Crew Restructuring Changes (From A Crewmember) via The Safe Healthy Plans at Royal & NCL

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

I think it is interesting that these crew changes are listed as for both NCL and RCL. I know they worked together on the Healthy Sail Panel, but those recommendations did not address what positions would be changed or eliminated. If the two lines are implementing the same crew changes does anyone think that may mean there is going to be an even closer arrangement? Maybe a merger

Not sure why RCCL fans think this would be good.

If it is a takeover by RCCL that would be one thing.

If it's a merger "among equals," bye bye RCCL as we know it.

10 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not sure why RCCL fans think this would be good.

If it is a takeover by RCCL that would be one thing.

If it's a merger "among equals," bye bye RCCL as we know it.

We don't even know where this came from or if it's legit.  But, the fact it's for both cruise lines (supposedly) is interesting.  One post of one supposed text doesn't really mean anything, not to mention, the grammar is interesting..  

Edited by BND
1 minute ago, BND said:

We don't even know where this came from or if it's legit.  But, the fact it's for both cruise lines (supposedly) is interesting.  One post of one supposed text doesn't really mean anything, not to mention, the grammar is interesting.

Yes, it doesn't look kosher to me and I'm not even Jewish.

No more restaurant stewards ..... which for us means  the one who completely ignored us until the last evening . Now the waiters we’ve had for the majority of our cruises have been phenomenal and that’s what has made our dining experience memorable.

13 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

No more restaurant stewards ..... which for us means  the one who completely ignored us until the last evening . Now the waiters we’ve had for the majority of our cruises have been phenomenal and that’s what has made our dining experience memorable.

What is your definition of a restaurant "steward"?  It's not a term that any of us know.

2 hours ago, PaulS said:

If the two lines are implementing the same crew changes does anyone think that may mean there is going to be an even closer arrangement? Maybe a merger

I heard that rumor a few weeks ago and little tidbits since then that seem to feed it.  The next month should be interesting.  

A restaurant steward would be a bus person or assistant service person, not a manager.

Trust my avatar when I tell you the job duties associated with these titles are NOT going away, the work will be doubled up on other positions.

47 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

A restaurant steward would be a bus person or assistant service person, not a manager.

Trust my avatar when I tell you the job duties associated with these titles are NOT going away, the work will be doubled up on other positions.

Read post #31.

The assistant waiters are often the busiest and would be there the whole time.

Ukigirl said this person ignored them until the last night (hoping for a tip?).  That would be a head waiter, or maitre d'

8 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Read post #31.

The assistant waiters are often the busiest and would be there the whole time.

Ukigirl said this person ignored them until the last night (hoping for a tip?).  That would be a head waiter, or maitre d'

No reason to think she is correct on the term

11 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Yes! I agree. A lot of those eliminations just mean someone else has the work now.  Just like my place of employment has done for years with job eliminations.  And I have seen restaurants without dedicated managers before ... talked to managers who covered 3 places for instance.  There were multiple players of oversight and I bet a layer is being eliminated.

All this made possible by lower passenger load I would think.  Less food to make. Fewer services to provide.

The firefighter change perhaps promoted by a number of recent ship fires and learnings to have more dedicated experts, and I agree many will still have training to assist.  During the day perhaps they will be safety inspectors.

26 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

The firefighter change perhaps promoted by a number of recent ship fires and learnings to have more dedicated experts, and I agree many will still have training to assist.  During the day perhaps they will be safety inspectors.

Elavator operators 😉

13 hours ago, BND said:

What is your definition of a restaurant "steward"?  It's not a term that any of us know.

NCL Restaurant Steward Job Description

This position is responsible for providing support to the Main Dining Rooms, Buffet and Crew Mess during service and ensuring cleanliness of these areas at the completion of service. Responsible for beverage and table maintenance in an assigned station of the Buffet as directed by management.
In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed. (more information in the link above)

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
Just now, suzyluvs2cruise said:

This position is responsible for providing support to the Main Dining Rooms, Buffet and Crew Mess during service and ensuring cleanliness of these areas at the completion of service. Responsible for beverage and table maintenance in an assigned station of the Buffet as directed by management.
In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.

Well, at RCI, that position doesn't exist as a "steward" or at all as far as I know.  It's part of the waitstaff's job.  That's why no one here had heard of it.

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.

In other words, clearing tables, pouring water, coffee... and cleaning. My favorite people in the buffet!!  I never knew their titles. I usually just look at their names and where they are from on their badges.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, BND said:

I don't get the "no more crew firemen".  All the crew who work as firemen are fire trained.  Are they going to bring firemen onboard whose sole job is firefighting?   So, they will sit around and twiddle their thumbs otherwise?

On 9/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, yogimax said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  It makes no sense unless the firefighters have another job as well.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:24 PM, John&LaLa said:

After the Forrestal fire/explosion killed all the damage control and firemen, the Navy required all seamen to undergo fire training.  Seems odd that Royal would change course

This does make little sense to me, especially in a time when they are reducing crew quarter sharing.  Bringing on "firemen" to do only that would be a waste of space and money.  There is generally a "Firefighter" onboard, a 2 or 2.5 stripe position filled by a trained shore firefighter, whose job is to train the crew, maintain the firefighting equipment, and lead the "attack team" into a fire.  The vast majority of crew have little firefighting training.  According to STCW, hotel crew on international flag cruise ships only require a 4 hour "personal safety and social conscience" training, which barely covers how to use a fire extinguisher.  The crew assigned to fireteams get weekly training, in addition to the weekly crew drill.

I can see some of the deck/engine reductions, though it means more work and less time to keep everything running, so the goal of 0% downtime for any equipment, whether technical or hotel, may not be attainable any longer.

Without a galley utility supervisor, I see more failing scores on USPH inspections, as this is what this position exists for, keeping the galley utilities (dishwashers, etc) up to speed on USPH protocols.  Same with bar utilities, I expect more observations on inspections relating to bars.  To put a blanket number of 20 hotel utilities added to each ship is silly, larger ships need more and smaller ships would need less.  20 "sanitizer utility" is worthless.

Reducing some levels of middle management would not affect service, and may improve it.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

This does make little sense to me, especially in a time when they are reducing crew quarter sharing.  Bringing on "firemen" to do only that would be a waste of space and money.  There is generally a "Firefighter" onboard, a 2 or 2.5 stripe position filled by a trained shore firefighter, whose job is to train the crew, maintain the firefighting equipment, and lead the "attack team" into a fire.  The vast majority of crew have little firefighting training.  According to STCW, hotel crew on international flag cruise ships only require a 4 hour "personal safety and social conscience" training, which barely covers how to use a fire extinguisher.  The crew assigned to fireteams get weekly training, in addition to the weekly crew drill.

I can see some of the deck/engine reductions, though it means more work and less time to keep everything running, so the goal of 0% downtime for any equipment, whether technical or hotel, may not be attainable any longer.

Without a galley utility supervisor, I see more failing scores on USPH inspections, as this is what this position exists for, keeping the galley utilities (dishwashers, etc) up to speed on USPH protocols.  Same with bar utilities, I expect more observations on inspections relating to bars.  To put a blanket number of 20 hotel utilities added to each ship is silly, larger ships need more and smaller ships would need less.  20 "sanitizer utility" is worthless.

Reducing some levels of middle management would not affect service, and may improve it.

Thank you for your response. I understand you are experienced and well respected. I have a question for you. Do you think they are allowing 20 hotel utilities because they have 4-6 ships in mind to start sailing with these rules? I was thinking about the number of Doctors per ship and wondering where they would come from. Then I realized Royal has around 25 or so ships, so they could pull them from the ships not sailing.

9 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

Thank you for your response. I understand you are experienced and well respected. I have a question for you. Do you think they are allowing 20 hotel utilities because they have 4-6 ships in mind to start sailing with these rules? I was thinking about the number of Doctors per ship and wondering where they would come from. Then I realized Royal has around 25 or so ships, so they could pull them from the ships not sailing.

I believe the doctors will be both those who have worked previously for RCI, and new ones, who have different skill sets.  As for the 20 hotel utilities, not sure your question regarding them.  Hotel utes are entry level jobs, so they can fill those with just about anyone.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe the doctors will be both those who have worked previously for RCI, and new ones, who have different skill sets.  As for the 20 hotel utilities, not sure your question regarding them.  Hotel utes are entry level jobs, so they can fill those with just about anyone.

Sorry about the confusing question. You pointed out the fact that "a blanket number of 20 hotel utilities added to each ship is silly, larger ships need more and smaller ships would need less". That made me wonder if they are only going to start with a certain class (size) of ships, at least in the beginning. (I'm booked on Harmony in Nov. and Mariner in December. That's why I'm so curious.)

19 hours ago, PaulS said:

I think it is interesting that these crew changes are listed as for both NCL and RCL. I know they worked together on the Healthy Sail Panel, but those recommendations did not address what positions would be changed or eliminated. If the two lines are implementing the same crew changes does anyone think that may mean there is going to be an even closer arrangement? Maybe a merger

The first step for a merger has been made with the Healthy Sail Panel, hence we might really see RCL taking over the NCL brand in the future. But since both brands serve the same market, NCL would eventually disapear and be fully integrated to RCL. Nevertheless until this would happen including amplification of ships we are years away if this will ever happen at all. But as it will be, some things might get better, some worse.

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

The first step for a merger has been made with the Healthy Sail Panel, hence we might really see RCL taking over the NCL brand in the future. But since both brands serve the same market, NCL would eventually disapear and be fully integrated to RCL. Nevertheless until this would happen including amplification of ships we are years away if this will ever happen at all. But as it will be, some things might get better, some worse.

I don't see any indication that the Healthy Sail Panel is leading to a merger.  The CDC wanted a united front from the lines, and the panel gave that.  The panel's report is a set of recommendations, where, if adopted, each cruise line is required to make a company specific action/response plan that incorporates these recommendations into concrete, precise actions.  This crew restructuring, if accurate, is likely one cruise line's plan for crew, but there is no indication that it is for both lines, even though the panel is headed by both lines.

14 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Thanks for your post Jules. Keep us updated.

I find it interesting reading people's interpretations of various job titles.

Like "restaurant steward"?  A job title that doesn't exist on RCI?  What other title was being interpreted?