Resurgence of Virus in Spain, France and UK

Dwight1

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

Based on the dramatic resurgence in these countries I think the continued expansion of cruising in Europe will be very limited now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, this will happen until there is a vaccine that is widely available.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Based on the dramatic resurgence in these countries I think the continued expansion of cruising in Europe will be very limited now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yup. But the main cruising season in Europe is winding down anyway and doesn't really ramp back up until end of April/early May. It's possible that the 2021 Europe cruising season starting in April could be a go if they can get things under control again and have a vaccine that is already in the process of being distributed. U.S. will likely be later, summer at the earliest since our numbers are much more out of control.

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yup. But the main cruising season in Europe is winding down anyway and doesn't really ramp back up until end of April/early May. It's possible that the 2021 Europe cruising season starting in April could be a go if they can get things under control again and have a vaccine that is already in the process of being distributed. U.S. will likely be later, summer at the earliest since our numbers are much more out of control.

Actually a large number of people that have already been infected and thus have some immunity is important in getting the pandemic under control.  The big issue after a vaccine is the huge number of people who have said they will not be vaccinated.  Here immunity is what stopped dozens of pandemics in the past.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Actually a large number of people that have already been infected and thus have some immunity is important in getting the pandemic under control.  The big issue after a vaccine is the huge number of people who have said they will not be vaccinated.  Here immunity is what stopped dozens of pandemics in the past.  

The problem is with this virus is that it looks like the antibodies only last 2-3 Months according to the recent testing. 

• Like 4

On 9/19/2020 at 5:02 AM, ela123 said:

The problem is with this virus is that it looks like the antibodies only last 2-3 Months according to the recent testing. 

I can only control what I do.  I will get a vaccine and protect myself.  

• Like 15

14 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I can only control what I do.  I will get a vaccine and protect myself.  

Well, even that likely will only be at most 75% effective according to what I'm hearing health experts say. Much better than nothing obviously, but we all should be prepared for the fact that for a period of time beyond when the vaccine starts to be distributed and even after we may have been personally vaccinated we may still need to continue to wear masks, use hand sanitizer frequently and socially distance by 6ft.

• Like 1

There have been rumblings on the Royal board that there may be significant itinerary changes for some European sailings in 2021. Wonder if Celebrity is also considering changing up ships/embarkation ports ?

Here in Rotterdam we experiencing a big increase in infection in the 20-24 year old group. Would be very surprised to see cruising to resume before Christmas. 

As our DD lives in Madrid I was surprised to hear this news. When we visited her last month I was really impressed that everyone, and I mean everyone worse a mask in outdoor public places, shopping malls, and shops. Compared to Spain the UK is an absolute joke!

I asked my daughter why Madrid was suffering unduly and it seems many infected workers who live on the outskirts in cramped housing estates come into Madrid to work. 

On 9/19/2020 at 4:02 AM, ela123 said:

MBC's last a lot longer and initiate a more accelerated immune response to a repeat infection

18 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Well, even that likely will only be at most 75% effective according to what I'm hearing health experts say. Much better than nothing obviously, but we all should be prepared for the fact that for a period of time beyond when the vaccine starts to be distributed and even after we may have been personally vaccinated we may still need to continue to wear masks, use hand sanitizer frequently and socially distance by 6ft.

Let's wait and see.  The "experts" cannot really say anything of real meaning until the clinical trials are completed and the data is analyzed.  And there are multiple vaccines being tested.   Everything else is guessing at this point.  I think with an effective vaccine life will slowly (perhaps very slowly) start coming back to some semblance of normal.  Here's hoping that that is the case! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Let's wait and see.  The "experts" cannot really say anything of real meaning until the clinical trials are completed and the data is analyzed.  And there are multiple vaccines being tested.   Everything else is guessing at this point.  I think with an effective vaccine life will slowly (perhaps very slowly) start coming back to some semblance of normal.  Here's hoping that that is the case! 

They are saying that based on other vaccines for viruses like the flu. No vaccine is 100% effective. One that is 75% effective is very good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

They are saying that based on other vaccines for viruses like the flu. No vaccine is 100% effective. One that is 75% effective is very good.

I have read that 75% is very good as well.   Not sure how long masks will be required.

The longer COVID-19 is around, the more people are exposed.  Also, with a  vaccine taken by say 60% of the population, that will severely reduce the rates of infection.  Further, even without the vaccine, I have read that a substantial portion of the population, mostly younger people, have near immunity.

I would expect most seniors and at risk persons with underlying conditions would get the vaccine.  At some point mandating masks would be overkill.

Although Influenza and SARS-CoV-2 are RNA-based respiratory viruses, the vaccine approaches are not necessarily the same and it is not generally a given that the efficacy of a SARS vaccine will be similar to an Influenza vaccine.  Flu has two major types and then subtypes which change annually and even the circulating virus later in the season may not be quite the same as what you were vaccinated against in the typical quadrivalent vaccine.  We do not know yet how SARS-CoV-2 vaccines will play out.  So it is tempting to compare to flu vaccines but not accurate at this point.

• Like 3

RoyalBoy,

We are on the July 30th Reflection cruise out of Amsterdam! Is this the one you’re on? On the Roll Call we have an active group. Yesterday we found out there is a conference onboard of Infectious disease Doctors, PA, Nurses & other professionals in the field.

Her in the U.S. Rapid Testing is now being produced in large numbers! This test gets results in 15 minutes!

Yes, currently here in U.S. there is a high infection rate & spikes are happening all over! Even in N.Y. we are seeing spikes due to certain religious groups refusing to wear masks & social distance! Also, College Students blowing off steam at parties doing same!

Hope we don’t go in to another lockdown again because we can forget about cruising & many other things we take for granted!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LJJQ said:

RoyalBoy,

We are on the July 30th Reflection cruise out of Amsterdam! Is this the one you’re on? On the Roll Call we have an active group. Yesterday we found out there is a conference onboard of Infectious disease Doctors, PA, Nurses & other professionals in the field.

Her in the U.S. Rapid Testing is now being produced in large numbers! This test gets results in 15 minutes!

Yes, currently here in U.S. there is a high infection rate & spikes are happening all over! Even in N.Y. we are seeing spikes due to certain religious groups refusing to wear masks & social distance! Also, College Students blowing off steam at parties doing same!

Hope we don’t go in to another lockdown again because we can forget about cruising & many other things we take for granted!

Yes that is the cruise we are on. I am also on the roll call. All the reservations we have made for airline and hotels are fully refundable, so will have to wait till final payment in May to make those decisions. I hope a vaccine is available, but the only person I will trust with taking that is my personal doctor’s approval. Hate this, we had to cancelled a B2B out of Rome in October this year, and made our May 2021 Hawaii to May 2022. 

Would really like to cruise but will not do it until I don't have to wear a mask.  If it's a year, two years, so be it.  It would not be that enjoyable, especially for the premium prices they are charging.  

I do wear a mask whenever in public places so it's not that I am against them.  Just wouldn't be a whole lot of fun.  I'll wait.  In the meantime we are heading to the GA mountains.  Booked a nice little cabin for a couple of weeks.  

On 9/23/2020 at 8:20 AM, TeeRick said:

Although Influenza and SARS-CoV-2 are RNA-based respiratory viruses, the vaccine approaches are not necessarily the same and it is not generally a given that the efficacy of a SARS vaccine will be similar to an Influenza vaccine.  Flu has two major types and then subtypes which change annually and even the circulating virus later in the season may not be quite the same as what you were vaccinated against in the typical quadrivalent vaccine.  We do not know yet how SARS-CoV-2 vaccines will play out.  So it is tempting to compare to flu vaccines but not accurate at this point.

Well, nothing is "accurate" in discussion about how the vaccine will operate until it's ready obviously. If "accuracy" is required to discuss the vaccine then none of should be saying anything about it until it's ready.

7 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Well, nothing is "accurate" in discussion about how the vaccine will operate until it's ready obviously. If "accuracy" is required to discuss the vaccine then none of should be saying anything about it until it's ready.

WM3, You are right and sorry for my poor choice of the word accurate.  Just trying to discuss some of the issues comparing Influenza virus to Sars-CoV-2 virus. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 11:43 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

There will be a minority that won't take the vaccine, but I suspect that with a widely available vaccine that cruise lines, tour companies and perhaps even airlines may require vaccines.

18 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

There will be a minority that won't take the vaccine, but I suspect that with a widely available vaccine that cruise lines, tour companies and perhaps even airlines may require vaccines.

US has 7M cases but estimated 35M with antibodies.  Most younger people don't even go to a doctor.

Agree as to requirements.  Universities, hospitals and doctors, any International travel and many businesses are likely to require a vaccination.  We have a huge call center that will have employees return to the center when a vaccine is available and will require a vaccination and will our local University.  Got to guess proof of vaccination to visit Canada - 13M+ in 2019.

• Like 1