Jump to content

HAL post cruise hotels


seniorladycruiser
 Share

Recommended Posts

It is much cheaper to book on your own.  HAL usually has cheap air and in many locations the shore excursions are competitive but I have never seen a good hotel deal with HAL.  I was looking at Boston the other day and I can book the Copley for much cheaper than HAL.   I have looked at the Amsterdam hotels (I was supposed to sail there this past summer).  It is a good hotel with good location but again, you can get it cheaper on your own.  If you prefer to use HAL it is very easy to go to the website, you will need your booking number and book the hotel yourself.  I use a TA but do book my post and pre travel directly

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll be in Amsterdam next August, and the Movenpick, HAL's hotel of choice, is $1275 for the nights, double occupancy. There are many others there for less than half. If you're a member of a certain triple-letter auto club, check out their rates. 

Although your avatar doesn't agree with your nickname 🙂 , be sure to check that the hotels have elevators and other amenities (you can filter for this at the auto club site). Some hotels don't mention elevators or some other amenities like safes in the rooms that worth having. Happy travels!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I join with the others in recommending that you select your own hotel.

 

If Movenpick is the price it was with HAL last time we were in Amsterdam, there are a lot more hotels more centrally located better priced than what HAL offers.

 

My favourite is the Banks Mansion.  Basically an all inclusive hotel with some very nice touches in the evenings and an excellent staff that is very helpful.  Assuming you like walking, we could walk to the Red Light District, Ann Frank house and the museum district.  

 

Wherever you stay, enjoy Amsterdam.  It’s a lovely city.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I agree with the previous posters that one may be able to book the same hotel that is part of a pre- or post-cruise package for less than what HAL charges, there are advantages to having such a package depending upon what one's needs/requirements are.  

 

If one is not familiar with the city where the hotel is located, having transfers included is helpful.  Every HAL hotel will have a hostess/host available during certain hours to assist HAL guests and that can be quite helpful.  

 

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

 

Since your cruise ends in Amsterdam and the Movenpick is the post-cruise hotel, I can't imagine what the "transfer" would be.  The hotel is an easy walk down the street from where the ships dock.  (The Movenpick, I patronized.  Nice hotel; good service.  Next, if ever, visit to Amsterdam, I would choose another.)  

 

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wherever you stay, enjoy Amsterdam.  It’s a lovely city.  

 

kazu has it right!  A great city, just watch out for the trams and the bicycles and the occasional small car driving along a sidewalk.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@seniorladycruiser, I went to Amsterdam by myself in 2018 prior to a Rhine river cruise.  Very easy city to navigate whether on foot or using public transit.  I agree with the advice to pick a hotel (there are hundreds in and around the central area) and just take a taxi to the hotel post-cruise.  Like @Mary229, my TA helps with me with hotels and only books me into places she or one of her co-workers has stayed at.  @kwb101, I'm not clear from your post how many nights the $1,275 covers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think for those who need the "handholding" that goes along with a cruise line package...the outrageous cost of the packages is justified.  But otherwise, there is much to say for making your own arrangements, especially in a city such as Amsterdam where there are many good options, excellent transportation, and no language barrier.   Booking your own hotel can not only save you a lot of money (that would depend on your choice) but also allows you to choose your own location and quality of facility.    One other thing.  If your cruise is leaving from the Amsterdam cruise terminal (located in the city) it is very easy to grab a taxi to or from any Amsterdam hotel to or from the cruise port.  In fact, a taxi will be cheaper then the pricing used by the cruise lines and it lets you head to the port on your own schedule without the waiting around involved with most group transfers.

 

I would just suggest that those who are making their own arrangements make sure to book with fully refundable rates.  

 

 

Hank

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roz said:

@kwb101, I'm not clear from your post how many nights the $1,275 covers. 

My apologies, Roz: it was for 3 nights, which seems to be the maximum number HAL has available.

We stayed at HAL's preferred hotel, Sofitel, in Buenos Aires, and the price seemed reasonable (at least for us Californians), and included a splendid breakfast and HAL representative on site. We booked two enjoyable excursions after we arrived.

We'll be booking the Amsterdam hotel on our own, not only for a better price, but also because we want to stay more than three nights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

Where do the ocean cruise ships dock in Amsterdam?  The river cruise ships dock east of Centraal Station.

 

 

The Cruise Passenger Terminal is located a little bit further east than the river boat docks.  Still easily walkable to/from Amsterdam Centraal.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, @d9704011.  I didn't see any ocean cruise ships when I was in Amsterdam, but I was river cruising late in the season which is probably the reason.  

 

I'm a Hilton Honors member and checked out the Doubletree across from Centraal Station for the next time I'm there, which hopefully is going to be next December.  I want to do a 3-day pre-cruise stay, and I have enough points to cover that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, kazu said:

I join with the others in recommending that you select your own hotel.

 

If Movenpick is the price it was with HAL last time we were in Amsterdam, there are a lot more hotels more centrally located better priced than what HAL offers.

 

My favourite is the Banks Mansion.  Basically an all inclusive hotel with some very nice touches in the evenings and an excellent staff that is very helpful.  Assuming you like walking, we could walk to the Red Light District, Ann Frank house and the museum district.  

 

Wherever you stay, enjoy Amsterdam.  It’s a lovely city.  

you can take it to the Banks !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Roz said:

Thank you, @d9704011.  I didn't see any ocean cruise ships when I was in Amsterdam, but I was river cruising late in the season which is probably the reason.  

 

I'm a Hilton Honors member and checked out the Doubletree across from Centraal Station for the next time I'm there, which hopefully is going to be next December.  I want to do a 3-day pre-cruise stay, and I have enough points to cover that.  

I wish I had enough points to stay at a Hilton in Amsterdam!!!  We want to go back for a few days (not related to any cruising) and the prices can be a bit eye-popping.  My strategy will be to hold my nose, bite my tongue and hand over the plastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

The Cruise Passenger Terminal is located a little bit further east than the river boat docks.  Still easily walkable to/from Amsterdam Centraal.

 

I recall seeing multiple river cruise boats lined up along thee River soon after the Eurodam sailed from the Cruise Terminal.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My cruise isn't until next December, but I just did a mock booking for this coming December for 3 nights in the first week - check-in on Friday; checkout on Monday.   35,000 pts. per night for 1 person in a queen bed.  The same room with the Hilton Honors discount rate is $132.  AARP or AAA are $149.  

 

Obviously more expensive if booking during the spring or summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Roz said:

My cruise isn't until next December, but I just did a mock booking for this coming December for 3 nights in the first week - check-in on Friday; checkout on Monday.   35,000 pts. per night for 1 person in a queen bed.  The same room with the Hilton Honors discount rate is $132.  AARP or AAA are $149.  

 

Obviously more expensive if booking during the spring or summer.

Pretty reasonable.  I think the prices will be about double that next September.  We’ll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Pretty reasonable.  I think the prices will be about double that next September.  We’ll see.

 

If travel opens up next year and there's a spike in demand, who knows which way hotel prices will trend.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roz said:

AARP or AAA are $149.  

 

A member of both of these organizations and I have found the "discounts" available rarely are as generous as those offered by the hotel Brand's Loyalty Program.  Particularly, if there are Senior Rates available for the dates of one's stay.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

 

A member of both of these organizations and I have found the "discounts" available rarely are as generous as those offered by the hotel Brand's Loyalty Program.  Particularly, if there are Senior Rates available for the dates of one's stay.  

 

As I indicated in my post, the lowest rate was the Hilton Honors discount.  I just mentioned the AAA and AARP rates as a frame of reference or for those that aren't HH members and don't want to sign up.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, kazu said:

I join with the others in recommending that you select your own hotel.

 

If Movenpick is the price it was with HAL last time we were in Amsterdam, there are a lot more hotels more centrally located better priced than what HAL offers.

 

My favourite is the Banks Mansion.  Basically an all inclusive hotel with some very nice touches in the evenings and an excellent staff that is very helpful.  Assuming you like walking, we could walk to the Red Light District, Ann Frank house and the museum district.  

 

Wherever you stay, enjoy Amsterdam.  It’s a lovely city.  

@kazu you caught my interest with your ‘recommendation’ of Banks Mansion so I went ahead and booked four nights in Amsterdam for next September.  I doubt you’ll get a kickback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

@kazu you caught my interest with your ‘recommendation’ of Banks Mansion so I went ahead and booked four nights in Amsterdam for next September.  I doubt you’ll get a kickback.

 

LOL on the kick back 🙂. Nope, there is none.

We were really pleased with our stay there.  So were our friends and other CC friends that I have known who stayed there after.

Don’t miss the evening social with the lovely cheese tray, munchies, wine, etc.  They list what the munchies are every night.  The bar is open all the time of course.  Water, juice, pop, whatever you want is there for the taking in the “library”.

 

I hope you enjoy it.  We sure did and were sorry to leave.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

@kazu, I'm going back to Amsterdam (hopefully!) next December for a river cruise.  My plan is to use my Hilton Honors points to book the Doubletree Centraal Station for 3 nights pre-cruise.  I checked it out when I was there two years ago.  Right across from Centraal Station and within walking distance of the river cruise dock.  

 

Out of curiosity I looked at the Banks Mansion website.  Wow!  What a beautiful hotel, and reasonably priced when you take into account all the inclusions.  Now I'm tempted to book it, but weighing it against "free" at the Doubletree.  The cost of the Banks Mansion could go a good ways towards paying my airfare.  

 

I obviously don't have to make a decision right now, but it's very tempting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roz said:

@kazu, I'm going back to Amsterdam (hopefully!) next December for a river cruise.  My plan is to use my Hilton Honors points to book the Doubletree Centraal Station for 3 nights pre-cruise.  I checked it out when I was there two years ago.  Right across from Centraal Station and within walking distance of the river cruise dock.  

 

Out of curiosity I looked at the Banks Mansion website.  Wow!  What a beautiful hotel, and reasonably priced when you take into account all the inclusions.  Now I'm tempted to book it, but weighing it against "free" at the Doubletree.  The cost of the Banks Mansion could go a good ways towards paying my airfare.  

 

I obviously don't have to make a decision right now, but it's very tempting.

You’ll have to do your math, Roz for sure.

 

If you can get “free” nights, that’s a nice thing.

I did have HIlton points at the time but with the reviews I saw on the Banks, I decided I would use them for another time and booked it.  We all had a great time there.  If I ever return to Amsterdam, we’ll definitely stay there again.

 

Very helpful staff, great little escalator going up the staircase entrance for your suitcases.  Lovely evening drinks and munchies and just a lovely all inclusive hotel with a great location.  

Since we were there and reported in my LIVE thread, a few CC people emailed me and all booked there.  They all enjoyed it very much.

And no, there’s no kickback.  I just call it as I see it.  

I’m a tad finicky on my hotels and prefer boutique style ones with personalized service when I can find them. 😉.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...