Required ship excursions if getting off the ship

maxxboy

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I hope that thing about a preposition at the end of a sentence goes away just like the "who" vs "whom" thing.

In fact, I really never knew who whom was about.   Haha  

Who is on first. I have no idea what position whom plays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I can only speak form an Australian perspective but few people choose to move outback. They are usually born there from many generations and transitioning to metro living is quite an expensive endeavour with most folks having their money tied up in farms which in Australia can be difficult to sell. I guess in America it must be more common for people to leave the city for a tree change but I still think it is unrealistic to expect people to be prepared for every eventuality and this idea some posters seem to have that we shouldn't look out for vulnerable folks and that we should be able to do whatever we want just seems a little selfish to me but then again I am from a background that emphasises looking after the elderly and social responsibility so maybe it is simply a clash of cultures for me to read some of these perspectives. Anyway it is not like Cruise Critic is going to solve the worlds problems maybe we should get back to talking about cake😜.

I do think it’s a cultural issue. Most people who live in rural areas do not own farms and could move if they wanted to. And there has been a trend of people living in/near cities spreading out to more rural areas to get more land, privacy, and cheaper homes. We did this to a lesser extend ourselves, we are till close to a major city (since we work there) but live in an area that used to be all rural but over the last 50 years has turned suburban as developers bought up big tracts of the farm land to build houses on. I can’t say that no one is a generational farm that they feel like they can’t leave. But I do have a close friend who has a farm in her family, and none of them have lived there since her grandmother’s generation. 

48 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Must I now re-read Hemingway to determine whether it is "thee" or "whom"? 

I don't know that Hemingway ever used that part of the quote.  The original quote is John Donne, and it is thee.  

The title is from a sermon by John Donne containing the famous words "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main…. Any man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. Any therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Nope to Hemingway. Just playing on John Donne’s “No Man Is an Island”

And the poem is printed on the inside cover of the early editions of For Whom the Bell Tolls too.   

We owned one of them and I memorized this as a kid.

That must be why sometimes people think Hemingway wrote the poem.

Edited by JRG

14 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Interesting - I didn't know that.

Neither did I!  

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Excellent words for all of us to remember in these times.

Yes.  Maybe our 21st Century society needs the words of wisdom in the literature of the past to help us make sense of the absurdity that seems to exist in the present.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have to ask,who is the person in your Avatar ?

It is a portrait in mosaic from Zeugma, Turkey -- called the gypsy girl by some, although it is more likely a maenad (a female worshipper of the god of wine and revelry, Bacchus or Dionysus).

This mosaic is the symbol of the museum. One reason I chose it is that it symbolizes the destruction of ancient sites going on worldwide. The ancient city, founded by one of the generals of Alexander the Great, was going to be flooded by a proposed dam in modern Turkey. In an emergency rescue/salvage effort, the most valuable and beautiful mosaics were saved and can now be seen in what is one of the largest mosaic museums in the world. However, there was so much more that could have been preserved and learned from the ruins of the town (now flooded).

https://www.luxurytravelmagazine.com/news-articles/museum-of-roman-mosaics-to-open-in-turkey

The gypsy girl is also a symbol of the issue of repatriation. Portions of the mosaic of which she was part were smuggled out of Turkey in the 1960s and were only returned recently when it was proved that they came from this particular mosaic. (They were sold by an unscrupulous dealer to an American university for their collections.)

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In an emergency rescue/salvage effort, the most valuable and beautiful mosaics were saved and can now be seen in what is one of the largest mosaic museums in the world.

At Juukan Gorge some 7000 artifacts were retrieved but like the careless blowing up of perhaps the most important archaeological site of human history they have been haphazardly kept in shipping containers😱. We're talking about 46000 year old locks of hair thrown into a shipping container. As the inquiry goes on it just gets worst. You would think in a developed nation in the 21st century we would know better by now😔

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It is a portrait in mosaic from Zeugma, Turkey -- called the gypsy girl by some, although it is more likely a maenad (a female worshipper of the god of wine and revelry, Bacchus or Dionysus).

This mosaic is the symbol of the museum. One reason I chose it is that it symbolizes the destruction of ancient sites going on worldwide. The ancient city, founded by one of the generals of Alexander the Great, was going to be flooded by a proposed dam in modern Turkey. In an emergency rescue/salvage effort, the most valuable and beautiful mosaics were saved and can now be seen in what is one of the largest mosaic museums in the world. However, there was so much more that could have been preserved and learned from the ruins of the town (now flooded).

https://www.luxurytravelmagazine.com/news-articles/museum-of-roman-mosaics-to-open-in-turkey

The gypsy girl is also a symbol of the issue of repatriation. Portions of the mosaic of which she was part were smuggled out of Turkey in the 1960s and were only returned recently when it was proved that they came from this particular mosaic. (They were sold by an unscrupulous dealer to an American university for their collections.)

Very interesting.Thanks for the reply.

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh wow - I didn't know that this site even existed. I have been reading what is available online - such a shame to flood the excavations. It appears that a section (C) was not flooded & can be viewed. Have you been?

Did you visit before the area was flooded? Have you visited the museum?

Guess I need to subscribe to Archaeology

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Oh wow - I didn't know that this site even existed. I have been reading what is available online - such a shame to flood the excavations. It appears that a section (C) was not flooded & can be viewed. Have you been?

Did you visit before the area was flooded? Have you visited the museum?

Guess I need to subscribe to Archaeology

I first heard about it when I was on a cruise on Aegean Odyssey that stopped at Iskenderun Turkey (formerly called Alexandretta or "Little Alexandria" -- it features in one of the Indiana Jones movies).  I took a tour that included going to the ancient ruins (very little left) of Antioch, now Antakya, then to the nearby Hatay Archaeological Museum which has absolutely splendid mosaics from the Roman era, including from nearby Antioch and from Tarsus (where, famously, Cleopatra came to meet and woo Mark Antony) and Daphne, an area of wealthy Roman villas. The museum had recently been enlarged/renovated and the mosaics were well displayed in a large building. This was in 2010. From one of the lecturers on the cruise, I then heard the plight of Zeugma and that they were creating a similar modern world-class museum there for the mosaics that had been recovered.

The museum opened in September 2011, but the Syrian war started in March 2011. Both Zeugma and Antakya are uncomfortably close to the Syrian border. Voyages to Antiquity had one cruise in 2011 that was scheduled to stop in Iskenderun, I think, but I didn't want to return quite so soon -- plus it was difficult to get details about when the museum was actually going to open and whether everything would be on display or only partially complete....   After that, it was not recommended to go so close to Syria. So no, I have not been. Yet. :classic_wink:

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I first heard about it when I was on a cruise on Aegean Odyssey that stopped at Iskenderun Turkey (formerly called Alexandretta or "Little Alexandria" -- it features in one of the Indiana Jones movies).  I took a tour that included going to the ancient ruins (very little left) of Antioch, now Antakya, then to the nearby Hatay Archaeological Museum which has absolutely splendid mosaics from the Roman era, including from nearby Antioch and from Tarsus (where, famously, Cleopatra came to meet and woo Mark Antony) and Daphne, an area of wealthy Roman villas. The museum had recently been enlarged/renovated and the mosaics were well displayed in a large building. This was in 2010. From one of the lecturers on the cruise, I then heard the plight of Zeugma and that they were creating a similar modern world-class museum there for the mosaics that had been recovered.

The museum opened in September 2011, but the Syrian war started in March 2011. Both Zeugma and Antakya are uncomfortably close to the Syrian border. Voyages to Antiquity had one cruise in 2011 that was scheduled to stop in Iskenderun, I think, but I didn't want to return quite so soon -- plus it was difficult to get details about when the museum was actually going to open and whether everything would be on display or only partially complete....   After that, it was not recommended to go so close to Syria. So no, I have not been. Yet. :classic_wink:

Wishing you luck getting there someday in a hopefully much more peaceful world.