Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tillys mom

Sydney Harbor

Recommended Posts

Several years ago we enjoyed a magnificent sail into Sydney Harbor. I’m looking at a cruise in 22 that sails out of the harbor and wondered if it was as special. Has anyone done both? Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes about an hour to reach open sea.  Very enjoyable as the city slowly disappears.  Problem often is it will be dark .. check your departure time and expected sunset time. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally it will not be dark when you depart as Sydney has daylight in summer until at least 7-8pm. Arrival is often around 5-6am but it is beautiful coming in as the sun rises. I lived there for 30 years and even though I went to work across the harbour by ferry, it was on my bucket list to cruise out of the harbour which I accomplished in November. I'm biased but it is as good as any harbour in the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Just have a look at my CC cover photo and it might help you decide!!  I took this photo with my phone as we sailed past the Opera House. We have sailed many times into and out of Sydney at various times of the day and the year. Sailing under the Harbour Bridge is pretty special also. IMHO it is one of the most magnificent Harbours in the World- but then again I could be slightly biased 😉😉

I am sure you would not be disappointed with your decision to cruise to or from Sydney.

Jenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concur that departing (or arriving) Sydney Harbour is spectacular whether it is daytime, nighttime, or twilight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we sailed into the harbor, we were met by the fire boats spraying water and the beautiful opera house on the left and the bridge in front of us. I’ll never forget how impressive it was. I guess the departure would be similar, but don’t see how it could be as memorable.

Thanks for the help; I’m just wishing and dreaming at this point, but things will get better soon I hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fire boats spraying water, only occasionally happens such as when it is a brand new ship for Sydney or say three ships from the same line are meeting up in the harbour and the cruise line wants publicity.

In saying that it is a wonderful sailout and we always enjoy it. Especially exciting if you go under the bridge. Though that will happen less now as there are more larger ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sewgood said:

The fire boats spraying water, only occasionally happens such as when it is a brand new ship for Sydney or say three ships from the same line are meeting up in the harbour and the cruise line wants publicity.

In saying that it is a wonderful sailout and we always enjoy it. Especially exciting if you go under the bridge. Though that will happen less now as there are more larger ships.

Yep the biggest one currently fits under the bridge is Noordam and will become Pacific Adventure when it arrives.

 

However Pacific Adventure as Golden Princess never went to White Bay - same goes for Ruby but can be understandable (Ruby has one more deck than Golden)

 

After the sale of Sun and Sea it'd be Coral, Island & Pacific for Princess to White Bay only IMO - everything else will be at OPT

 

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have sailed in and out of Sydney Harbour a number of times and each time it is very special. If you are on a larger ship, you will arrive or leave from Circular Quay and if so, book a cabin on your starboard side as that faces the Opera House. The ships usually tie up with the bow facing the way out.  If you happen to be on a smaller ship or there are more than one ship in Sydney at the same time, then you will go to White Bay which is at the back of the Harbour. That is where you sail under the Harbour Bridge on leaving and arriving back into Sydney.  Again that is also very exciting as going under the Bridge is very special. Even though I am not a Sydneysider being from Melbourne, I still think that Sydney has the best cruise harbour in the world and we have been to some of the best harbours including Hong Kong,  Rio, Auckland, Cape Town, Seward and Singapore.  Nothing beats leaving Sydney on a sunny day. 

Jennie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aussie Gal said:

We have sailed in and out of Sydney Harbour a number of times and each time it is very special. If you are on a larger ship, you will arrive or leave from Circular Quay and if so, book a cabin on your starboard side as that faces the Opera House. The ships usually tie up with the bow facing the way out.  If you happen to be on a smaller ship or there are more than one ship in Sydney at the same time, then you will go to White Bay which is at the back of the Harbour. That is where you sail under the Harbour Bridge on leaving and arriving back into Sydney.  Again that is also very exciting as going under the Bridge is very special. Even though I am not a Sydneysider being from Melbourne, I still think that Sydney has the best cruise harbour in the world and we have been to some of the best harbours including Hong Kong,  Rio, Auckland, Cape Town, Seward and Singapore.  Nothing beats leaving Sydney on a sunny day. 

Jennie

I won’t dispute that Sydney is spectacular because it is, but San Francisco is also wonderful. Easing out into the bay, past the Marina Green and Presidio and under the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s best sitting on a port balcony sipping champagne. 
 

Just sayin’... 😺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sydney is one of the great cities to visit. We booked a flight to Sydney with an on purpose plane change in Melbourne. Even though we had a through ticket to Sydney, Qantas allowed the stopover. This allowed us to spend a few nights in Melbourne before flying onwards to Sydney. We were in Sydney for several days before meeting our cruisetour. Then we had the very nice 8 day cruisetour before boarding our ship. Once on board the sail away was very scenic and enjoyable. You may have to adjust your dinner plans for the experience. Grand & Royal class ships do not sail under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. They dock at Circular Quay across the harbour from the opera house. I think the Sun Class ships sailed under the bridge docking in Darling Harbour, but the last two Princess Sun Class ships have been sold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aussie Gal said:

We have sailed in and out of Sydney Harbour a number of times and each time it is very special. If you are on a larger ship, you will arrive or leave from Circular Quay and if so, book a cabin on your starboard side as that faces the Opera House. The ships usually tie up with the bow facing the way out. 

Princess usually docks bow in and backs out, so cabins on the port side will face the Opera House. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed from (and back to) Sydney on a New Zealand Cruise. It is a spectacular port. But, I’m guessing sailing into port (if you didn’t depart from there) would be more special.  When you sail from Sydney, you’ve been looking at the amazing Opera House all day so it’s not quite as unique as seeing it for the first time as it gets closer and closer on your approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have sailed both in and out of the harbor twice. In by day and seeing the Bridge and the Opera house , then berthed at the Circular Quay - breathtaking!!  Out by twilight was impressive also.

Have to disagree about it being the best sail OUT city though. Venice at twilight with St Marks square just lighting up was the best!  Both absolutely bucket list experiences.!!!😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer sailing out of Sydney Harbour, rather than sailing in. Coming in it is usually virtually dark, but for sailing out, it is light, or if it is evening, the city is fully lit including the Opera House.

 

I agree with the comment that Princess ships usually dock at the Overseas Passenger Terminal with their bow facing in.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I prefer sailing out of Sydney Harbour, rather than sailing in. Coming in it is usually virtually dark, but for sailing out, it is light, or if it is evening, the city is fully lit including the Opera House.

 

I agree with the comment that Princess ships usually dock at the Overseas Passenger Terminal with their bow facing in.🙂

My apologies for stating that Princess always faces out to the harbour, I have looked at photos and she does dock with her bow facing in so book a Port cabin so that you can get the view. It is the other lines that back into the quay.  

I agree that coming and leaving Venice is spectacular and a wonderful experience but leaving Sydney on a summer's day is magical with all the yachts out and about on the harbour and with the Bridge and the Opera House right there, does make for a wonderful start of a cruise.

Jennie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

I won’t dispute that Sydney is spectacular because it is, but San Francisco is also wonderful. Easing out into the bay, past the Marina Green and Presidio and under the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s best sitting on a port balcony sipping champagne. 
 

Just sayin’... 😺

Good points! Rated in the top three in the world, the other being NYC. We will be leaving out of Sydney and arriving in San Francisco on Sapphire in April 2022. Fingers crossed. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Lots of departure (and arrival) pics here:

 

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Sydney

 

i think it’s really my favorite ports to sail into or out of, even better than Rio de Janeiro, Venice and Bora Bora. 

I just realised you spent 140 days on Majestic!

 

WOW!

 

Lucky you fella!

 

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, eamondzhang said:

I just realised you spent 140 days on Majestic!

 

WOW!

 

Lucky you fella!

 

Michael

Thank you! Actually, far fewer days on the Majestic Princess. Something like 47. 93 days on the Ruby Princess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thank you! Actually, far fewer days on the Majestic Princess. Something like 47. 93 days on the Ruby Princess. 

Can only dream of getting some cruise this long, especially after the saga now!

 

Hope you'd enjoyed some of Aussie hosptality in the meantime 😉

 

I was on Ruby for the 3 night sampler in Feb'20 - weather was probably at its worst with storms and high waves but the ship itself was fabulous. Kinda sad when it got involved in the worst cruise ship cluster later on.

 

Michael

Edited by eamondzhang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 5:00 PM, tillys mom said:

Several years ago we enjoyed a magnificent sail into Sydney Harbor. I’m looking at a cruise in 22 that sails out of the harbor and wondered if it was as special. Has anyone done both? Thanks for your help.

Last year I sailed out of Sydney on the Majestic. It was spectacular leaving & going by the Opera House. 

Here’s a photo from the Majestic. Yes a very scenic view.
 

Tom😀 

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice pic of opera house.  PescadoAmarillo your blog pics are fantastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!  Eamondzhang, the friendliness of the Australian people is probably the single best thing about cruising in that part of the world (along with the history, the scenery, the animals, Kiwi friendliness...). DH mentioned a few days ago that we might never get back down there again and it gave me major sads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...