Jump to content

Ship Shore Excursions Required


Recommended Posts

Based on what's happening with cruises starting up in Europe, the cruise lines looking to sail out of USA ports may require passengers to take ship-sponsored shore excursions in order to get off the ship in port. This requirement would likely make us rethink whether we would cruise.  We aren't interested in having to take a shore excursion in a place like Honolulu in order to get off the ship. We have been there many times and like to do certain things that aren't offered as a ship tour.  

 

How do people feel about having to take ship-sponsored shore excursions?  Would it change your likelihood of taking a cruise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Based on what's happening with cruises starting up in Europe, the cruise lines looking to sail out of USA ports may require passengers to take ship-sponsored shore excursions in order to get off the ship in port. This requirement would likely make us rethink whether we would cruise.  We aren't interested in having to take a shore excursion in a place like Honolulu in order to get off the ship. We have been there many times and like to do certain things that aren't offered as a ship tour.  

 

How do people feel about having to take ship-sponsored shore excursions?  Would it change your likelihood of taking a cruise?

Limits my shopping 😢

Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect this requirement will only be in place until a vaccine is available, and until that time we are not interested in cruising anyway. This type of stipulation and others that would be in place means cruising is not for us at this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's part of the recommendations released by some of the cruise lines to the CDC today too.  This would be a tough one because part of the charm of cruising is just wandering around ports on our own.  But these are abnormal times and it's just one more thing we will have to take into consideration when deciding whether or not we are ready to cruise again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m guessing the excursions will be spread out too Limited seating, social distancing etc... due to that fewer buses because the pax per bus will be cut in half... making fewer choices too.

 

we love traveling to various gardens; in Hawaii.  We generally take taxi services and stay the entire time at a specific garden.  
 

im guessing those days are finished.  For at lease a year or two.  The vax is limited resource, limited results, etc.  and some folks cannot take the vax, due to different allergy’s Or reactions based on the chemicals used to create the vax.

 

im scheduled Feb 25 To Hawaii, but I’m guessing they will limit guests movement and activities on and off the ship.   So, let’s see what will occur.

 

but I agree, it’s going to make the journeys we all love, less interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Based on what's happening with cruises starting up in Europe, the cruise lines looking to sail out of USA ports may require passengers to take ship-sponsored shore excursions in order to get off the ship in port. This requirement would likely make us rethink whether we would cruise.  We aren't interested in having to take a shore excursion in a place like Honolulu in order to get off the ship. We have been there many times and like to do certain things that aren't offered as a ship tour.  

 

How do people feel about having to take ship-sponsored shore excursions?  Would it change your likelihood of taking a cruise?

I would still take the cruise regardless of the restrictions. 
 

Based on your questions have you considering taking a poll?  You might find some interesting results. 
 

Tom😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly can they do for these excursions that would have you interact with no one outside your "cruise excursion Bubble'? The only thing I can envision is a bus on which you never get off during the excursion. So for instance in Rome, oh there is the Colosseum, there is the Vatican Museum. I bet you would like to get out to see it; well tough luck, you cannot!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are huge fans of Alaska with 27 trips to this beautiful place.  We prefer to use our own independent vendors who we have come to know and enjoy their experience.  If Princess were to tell us we had to go through the ship then we would cancel the cruises.  We have a back-to-back in May of 2021 and a 7-day in August of 2021.  I guess we will just have to wait and see what the final decisions are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I can’t get off the ship unless I’m on a Princess Excursion that’s a dealbreaker for me. I like to get off the ship and just walk around now. I have been on over 50 cruises in the Caribbean. I been from submarine rides to parasailing and everything in between. So I have no interest in excursions. But I want to get off the ship when and if I want.

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already booked Princess tours for Aug/Oct 2021 and Nov/Dec 2021 just in case this remains a requirement.  We love to explore ports on our own, geocache and  have private tours but will go with the Princess  tours if that is still a requirement to cruise come August.

 

 

Edited by coo359a2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuaneO said:

I’m guessing the excursions will be spread out too Limited seating, social distancing etc... due to that fewer buses because the pax per bus will be cut in half... making fewer choices too.

 

we love traveling to various gardens; in Hawaii.  We generally take taxi services and stay the entire time at a specific garden.  
 

im guessing those days are finished.  For at lease a year or two.  The vax is limited resource, limited results, etc.  and some folks cannot take the vax, due to different allergy’s Or reactions based on the chemicals used to create the vax.

 

im scheduled Feb 25 To Hawaii, but I’m guessing they will limit guests movement and activities on and off the ship.   So, let’s see what will occur.

 

but I agree, it’s going to make the journeys we all love, less interesting.

 

I am very skeptical in regards to cruise ships being allowed to return to Hawaii any time soon.  After several delays (April - October), the state will open up to TransPacific air travel with a pre-travel covid test.  I've been trying to get back since July.  I am not confident in this last "announcement" since the date has been pushed back so many times.  If the state can't make a decision as simple as air travel, I am not sure they will know how to handle multiple cruise ships  in the spring. And I am a pseudo local. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer to get off on my own and check things out. It is a cheaper option but it wouldn’t stop my from going. I had planned to do princess excursions anyway in just ports anyway. If it was a cruise I had done multiple times, I would probably either not get off and enjoy the quiet ship or just cancel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

What exactly can they do for these excursions that would have you interact with no one outside your "cruise excursion Bubble'? The only thing I can envision is a bus on which you never get off during the excursion. So for instance in Rome, oh there is the Colosseum, there is the Vatican Museum. I bet you would like to get out to see it; well tough luck, you cannot!

MSC has walking tours in their cruise excursion bubble and is also investigating shopping / open market alternatives. That's how 1 family was denied getting back on the ship --- they walked away from the group. Should've paid attention to the restrictions 

 

I just finished booking my TA Spanish Passage & Alaska excursions with Princess. If the ship sails, I'm good. Booked every small group one they currently offer

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites

In answer.... it would depend on the port..... generally we do our own thing....

 

But if it needed then so be it.......

 

If it as a port haven't been before.... doesn't make a lot of difference....

 

But if it is a port we been to.... then deal breaker... as we want to go where we want.

 

Of course.. we really don't know what will happen in the future.......

( not even the great magic 8-ball knows )

 

Cheers Don

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Ziplining companies in Alaska only book through the ship anyway so no difference for us in Alaska

 

Grabbing a beer in the local brew pubs isn't offered by Princess... We've been to Ketchican, Juneau, and Skagway multiple times. If I can't get off the ship unless it's with Princess excursion I won't be cruising. However, I have no evidence that Princess will have such a stricture in place. I don't need to borrow trouble. There's enough to worry about these days without adding something that likely won't ever happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...