Maybe this will be the week for some News

molly361

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

In regard to "long lasting problems younger people are having" - how many?  

Hard to quantify.  My transplant colleagues say that lung transplant waiting list has exploded as a result of these patients.  In NY I understand there are over 100 people awaiting transplant.  It will easily be 6 another six months before we could quantify. 

For some reason people think there will be a magical wand (in this case a vaccine) and several thousand people will be on a cruise ship again. On top of that, they think it will be soon.  

3 hours ago, BND said:

But, did HIV/AIDS and Norovirus vaccines ever make it to trials?   If so, trials that were going well?   As well as a lot of people don't seem to understand they're not looking for a cure.  They're looking to get the immune response that will greatly reduce the symptoms so it's more like a common cold.

Yes they both have made it to trials which failed.  Unfortunately people think if you throw billions of dollars (in a politically charged environment) at something, it will magically work. Moderna (presently leading the pack) has never been successful in bringing a vaccine to market.  Vaccines are tough, real tough.  This virus is way different than that of a common cold.  We do not even know at this point if immunity occurs, how long nor if it would prevent another occurrence.  I think we need to let the scientists do their jobs and try to stay a safe as we can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, howiefrommd said:

Hard to quantify.  My transplant colleagues say that lung transplant waiting list has exploded as a result of these patients.  In NY I understand there are over 100 people awaiting transplant.  It will easily be 6 another six months before we could quantify. 

For some reason people think there will be a magical wand (in this case a vaccine) and several thousand people will be on a cruise ship again. On top of that, they think it will be soon.  

My biggest question throughout this whole thing is how come some people get it and never know they have it?!

1 minute ago, TheMastodon said:

Depending what your definition of mild is - it is mild on most folks.  

Mild enough that you don't know you had it.

Laura got sick on the Allure TA. They did a std flu test, it was negative, then gave her antibiotics and Nyquil. She was better in around 3 days

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Mild enough that you don't know you had it.

Laura got sick on the Allure TA. They did a std flu test, it was negative, then gave her antibiotics and Nyquil. She was better in around 3 days

Well it could have been anything!  Unless she got a “positive” Covid test then who knows what it was.  Also - antibiotics don’t help this one.

16 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

My biggest question throughout this whole thing is how come some people get it and never know they have it?!

Many (and in some literature most) people are said to be asymptomatic.  So even though they have no symptoms they still are able to spread the virus.  Now if I had an answer for the question, we would all be in a better place.  One of my neighbors owns a bunch of funeral homes.  I just had a discussion with him and he said that he has just had a few (under 10) funerals of people under 50 with no co-morbities. He did say he averaged 30 to 40 funerals a week and since March his business has picked up 30 percent.  

5 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Many (and in some literature most) people are said to be asymptomatic.  So even though they have no symptoms they still are able to spread the virus.  Now if I had an answer for the question, we would all be in a better place.  One of my neighbors owns a bunch of funeral homes.  I just had a discussion with him and he said that he has just had a few (under 10) funerals of people under 50 with no co-morbities. He did say he averaged 30 to 40 funerals a week and since March his business has picked up 30 percent.  

Quite the double edge sword isn’t it.  Great that most don’t show symptoms and are fine, but really difficult because they can spread to others!  One day they will find out why.

Some businesses picked up substantially the past few months.  When people die, they all go to the same sort of place.  Odd business to be in isn’t it?  His business is booming because of a pandemic - kind of a strange position to be in.  

17 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Well it could have been anything!  Unless she got a “positive” Covid test then who knows what it was.  Also - antibiotics don’t help this one.

Allure didn't have Covid tests on March 1 when we left PE😉

8 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Quite the double edge sword isn’t it.  Great that most don’t show symptoms and are fine, but really difficult because they can spread to others!  One day they will find out why.

Some businesses picked up substantially the past few months.  When people die, they all go to the same sort of place.  Odd business to be in isn’t it?  His business is booming because of a pandemic - kind of a strange position to be in.  

Funny you should say that. I just told him tonight with my luck I would buy a funeral home and people would stop dying.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Ok, whatever. Mild is mild. Deal with it however you see fit 

52 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Ok, whatever. Mild is mild. Deal with it however you see fit 

Not what journalists out there like to report about is it!  Never once heard them say a thing about mild cases.  Everyone I know either had a runny nose, loss of taste or a bad headache.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Funny you should say that. I just told him tonight with my luck I would buy a funeral home and people would stop dying.  

That or become an accountant.  Because we all know there are only two guarantees in life - death and taxes.   Buy a funeral home and become an accountant !  Enjoy the suite life 

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Actually azithromycin has been a major player in many of the treatment regimens tried throughout the pandemic 

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Actually azithromycin has been a major player in many of the treatment regimens tried throughout the pandemic 

Ah I stand corrected.  All I ever hear about is ventilators, mass graves, ventilator shortages,  hot spots, mass spreaders and drugs that work but don’t work.  Branch Covidians will never let this virus die.  

3 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Ah I stand corrected.  All I ever hear about is ventilators, mass graves, ventilator shortages,  hot spots, mass spreaders and drugs that work but don’t work.  Branch Covidians will never let this virus die.  

The ventilators were more deadly than the virus