Jump to content

Alaska Backup Booking Question


Recommended Posts

I am very new to cruising and COVID has put me into a strange position. I am hoping some of you more experienced cruisers can give me some advice.

 

I am currently booked for the July 17th 14 day cruise from LA to Alaska on the Sun. It is my wife and I's 25th wedding anniversary and we have always dreamed about going to Alaska.

 

As we know, the Sun has been sold and my booking may be in jeopardy. I prefer to stay in my home port of LA so I am hoping that they assign another ship and I wont have anything to worry about. If it is outright canclled, I want to be prepared. I spoke with my PVP about this. He denied the sale and dont believe anything until I hear from Princess. I may be born again but I wasnt born yesterday.

 

He did advise me I could book a backup cruise just in case. I found the Grand Princess out of Vancouver for 14 days and it seems like a good alternative. I dont want to wait for Princess to decide to tell us about SUn being sold and find out the Vancouver cruise is sold out or they only have crumby cabins left. I would like to book a backup booking now and cancel if need be.

 

Does this sound like an good alternative? My problem is the $800 deposit on a cruise I may not take. Ya, it is refundable but we all know about how fast cruise lines have been on refunds. If it was $200, I would be fine, but $800 is a while different game. 

 

Does anyone have any other ideas that can make sure my wife and I's 25th anniverary cruise happens? Is there an annual sale coming up I should wait for? 

 

Please no "COVD19, not gonna happen" responses. We all know the situation of that and I know it may not happen because of that. I am looking for advice on how to handle this siutation.

 

Thanks... Bubba

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MCC retired said:

Some TA's have frequent weekly Princess "Cruise Night" Sales .

They include only a $100p/p Deposit , the Good coupon book  , and perhaps some amenities like OBC.

 

 

let me be the first to congratulate you on your 5,000th post !! 🍷

 

how do 'some TA's' do with refaring a price drop after final payment ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@bubbapuck there's a probable reason your PVP isn't confirming that you are not on a cruise to Alaska. You might be 'reassigned' to the Crown in the same room, room category, or upgraded with 15 OBC to accept with the bookings on the Crown frozen (ie: itinerary not announced) until passengers shifted. Alternatively you could be offered up to 200 OBC to pick another Alaska cruise if you don’t get reassigned automatically or find that acceptable. Rest assured that there WILL be a LA / Alaska cruise

 

Oh BTW welcome to musical ships. 🎵🎵🎶. You kinda won the unofficial lottery

 

 

Forgot to answer re: refund delays. Took 2 weeks the last 2 times.  If it was me: I'd wait to see what they offered. Then if it wasn't enough OBC (100-200), I'd ask my PVP if she could sweeten it (I say bc I book so many, you'd have to say something like "I'm looking for a new line to call home". Got me another 60 OBC)

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like a good alternative. I did the same for a New Years cruise.  I'm unsure the Discovery will be ready in time, so I also booked the Sky.  I realize it is more money tied up, but I really want the New Years cruise to happen.

Early congrats on the anniversary.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, voljeep said:

let me be the first to congratulate you on your 5,000th post !! 🍷

 

how do 'some TA's' do with refaring a price drop after final payment ?

Thank you . I didn’t realize it ?

 

If Princess even allowed a refare after final , a Good TA would probably do it but 

may take back some of their OBC/Discount from comm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Thank you . I didn’t realize it ?

 

If Princess even allowed a refare after final , a Good TA would probably do it but 

may take back some of their OBC/Discount from comm. 

I book our short little 3-7 day cruises directly with Princess ... We've re-fared multiple times even on the same cruise after final payment has been made ...

 

it happens, Princess allows it, but ... there's that 'but' again ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 14 night cruise out of Vancouver is going to see more of Alaska than you would out of LA. You may duplicate ports but there is so much to do in ports anyway so no worries there.

 

Find a good TA. She can probably get your deposit down to $100 per cruise. They have specific times when they run $100 deposit specials and can tell you when to book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bubbapuck,more to relax and cruise   

 

Hopefuly we will be with you. Our 35th anniversary is 2 days after your anniversary.This will be our 4th time to Alaska, so we are going than the ports. We will be on for three cruises July 3 thru August 14.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, candycaramel said:

There are many San Francisco to Alaska round trip cruises on the books.

You could drive up to San Francisco or take a short flight.

We really want a 14 day cruise. Unfortunately the San Fran is only 10 days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@bubbapuck Rest assured that there WILL be a LA / Alaska cruise

 

Oh BTW welcome to musical ships. 🎵🎵🎶. You kinda won the unofficial lottery

 

Forgot to answer re: refund delays. Took 2 weeks the last 2 times.  If it was me: I'd wait to see what they offered. Then if it wasn't enough OBC (100-200), I'd ask my PVP if she could sweeten it (I say bc I book so many, you'd have to say something like "I'm looking for a new line to call home". Got me another 60 OBC)


You seem very optimistic they will keep the LA itinerary and replace with a new boat. I wish I was as optimistic. With only 4 cruises out of LA, it is an easy one to drop. I am a newb to this though so who knows. 
 

as far as waiting, I just don’t want to wait and end up getting shut out or Stuck on a cabin we don’t want. I am IDing options and seeing the cabins I want. That way I can check every few days to see if they are selling. I am just concerned that with ships sailing at 50%, they may gente booked up quicker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Bubbapuck,more to relax and cruise   

 

Hopefuly we will be with you. Our 35th anniversary is 2 days after your anniversary.This will be our 4th time to Alaska, so we are going than the ports. We will be on for three cruises July 3 thru August 14.


wow that is awesome. That’s a great time but yer gonna have 4 times the headaches. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@bubbapuck there's a probable reason your PVP isn't confirming that you are not on a cruise to Alaska. You might be 'reassigned' to the Crown in the same room, room category, or upgraded with 15 OBC to accept with the bookings on the Crown frozen (ie: itinerary not announced) until passengers shifted. Alternatively you could be offered up to 200 OBC to pick another Alaska cruise if you don’t get reassigned automatically or find that acceptable. Rest assured that there WILL be a LA / Alaska cruise

 

Oh BTW welcome to musical ships. 🎵🎵🎶. You kinda won the unofficial lottery

 

 

Forgot to answer re: refund delays. Took 2 weeks the last 2 times.  If it was me: I'd wait to see what they offered. Then if it wasn't enough OBC (100-200), I'd ask my PVP if she could sweeten it (I say bc I book so many, you'd have to say something like "I'm looking for a new line to call home". Got me another 60 OBC)

The crown is an interesting option. It seems to be silent from May until October. I would prefer an LA cruise so hopefully this happens. I just think with only 4 cruises out of LA and so many ships being cut back, they won’t worry about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't do anything, let Princess cancel and offer you some compensation you won't get if you cancel. If you're really that interested in Alaska I suggest a cruisetour where you'll actually see more then port stops with lots of shopping and tourists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

I wouldn't do anything, let Princess cancel and offer you some compensation you won't get if you cancel. If you're really that interested in Alaska I suggest a cruisetour where you'll actually see more then port stops with lots of shopping and tourists.

I don’t plan to do anything to my existing cruise. I am hoping a new ship will be assigned. I just want to have a fall back plan if princess dumps the itinerary. 
 

Unfortunately, the cruise tours are out of the budget. One day maybe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

I don’t plan to do anything to my existing cruise. I am hoping a new ship will be assigned. I just want to have a fall back plan if princess dumps the itinerary. 
 

Unfortunately, the cruise tours are out of the budget. One day maybe. 

If you're really unsure, ask your PVP to make your deposit due in 5-6 weeks so it will be after the dust settles. Mary will.

 

And yes, not my 1st time to the rodeo (31 completed, 6 canceled, 4 booked / 3 with $100 deposits / 1 with deposit due by October 15th)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 14 day "Voyage of the Glaciers" round trip Vancouver is one of the best Alaska itineraries.  As noted you visit some places twice - but Glacier Bay twice is extraordinary.  Plus in Whittier, you can book an excursion that visits more glaciers than you can count in a 100 passenger tour boat, great opportunity to get closer to the glaciers.

 

All the best on your various anniversaries!

 

PS: I heard it here on CC: 16. Princess Cruises' Sun Princess sold to Japan's Peaceboat organization as Pacific World

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ferd Berle, Sapphire Princess DOES have an Alfredo's on deck 5, believe it was added a long time ago, was just on her this past February as our 21 day sailing was cut short because of port closures. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

 

In looking at the schedule - I'd rather do a b2b booking on the Sapphire out of Vancouver 7/7 up and 7/14 back - same size ship and more amenities (except no Alfredo's).

It does have Alfredos. Sapphire is a great ship!

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

I am very new to cruising and COVID has put me into a strange position. I am hoping some of you more experienced cruisers can give me some advice.

 

I am currently booked for the July 17th 14 day cruise from LA to Alaska on the Sun. It is my wife and I's 25th wedding anniversary and we have always dreamed about going to Alaska.

 

As we know, the Sun has been sold and my booking may be in jeopardy. I prefer to stay in my home port of LA so I am hoping that they assign another ship and I wont have anything to worry about. If it is outright canclled, I want to be prepared. I spoke with my PVP about this. He denied the sale and dont believe anything until I hear from Princess. I may be born again but I wasnt born yesterday.

 

He did advise me I could book a backup cruise just in case. I found the Grand Princess out of Vancouver for 14 days and it seems like a good alternative. I dont want to wait for Princess to decide to tell us about SUn being sold and find out the Vancouver cruise is sold out or they only have crumby cabins left. I would like to book a backup booking now and cancel if need be.

 

Does this sound like an good alternative? My problem is the $800 deposit on a cruise I may not take. Ya, it is refundable but we all know about how fast cruise lines have been on refunds. If it was $200, I would be fine, but $800 is a while different game. 

 

Does anyone have any other ideas that can make sure my wife and I's 25th anniverary cruise happens? Is there an annual sale coming up I should wait for? 

 

Please no "COVD19, not gonna happen" responses. We all know the situation of that and I know it may not happen because of that. I am looking for advice on how to handle this siutation.

 

Thanks... Bubba

Bubba...A lot of good discussion. Please let us know what you decide. 
 

Tom😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, bubbapuck said:

I am very new to cruising and COVID has put me into a strange position. I am hoping some of you more experienced cruisers can give me some advice.

 

I am currently booked for the July 17th 14 day cruise from LA to Alaska on the Sun. It is my wife and I's 25th wedding anniversary and we have always dreamed about going to Alaska.

 

As we know, the Sun has been sold and my booking may be in jeopardy. I prefer to stay in my home port of LA so I am hoping that they assign another ship and I wont have anything to worry about. If it is outright canclled, I want to be prepared. I spoke with my PVP about this. He denied the sale and dont believe anything until I hear from Princess. I may be born again but I wasnt born yesterday.

 

He did advise me I could book a backup cruise just in case. I found the Grand Princess out of Vancouver for 14 days and it seems like a good alternative. I dont want to wait for Princess to decide to tell us about SUn being sold and find out the Vancouver cruise is sold out or they only have crumby cabins left. I would like to book a backup booking now and cancel if need be.

 

Does this sound like an good alternative? My problem is the $800 deposit on a cruise I may not take. Ya, it is refundable but we all know about how fast cruise lines have been on refunds. If it was $200, I would be fine, but $800 is a while different game. 

 

Does anyone have any other ideas that can make sure my wife and I's 25th anniverary cruise happens? Is there an annual sale coming up I should wait for? 

 

Please no "COVD19, not gonna happen" responses. We all know the situation of that and I know it may not happen because of that. I am looking for advice on how to handle this siutation.

 

Thanks... Bubba

Hi Bubba

Can the PVP just move you to the Grand and transfer the deposit.  Maybe they can offer you some OBC ahead of time as Sun is sold.  Congrats on your upcoming 25th Anniversary.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...