Favorite Detailed "Live" Princess Cruise Reports

barbpretz

One way I'm (barely) surviving this stretch of time when I can't cruise is by reliving other people's cruises through their Cruise Critic reports.  My favorite so far is Ellie1145's "Come Sail with me on a Virtual Cruise on Majestic Princess to Fiji".  Even though she is still writing (and I hope she'll post about other cruises when this one is finished), I need more recommendations.  I prefer a lengthy (the longer the better), detailed report that walks me through an entire cruise with tons of pictures of the ship, food, drinks, ports, etc.  I love to feel like I am almost there with the writer!  I'd prefer Princess cruises (since I have FCC's, so I'll likely cruise on Princess next), but other cruise lines would be ok as well.  They don't have to be recent, but witty and fun would be the best.

Here are reports I've enjoyed so far:

Ellie1145 – “Come sail with me on a virtual cruise on Majestic Princess to Fiji”

OzKiwiJJ – “Let’s go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise”

Twangster – “Fake, Made-up and completely impossible virtual cruise trip report”

ScubacruiserX2 – “Live virtual transatlantic on the Regal”

LittleMissMagic – “LMM’s Harmony of the Seas Christmas Cruise”

Sid_9169 – “Horizon/Live/Solo – Sep 21-29-2019”

Thanks for helping me to get through the time until we can all safely cruise again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan at all of the "virtual" re-hashes ... sorry

but enjoyed and followed actual "live" threads from ColoCruiser on the SKY TA and any live from by Woobstr112G - really like their posting styles that don't overwhelm with endless photos, but just enough and allow time for comments between postings

just my style, and I know that is not possible, at least for a while longer ..

Thanks, voljeep - that's exactly what I had in mind!  We may not be able to do truly live cruises, but reading previous live threads is as close as I'm going to get for a while.

I hope that other people will post their favorites (and/or also brag about their own previous live threads - that's totally legit and welcome!).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Not "Live" but (tongue in cheek) reviews many have enjoyed. Not Ready for Primetime Reviews by SailorJack. (Copied from his sig line.)

6 hours ago, MustangGT said:

I agree with Thrak!!  Love any reports from Sailor Jack!!

I agree. Any review by Sailor Jack is worth reading. Usually very funny while being informative.

2 hours ago, jill1349 said:

I recommend Pescado Amarillo's blogs - she spent many winters at sea on Princess and her blog is witty, fun, informative and has a lot of pictures.   

Agree here also. Always get great first hand information.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 8:32 PM, barbpretz said:

One way I'm (barely) surviving this stretch of time when I can't cruise is by reliving other people's cruises through their Cruise Critic reports.  My favorite so far is Ellie1145's "Come Sail with me on a Virtual Cruise on Majestic Princess to Fiji".  Even though she is still writing (and I hope she'll post about other cruises when this one is finished), I need more recommendations.  I prefer a lengthy (the longer the better), detailed report that walks me through an entire cruise with tons of pictures of the ship, food, drinks, ports, etc.  I love to feel like I am almost there with the writer!  I'd prefer Princess cruises (since I have FCC's, so I'll likely cruise on Princess next), but other cruise lines would be ok as well.  They don't have to be recent, but witty and fun would be the best.

Hi barbpretz, I’ve just seen your thread and I thought I’d just thank you for your kind words about my Majestic Princess Fiji virtual cruise (with Singapore and Sydney thrown in for good measure!). I am so glad to hear that you have enjoyed it and you have been able to imagine you are almost there with us. I was surprised at the number of people who really got into the swing of it.

I have only just finished this thread and was absolutely astonished at how many views it got (over 67,198 to date with 1766 replies). I replied to each and every comment that was made, and really enjoyed doing that. It helped keep me focused. It’s been such enormous fun to do, and although it has taken me 4 months to complete it, I know that many people have enjoyed sailing along with us, and for some it has been a way of passing the time. I know that I am missing the wonderful dialogue we have had over the last 4 months.

Of course, not everyone enjoys a very wordy and photo heavy report, and some only like ones that are not, as Voljeep puts it, ‘virtual rehashes.’ Unfortunately, ‘live’ reports are going to be few and far between for quite some time. I know I couldn’t do one myself as we are always too busy, and with us having to travel so far to enjoy cruising I would not inflict it on my very understanding DH. So for me, a ‘virtual rehash’ is all I can manage. But judging by the number of people who are asking me to do another one it must suit some people! But that is the beauty of Cruise Critic, there is something for everyone. Nobody has to read anything they don’t enjoy and there is always something which fits the bill.

I must admit I have great admiration for the lady and gentleman on the MSC ship who recently did a ‘live’ report (well as live as it can be, unless you walk round with a laptop writing all day!). I really enjoyed reading it, and thank them so much for spending time doing it as I think we are all desperate to see what cruising could be like as a result of the pandemic.

So will I be doing another one? Yes, I’ve already started preparing it and there will be lots of words and oodles of photos I’m afraid. But if you are interested, it will be on Ruby Princess to Hawaii, which we experienced in April 2019, and had an absolutely whale of a time. I’m hoping to start posting next week, once I have sorted out all my photos. So watch this space!

I know that I have enjoyed some wonderful reports on CC but sadly I can’t remember who they were by. Before we visited Singapore for the second time I read a report by a lady who travelled by Singapore Airlines on her own, and who recommended their amazing Explorer Pass, something which we later purchased and which was an absolute boon. I loved every minute of her report and devoured it daily. I also picked up lots of useful information and that’s what I hope my report has done. I know that it has inspired some to put Fiji and Singapore on their Bucket List, and I hope that some of my descriptions will help those looking to the future.

I also enjoyed the reports of two couples who did several Holland America World Cruises. I loved their descriptions of what they did each day, especially finding out all about how they grew plants on their window ledge.

I enjoyed the many reports by a lady on the Carnival Board who had a delightful little girl who cruised with her and her husband, and her older children, on many ships.

There was also a gentleman who travelled on several ships (Celebrity Silhouette for one) with his mum and his partner and he posted some wonderful photos.

I do apologise for not being able to remember their names. However, I do know that when I have time I will be reading Pescado Amarillo’s blog and enjoying it enormously.

Sadly, for most of us, reliving previous adventures is all we can do for the time being. But hopefully one day we can all get back to ‘real’ cruising.

So thank you everyone who has given me so much pleasure over the years reliving their cruises. I look forward to reading many more in the future when I have time.

• Like 2

Back in the day Pia1913 did some great "Live from".  Love that 5pm, or 4pm, or.......was Wine time , LOL

WinksCruises is a total hoot.  love following Mr & Mrs Winks.

I saw someone mention LittleMissMagic. Her and her family Reviews are great.

Also love Bimmer as well.  

Years ago there was a great Carnival group and Host Randy and Chris (GoingCruisin) was part of them. Saints-N-Sinners.  Their Live reviews were hysterical 

Edited by nycruiser2006
  • Like 1

More than 8 years later, I still think that DeLoreanGirl's British Isles write up was one of the best (extremely well written and informative) that I've ever read on cruise critic.  We used lots of her recommendations for independent excursions in 2013.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2020 at 8:13 PM, Thrak said:

Thank you so much for these links.  SailorJack is exactly who came to mind for me!

10 hours ago, nycruiser2006 said:

Back in the day Pia1913 did some great "Live from".  Love that 5pm, or 4pm, or.......was Wine time , LOL

So nice to be remembered.  Thank you.  Life changes made me quit doing LIVES, but still trying to cruise as much as possible.  Yesterday Star cancelled my Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and a few hours later I was booked on the Sky.  As for "wine time," still going strong.  Virtually.  🙂

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pia1913 said:

So nice to be remembered.  Thank you.  Life changes made me quit doing LIVES, but still trying to cruise as much as possible.  Yesterday Star cancelled my Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and a few hours later I was booked on the Sky.  As for "wine time," still going strong.  Virtually.  🙂

Pia, just love to hear this.   Is there a way to email you?  I have a question for you but don't want to post it here.  Do you know how to send that to me through CC privately?

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, nycruiser2006 said:

Pia, just love to hear this.   Is there a way to email you?  I have a question for you but don't want to post it here.  Do you know how to send that to me through CC privately?

Thanks in advance

No clue about sending thru CC, but you can send mail to my screen name at hotmail.

I agree about the British Isles report. I can't remember the guy's name, but another person whose threads I've enjoyed is the young gay man who travels with his husband and posts great photos.

I hope that my live threads are helpful. Lately, I've always tried to include photos of the Patters and menus in them. And I always try to answer people's questions whenever possible. I've even told specific crew members "hi" for people. Sometimes I've received a blank stare back, but I don't report that.

17 hours ago, geoherb said:

I agree about the British Isles report. I can't remember the guy's name, but another person whose threads I've enjoyed is the young gay man who travels with his husband and posts great photos.

I hope that my live threads are helpful. Lately, I've always tried to include photos of the Patters and menus in them. And I always try to answer people's questions whenever possible. I've even told specific crew members "hi" for people. Sometimes I've received a blank stare back, but I don't report that.

I very much enjoy your reviews as well!  Thank you.

Like many of us beached sailors, I have been living on old cruise blogs.   Currently following Ellie’s Hawaii cruise, and I am half way through the 2018 world cruise on the Pacific Princess with “Round  the World Writter”.   As I was reading the WC blog, I remarked to myself that this lady is an excellent writer.  It turns out she is a prolific author of romantic historical novels (mercifully, she does not do her travel blogs in romantic novel style).

I have also enjoys Roy’s Grand Voyages, although usually on HAL and Crystal.  I look forward to tracking down some of the ideas mentioned in this thread. 

7 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

Like many of us beached sailors, I have been living on old cruise blogs.   Currently following Ellie’s Hawaii cruise, and I am half way through the 2018 world cruise on the Pacific Princess with “Round  the World Writter”.   As I was reading the WC blog, I remarked to myself that this lady is an excellent writer.  It turns out she is a prolific author of romantic historical novels (mercifully, she does not do her travel blogs in romantic novel style).

I have also enjoys Roy’s Grand Voyages, although usually on HAL and Crystal.  I look forward to tracking down some of the ideas mentioned in this thread. 

Great to hear you are following along with us on the Hawaiian cruise. 

We are about to go into lockdown again here in the UK, for at least a month, so writing this blog is going to be a lifeline for me, too. I miss cruising so much, but writing the blog has given me a purpose to each day.