our flight into the afternoon

Thanks to All

Grahaminca

Good choice! There's no sense in spoiling a relaxing cruise worrying about whether or not you are going to miss your flight. Better to be last off the ship in a happy mood than first off the ship in a bundle of nerves! :classic_biggrin:

Personally I wouldn't book flights now for January and if I did I would purchase insurance to cover the cost. Hope that your cruise is a go, but I doubt it. I hope that I'm wrong as I have a cruise on another line booked for January 5, 2021. This line has terminated all cruises in 2020.

7 hours ago, grahaminca said:

Thanks to all for some very good advice and the social distancing aspect of disembarking from the ship. I think I will reschedule our flight into the afternoon

Thanks to All

Grahaminca

Wise choice.  In pre-Covid times you would make the flight most of the time.  These days (assuming the cruise even sails, sad to say) no one has any idea what the new procedures and timing may be.  

18 hours ago, grahaminca said:

Thanks in Advance 

Grahaminca

Are you sure you can't find a flight from Miami to Detroit to make a connection?   Assuming that you are flying Delta to Detroit, the Delta Terminal in Fort Lauderdale is small and can be very crowded on a weekend in the winter.  I suspect that your flight to Europe will be leaving later in the day so you may have a lot of time to make a connection in Detroit, so I don't see the need to rush to make a morning flight.

I hope cruising has resumed so that you have a cruise ending on January 6.  🤞

Edited by ipeeinthepool

We like to fly out after noon.  But as all have said, because of Covid, might be more difficult to leave the ship and customs early.  Also who knows what protocols the airport will have.

We have a noon flight in March out of Ft. Lauderdale- if we do sail- I am thinking about making the flight home later.  We will fly in a day before to avoid any issues.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, grahaminca said:

Thanks in Advance 

Grahaminca

It could work. It probably will.  But a lot of variables left to chance.  I'd plan for a later flight so as not to make that day stressful.  The disembarkation day is a very depressing day, I have always felt, but it goes best if there is not a lot to worry about in terms of making an early flight. On the times I've had a flight in afternoon or later (or even next ay), it is so much less negative.

- Joel