Celebrity complaint

Xana799

30 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

When we cruise I always place a piece of paper inside each suitcase. Printed on it is our itinerary, from start to finish, with where we would be on each day/date.

It also includes our names, address, cell phone number, and a message that if the bag is found to please return it to our address.
Perhaps going forward this would help solve this problem since even if the outside tags are lost, the airline staff would know where to send your bag.

Absolutely ... This is what we also do with not only checked luggage but carry on as well...you never know.

27 minutes ago, Xana799 said:

I agree with you, you are correct. This was Celebrity's response:

"With regard to lost luggage, the Cruise Ticket Contract you agreed to states the following: “Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger’s property, whether contained in luggage or otherwise. Liability for loss of or damage to Passenger’s property in connection with any air or ground transportation shall be the sole responsibility of the provider of the service and in accordance with applicable limitations." What do they mean by...'shall be the sole responsibility of the provider of the service'...the provider of the service, was the'truck company' contracted by Celebrity, right?

Your luggage was neither lost or damaged...It was delayed...you got your luggage. It was your choice to decide to miss the flight/not arrive to the gate in time due to the delay.

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As your bag was delayed and not lost, and as there was neither loss of nor damage to your luggage or its contents, what is your related concern? In any event, Celebrity is simply stating that once your property (luggage and contents) is in the hands of another service provider, the loss or damage of the property is the responsibility of the provider. In other words, the trucking company would have been liable had it lost or damaged the luggage, not Celebrity.

18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As your bag was delayed and not lost, and as there was neither loss of nor damage to your luggage or its contents, what is your related concern? In any event, Celebrity is simply stating that once your property (luggage and contents) is in the hands of another service provider, the loss or damage of the property is the responsibility of the provider. In other words, the trucking company would have been liable had it lost or damaged the luggage, not Celebrity.

why in the world would miss a flight and then go ahead and pay 3000+ pounds fo another flight, over one piece of luggage???  Sorry but you own this, not Celebrity.  I am surprised they reimbursed you anything, but the fact that they did, tells me something very good about them!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Xana799 said:

Exactly. But my 'contract'' was with Celebrity.

Your contract may well have been with Celebrity, but if the contract states explicitly that the cruise line is not liable when your luggage is in the hands of a third party and you agreed to the contract, I fail to see the point that you are trying to make.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Your contract may well have been with Celebrity, but if the contract states explicitly that the cruise line is not liable when your luggage is in the hands of a third party and you agreed to the contract, I fail to see the point that you are trying to make.

I feel like OP just made a hasty and not well thought out decision here, albeit a costly one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

When we cruise I always place a piece of paper inside each suitcase. Printed on it is our itinerary, from start to finish, with where we would be on each day/date.

It also includes our names, address, cell phone number, and a message that if the bag is found to please return it to our address.
Perhaps going forward this would help solve this problem since even if the outside tags are lost, the airline staff would know where to send your bag.

This.

Plus unless it is the domestic-only service where the cruiseline checks you into your flight and prints the bag tags FROM THE AIRLINE, I would never trust a random service to get my bag. I'd rather take a little longer and my own transportation (taxi, Lyft, whatever) than trust someone else to get it.  (I also travel fairly light and rarely check bags anyway, so...)

Agree..the more entities that touch your luggage,  the more possibilites of who lost or damaged it, and who will be responsible. Once had SW Air try to shift  blame for a  broken suitcase onto TSA...nice try but in our jurisdiction that did not hold up.. airline  had to repair.

We try to never lose sight of our luggage but  recently,  walking off from Celebrity is way too popular (obvious reasons).  There are long lines, crowds, people with huge suitcases they cannot manage well, etc.  We have gone back to letting Celeb  take our luggage off and are greatly relieved when we have retrieved it all.

Seems the consensus on the thread is that OP did not make a good choice and X will probably not pay!

• Like 1

Xana799,

Did you otherwise enjoy your cruise?  We took Eclipse this year in early Jan from Santiago to BA as well.  Weather was not great and we missed ports and some of the scenery. There we quite a few on the ship suffering from flu-like symptoms and we wonder if it was COVID that early but we will never really know.  Shortly after your cruise Eclipse got stranded at sea for quite some time.

23 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I have luggage tags for that.  However, to get that info you need to pull out the name card to read it.  It's not facing forward for all to see.

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Shortly after your cruise Eclipse got stranded at sea for quite some time.

We were on that one thinking we were in a safe little bubble.  Not so.  However, Celebrity looked after us very well, gave us a free cruise (no ports, of course) and our money back as well.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I have luggage tags for that.  However, to get that info you need to pull out the name card to read it.  It's not facing forward for all to see.

The point is, if the outside tag is lost, your airline will be able to find the owner and get your bag to you eventually.  So no need to even consider not catching a flight because of a missing piece of luggage.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

On a " cold " Saturday morning -----I was wondering whether you might have " forgotten " ( ?? ) to leave a gratuity for your room Steward and suddenly the cruise ship's secure ( ?? ) bag tag fell off one of the bags ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Sixth? said:

Wow, €3,500.00 or so extra cost for a bag that may have never appeared 

What was in it?

I still feel like there is more to this story, feel bad (?) for OP, but I just don't think all the info was provided.

When we arrived in Dublin after a transatlantic, both our cases were missing from the assigned number location.  We did locate them where they were put aside - fortunately I purchased teal colored luggage.  Wondered how both were missing.  When tagging cases to board ship, I put one on the top handle and one on the side handle.  I should also be doing this when departing ship but have not done so previously.  

6 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

When we arrived in Dublin after a transatlantic, both our cases were missing from the assigned number location.  We did locate them where they were put aside - fortunately I purchased teal colored luggage.  Wondered how both were missing.  When tagging cases to board ship, I put one on the top handle and one on the side handle.  I should also be doing this when departing ship but have not done so previously.  

Great idea, thank you....

bon voyage

Even when using the pre-printed tags Celebrity provides I put them in the plastic luggage tag holders from Amazon and also do one on the top handle and the side handle.   Do the same when exiting the ship with the numbered tags.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PGOCUE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

We used to do the same thing too. Thanks for reminding me, need to get back to basics. 😊

37 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

When tagging cases to board ship, I put one on the top handle and one on the side handle.  I should also be doing this when departing ship but have not done so previously. 

If you mean putting 2 tags on every bag on the last night in preparation for departure the next morning , I've always done that.

Why waste the tags that the room Steward leaves for us ? It's double protection.

I’m a big fan of the plastic luggage tags also. They are way more secure than the cruise ship bags. I put 2 on each piece of luggage including carry ons. Once I left my carry on behind when we took the shuttle from the Renaissance on 17th. Fortunately I realised quickly and the driver turned back but I’m sure I would have had a better chance of getting it back if he hadn’t with those tags. I also print several copies of our full itinerary and place one in each bag. I’m sorry for the OP. It’s a horrible feeling when you are missing luggage but we would not have paid for another flight.