Norfolk, VA ~ Suggestions on Hotels

Are you flying into Norfolk itself? That's my assumption.

Norfolk seems small, but the whole Hampton Roads area can have some extremely congested roads. The airport is south of the tunnel (same side as the cruise port), so that's a plus. Norfolk can also be "interesting" as neighborhoods change quickly.  There's a full service Marriott and Hilton near the downtown/MacArthur Square area, and at least pre-COVID, there were dining options across Waterside, and it looks like there are some places along the streets away from the river as well. There are also some second tier hotels (Courtyard/Residence Inn) options in the area.

I'd probably start there. Norfolk is a Navy town and a lot of it has a Navy/Industrial feel. You won't deal with the tunnel and bridge, but it's pretty interesting popping up from Portsmouth and seeing the Atlantic Fleet in port...

8 hours ago, markeb said:

Are you flying into Norfolk itself? That's my assumption.

Norfolk seems small, but the whole Hampton Roads area can have some extremely congested roads. The airport is south of the tunnel (same side as the cruise port), so that's a plus. Norfolk can also be "interesting" as neighborhoods change quickly.  There's a full service Marriott and Hilton near the downtown/MacArthur Square area, and at least pre-COVID, there were dining options across Waterside, and it looks like there are some places along the streets away from the river as well. There are also some second tier hotels (Courtyard/Residence Inn) options in the area.

I'd probably start there. Norfolk is a Navy town and a lot of it has a Navy/Industrial feel. You won't deal with the tunnel and bridge, but it's pretty interesting popping up from Portsmouth and seeing the Atlantic Fleet in port...

markeb

Thank-you so much, info is very helpful!  Yes, we will be flying into Norfolk.  With have never been there, I was looking around & knew it was a Navy town.  But just wasn't sure exactly where to look for a hotel.  Hoping to spend a couple days after the cruise & see some of the area.  Thanks again!

23 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Suggest looking at TripAdvisor to narrow your choice.

23 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Suggest looking at TripAdvisor to narrow your choice.

I did look @ TripAdvisor, but wasn't sure about area to stay in ~ thank you though

Not sure when you're looking to be in the the Norfolk area. Bizarrely, I've mostly been to Norfolk for business, and haven't done much in Norfolk itself. There is the MacArthur Memorial in town, and the USS Wisconsin. I think a lot of visitors to the area either head to Virginia Beach (and hour or so depending on traffic) or Williamsburg (about the same). Do some research for things that interest you, and recognize that at the right (or wrong) time of day or time of year, traffic can add a lot of time to what you're planning. Going to Williamsburg requires passing through the tunnel both ways and keeping an eye on traffic if you have deadlines, but that also allows you to visit Jamestown and Yorktown as well as Colonial Williamsburg. It really depends on your time and interests.