Cruise Critic Community
richwmn

The Daily for Friday Sep 25, 2020

today is National Food Service Employees Day, Save the Koala Day, and National Comic Book Day  

"People think love is an emotion.  Love is good sense."
        -- Ken Kesey

Meal suggestion for today - Garlic & Herb Turkey Roulade

Drink of the Day - Tropa Mango Mojito

Wine of the day - Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley vintage 2015

At Sea Mediterranian
Noordam destination Katakolon Greece eta 9/26

Bonaire Anchorage
Oosterdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Puntarenas
Koningsdam

Rotterdam Shipyard
Zaandam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Torquay GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

0925World.png

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Comics bring back great memories.  Dealing with Covid our food service workers really are earning their day and Koalas are some of the cutest animals around.

3 years ago today I boarded the Oosterdam for a series of 3 cruises taking me well into the fall and I have been on a HAL ship nearly every calendar day for the next 7 months.  Barring objections I will resume offering an alternate meal suggestion.  Today’s is Chilled Berry and Chia Seed Soup, Turkey Scallopini, and Banana Crisp, as served on the Oosterdam September 25, 2017.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

fatcat04's DH dealing with vertigo

Maritime Canada with Teddy

Continuing left arm limitations for Himself

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front line health workers

Mask makers

Evans Georgia (Money’s #1 place to live–congrats from number 5)

Rain in areas where needed

School buses redeployed as mobile hot spots

Happy Birthday, fatcat04

And Covid sniffing dogs.  If dogs really can detect Covid before tests show positive, that could be a real game changer.

Roy

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Another celebration to add to the list, according to an email I received today is National Lobster Day. 
The meal suggestion sounds good but I think it will be soup tonight.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists,

Good Morning!   Big kudo's to our service workers.  They have been on the front line through this horrible virus.  I love Koala's alot.  Loved seeing them in person on one of our cruises.  Never was in comic books, but love reading the comics in the paper.  Stay save everyone, social distance and wear your mask.

Tropical Mango Mojito:

• 2 oz. White Rum or Cruzan Mango Rum (we used Cruzan Mango Rum)
  • 3-4 oz. Club Soda
  • 1 small Mango (very ripe with skin removed)
  • 1/2 Lime
  • 5 Mint Leaves

Instructions

• Blend the mango and rum in a blender and set aside.
  • Muddle the mint leaves and juice of 1/2 lime. Add the club soda and rum/mango mixture.
  • Add a bit more club soda if needed so that the mixture is not too thick. Gently stir.
  • Pour over ice in a tall glass and stir again before serving. Garnish with mint.

The Best Funny Aussie Jokes 2020

Alarm Clock jokes – Jokes by Boys' Life

Good morning Rich. Thanks for the Daily briefing. 

Good morning dear sisters, Roy, Jacqui, Summer. I know what the wine will be. A no..

Met a group of ladies yesterday from our neighborhood, 16 in all. I had a Brussels sprouts appetizer and wine. It was delicious.

I sat near a really sweet lady. She was waiting on biopsy results. Last night she texted that it is cancer. God bless her.  

My hosta arrived! I will be planting them this morning. I will take a chance and plant a few in our walk way. They probably won't show much foliage as they are going into "hibernation" so maybe the deer won't see them. @kazu I bought deer repellent spray. Did you ever find a product that worked?

I will be toasting tonight to Covid sniffing dogs. Wow. Blessings to all. Oh! I have a picture to post. I met a "little fella" in our yard last night..

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich - what a great combo of days to celebrate! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Hope all are well. 

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. Jacqui hope your shingles are less painful & Teddy cleanup is not too much.

Interesting quote. I have no clue what I will do for supper. 

Prayers for all who need our support. 
Shout out to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Sonoma Cab is highly rated - all vintages.  It has a decent price around $25. 

#80 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

This Cabernet is built each vintage on the notion of a Bordeaux blend, with soft and silky tannins crafted for immediate enjoyment. Aromas and flavors of dark red fruit led by raspberry, black cherry and evident oak spice are joined with more traditional Knights Valley tones of black and blue fruits. A touch of licorice and mocha round out a lingering, pleasant finish.

Blend: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petite Verdot

WS92
Wine Spectator
Firm, rich and tightly focused on a core of vivid dark berry, light mocha and cedar flavors, finishing long and layered. A real treat. Drink now through 2026.

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So here's a special guest to our yard. We named him Tommy.

0924201934d.jpg

Now that is a spider! He is big enough to help you plant your Hostas. I wonder if Tommy eats slugs? Not sure about Texas, but my Maryland Hostas attracted so many slugs, I dug them up & gave them away. My pavers were a great deal cleaner after that. 

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

0924201934d.jpg

Yikes!

If he showed up in my garden you’d hear me scream all the way in Texas.

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Yikes!

If he showed up in my garden you’d hear me scream all the way in Texas.

We had tarantulas in Arizona too. They can get 10 inches or more. They are scary to look at, but they move pretty slow and if you accidentally step on one they usually aren't quick enough to bite. Pain wise it is akin to a bee sting.

Thanks for the daily Rich and Roy and for the prayers. Have found you don't "fight" Alzheimer's you learn to just "roll" with it or it will roll over you! 

Here in N.E. Texas we have had some unusual critters this year with the added rain and cooler than normal weather. The spiders are HUGE and all of them want to join us in the house. Exterminator tells me he could work 7 days a week and still not catch up. 

have a happy day all!

Barbara

Thanks to Rich and all who contribute to this wonderful start to the day! Cocktails, wining & dining suggestions. Cares and celebrations with beautiful photos. And thoughtful and positive thoughts. You all put a smile on my face each morning as I take it in. 

FWIW, today's wine description sounds fabulous! It would go so well with the Boeuf Bourgignon (with an assist from Ina Garten) I started yesterday and will serve for Date Night tonight. We will have to suffer with what we have on hand, LOL!

Have a wonderful day!

-Cat

Good morning all and thanks again to the contributors.   Won't it be great when we can all celebrate the day that a vaccine for Covid 19 has been found to be effective?  I will take a pass on the regular Mojito in favour of the one posted today!   If things had have been normal we would have been closing our suitcases today and looking forward to meeting up with Jacqui and Jose in Vancouver ahead of our TP on the Noordam to Japan.  

This is the last of my string of 3 sunrise-less days and my penultimate photo from my 2012 Crystal Symphony Transatlantic.   On September 17 we should have visited Halifax but were so far delayed by storms leaving Iceland that we spent the day making up time.

dawn17.jpg

Roy

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  What a great selection of things to celebrate; koalas, food service folks, lobster, and comics.  Just a comment on comics - while standing at the grocery store the other day, I looked at an Archie comic book; the price was $4.99.  Wow!  As a child I recall paying 10 cents for a comic book, and at the local pharmacy on Saturdays they would tear the covers off (to return for credit, I assume), and you could buy a bundle of 5 for 25 cents.  Talk about inflation!  LOL

I really like the dinner suggestions for tonight - both Rich's and Roy's - does anyone want to come to my house and make them?  I'm pretty sure ours is going to be baked chicken cordon-bleu with roasted potatoes and salad tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone on the list and even for those who don't think they need them.  Raising my glass in toast to all on the celebration list!  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you everyone for the updates and suggestions.

I like all the food and beverage mentioned, especially the Beef Bourguinon recipe from Ina Garten. Oh, enjoy that treat @Ichiban Nekko !! Ina is my culinary inspiration. If you ever wish to treat yourself in the summer time, make Ina's Salmon Salad. It is just wonderful. I made a huge bowl of it along with her oh so delightful Curry Chicken Salad for a church social and both bowls were scraped clean. She just has the knack for simple correct seasoning, which is a gift imo. 

@rafinmdHurray for doggy noses!! Covid sniffing pups, isn't that brilliant!?

@Seasick Sailor I personally think fuzzy spiders like Tommy the Tarantula are fascinating (not so much other spiders) but dh, uh, no. Kill it with fire comes to mind. I do however remind him that most spiders kill other creepy crawlies we like even less. 

Birthday dinner was yummy and we had sparkling sake, a personal favorite. Cake is half eaten... and the other half is sitting in the kitchen calling my name. Birthday cake technically has no calories, right? 

Today looks to be another will it or won't it rain day. Temps are very nice though. Dd and I are off on an errand in a couple hours and then will have lunch with dh while we are out. 

Hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

I think I will do something with Spaghetti Squash tonight, not sure exactly what yet...

Here are my last Malaga pictures from our 2018 Transatlantic. We really want to do more of these crossings!

Not quite sunrise, but fairly early morning (for me at least) looking over the cruise terminal -

image.thumb.png.5a528ab04d0fecb5bb87adf7b38476b6.png

The local football club. Our guide said they weren't very good -

image.thumb.png.4b7059086d856eee2ac75fa7dd78c32e.png

If you get the chance, do not miss this!

image.thumb.png.7fa6d625ec3730f1318c05010994ca0c.png

Picasso in the square -

image.thumb.png.ebaec74aeccf431c501107e5648f4d2f.png

View of the countryside from the castle -

image.thumb.png.66f2b04226bef51d06b2bbb4ae6deab7.png

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Thanks to Rich and all who contribute to this wonderful start to the day! Cocktails, wining & dining suggestions. Cares and celebrations with beautiful photos. And thoughtful and positive thoughts. You all put a smile on my face each morning as I take it in. 

FWIW, today's wine description sounds fabulous! It would go so well with the Boeuf Bourgignon (with an assist from Ina Garten) I started yesterday and will serve for Date Night tonight. We will have to suffer with what we have on hand, LOL!

Have a wonderful day!

-Cat

Hello & welcome to posting on the Daily!

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

0924201934d.jpg

Bet you never saw those in Algonquin.