Guess the ship...

Despegue

1 hour ago, cccole said:

So interesting to see these ships without a dark blue hull.  When did HAL adopt the dark blue hull as a signature feature?  Also, even with the tugs these two ships seem awfully close together.  Cherie

The gull gray hull color was introduced by HAL to their ships in 1956 and lasted fifteen years with the change to what is now known as "Nieuw Amsterdam blue" occurring in the last half of 1971. It coincided with a new house flag and logo which was the three stylized waves on an orange background, soon acquiring the nickname of the "three slugs" because folks felt that's what they looked like. 

Interestingly enough, "the Darling of the Dutch" (Nieuw Amsterdam II from 1938) was allowed to remain in her gray hull colors with the yellow funnel and green-white-green (the latter being the official colors of the city of Rotterdam) until her retirement in 1973.

As far as Nieuw A II and Rotterdam V being close together, me thinks that's more of an optical Aleutian 😉 

Coat of arms of Rotterdam

Seal and official colors (green-white-green) of the city of Rotterdam, the city's motto "Sterker door Strijd" meaning "Stronger through Battle or Struggle"

HAL House flag 1971-1983.gif

HAL RTDM V #3.jpg

HAL RTDM V in Alaska #2.jpg

Rotterdam V in gray and dark blue hull colors

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes, it is Koningsdam. The photo does not do justice to the original. I love the old liner and the chaplinesque figure in this. There is great modern art on KDM.

Inspired by René Magritte actually.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Not sure which specific ship, but it’s a Vista class vessel BEFORE the stern refit was done.

That is correct and (here's the big clue) it's not Zuidy, Oostie or Westie

Edited by Copper10-8

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

That is correct and (here's the big clue) it's not Zuidy, Oostie or Westie

Then it has to be the Noddy Noordy - lol!  She was my first Dam ship and was still in her launch configuration. It was my first time on HAL, first time to Alaska and I was in a deck 6 Signature Suite - talk about being spoiled!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Then it has to be the Noddy Noordy - lol!  She was my first Dam ship and was still in her launch configuration. It was my first time on HAL, first time to Alaska and I was in a deck 6 Signature Suite - talk about being spoiled!

Yes, Winner! 🙂 In the pic, a Coastie (USCG) rescue-swimmer (one of the toughest training courses to successfully complete) is being winched down from a Sikorsky MH-60T Jayhawk from USCG Air Station Sitka, AK to Noordam's aft deck on 15 May 2007 for a medevac while the ship found herself sailing in Alaska's Chatham Strait

An MH-60 Jayhawk crew from Coast Guard Air Station Sitka carries out training in Juneau, Alaska, June 26, 2018. (Petty Officer 1st Class Jon-Paul Rios | U.S. Coast Guard)

11863318_1041745275843162_8168413634729530452_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=ba80b0&_nc_ohc=yCO4gp9_FakAX_qKFEg&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=ed4edb7ea32c1ffd79c3e9079a304cad&oe=5FA8125F

13342896_1231075490243472_7102524199206403505_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=yBE4k_svLZQAX9a-PY1&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=65be67f597020a68e08d6448f5480bbd&oe=5FA9DE2F

United States Coast Guard Aviation - USCG Air Station Sitka, AK.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, Winner! 🙂 In the pic, a Coastie (USCG) rescue-swimmer (one of the toughest training courses to successfully complete) is being winched down from a Sikorsky MH-60T Jayhawk from USCG Air Station Sitka, AK to Noordam's aft deck on 15 May 2007 for a medevac while the ship found herself sailing in Alaska's Chatham Strait

Those swimmers from Sitka and Kodiak are some of the toughest men I know.

But I'll never tell them that.  😁😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Those swimmers from Sitka and Kodiak are some of the toughest men I know.

But I'll never tell them that.  😁😉

Did any female applicants pass that course yet as far as you know? More power to them if they did; stud muffins! 

12 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Did any female applicants pass that course yet as far as you know? More power to them if they did; stud muffins! 

Oh, heck yeah.  I had to look up the history, but the first female to graduate the course was back in 1976.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The gull gray hull color was introduced by HAL to their ships in 1956 and lasted fifteen years with the change to what is now known as "Nieuw Amsterdam blue" occurring in the last half of 1971. It coincided with a new house flag and logo which was the three stylized waves on an orange background, soon acquiring the nickname of the "three slugs" because folks felt that's what they looked like. 

Interestingly enough, "the Darling of the Dutch" (Nieuw Amsterdam II from 1938) was allowed to remain in her gray hull colors with the yellow funnel and green-white-green (the latter being the official colors of the city of Rotterdam) until her retirement in 1973.

As far as Nieuw A II and Rotterdam V being close together, me thinks that's more of an optical Aleutian 😉 

Coat of arms of Rotterdam

Seal and official colors (green-white-green) of the city of Rotterdam, the city's motto "Sterker door Strijd" meaning "Stronger through Battle or Struggle"

HAL RTDM V #3.jpg

HAL RTDM V in Alaska #2.jpg

Rotterdam V in gray and dark blue hull colors

Thanks Copper 10-8 for the info on the hull colors.  The seal of Rotterdam is indeed impressive. Hopefully it will be exhibited somewhere  on the new ship.  And I will be watchful for optical Aleutians!  Thanks again, Cherie

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

Yes - Nieuw Amsterdam getting new boilers  (which, if memory serves, she got from a US Naval ship)

Right. It was done in 1967 at Wilton-Fijenoord shipyard in Schiedam , the Netherlands. They were shipped to the yard on the HAL freighter Schiedijk .

19 hours ago, cccole said:

Thanks Copper 10-8 for the info on the hull colors.  The seal of Rotterdam is indeed impressive. Hopefully it will be exhibited somewhere  on the new ship.  And I will be watchful for optical Aleutians!  Thanks again, Cherie

The seal of the the city of Rotterdam is displayed here on the biggest hand painted banner ever to used in a football (soccer) stadium in Europe. It measured 105 by 50 meters and was completely handmade ( I know, I worked on it...). It was displayed before the cup game between the eternal rivals Feyenoord of Rotterdam and Ajax from amsterdam in october 2015. Feyenoord won the game ;-).

As you can see , my avatar also displays this seal. This one in the tunnel before players reach the pitch in the Feyenoord stadium in Rotterdam. If you're ever in Rotterdam again, do a stadium tour !

DSC_0220.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

The seal of the the city of Rotterdam is displayed here on the biggest hand painted banner ever to used in a football (soccer) stadium in Europe. It measured 105 by 50 meters and was completely handmade ( I know, I worked on it...). It was displayed before the cup game between the eternal rivals Feyenoord of Rotterdam and Ajax from amsterdam in october 2015. Feyenoord won the game ;-).

As you can see , my avatar also displays this seal. This one in the tunnel before players reach the pitch in the Feyenoord stadium in Rotterdam. If you're ever in Rotterdam again, do a stadium tour !

DSC_0220.jpeg

I like the one from Den Haag better..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

DSC_0220.jpeg

I remember doing a stadium tour of the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam (sorry 😬).  There was a pretty nice restaurant that looked out at pitch level .

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I like the one from Den Haag better..

They do some nice pre-match actions as well.  Thanks to stopping the league last march (due to corona) they didn't relegate...

Three weeks ago Feyenoord -ADO Den Haag 4-2 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I remember doing a stadium tour of the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam (sorry 😬).  There was a pretty nice restaurant that looked out at pitch level .

Olympic Stadium is not used for league football anymore, just athletic games and sometime amateurs play friendly games there.

• Like 1