Guess the ship...

Despegue

11 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Maybe it is a “language “ thing , but why are most ( non- Dutch) people referring to the ships as “ Rotterdam, Veendam etc. “ instead of THE Rotterdam and THE Veendam . Onboard            ( remember when) , when the CD makes an announcement they say , for instance, activities happening on Rotterdam today . When the captain makes his announcement he always says THE Rotterdam.

Same with the name of the company, it is Holland America Line , not Holland America or , even worse, just Holland .

So ,  I p*ssed my vinegar for today 😉

I smiled when I read your post!  For years, I thought I could tell who was Dutch by these same words.  A really grand couple sat next to us in the MDR on the Volendam 2 years ago.  They were in their 80's, and had the late assigned seating as did we.  They were polite and obviously enjoyed the late sitting with its more relaxed service and fewer guests.  Most nights we exchanged pleasantries.  I knew they were Dutch.  When the conversation turned to the ships, it was always The Volendam and Holland America Line. Their speech was a bit halting, but very well spoken and said.  You can sense the pride they had for the company.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Prinsendam would be my guess based on lifeboat placement and balcony design

Winner! 🙂 Back in April 2008, Prinsendam, on one of her Grand Voyages, entered the "high risk" pirate zone off the Horn of Africa enroute to the Red Sea and Suez Canal. She was not the only ship far from home in that area. Radio contact was made with the Royal Netherlands Navy air defense frigate Hr Ms (Hare Majesteit Schip /Her Majesty's Ship) Evertsen F805 (named after Dutch 17th Century Admiral Johan Evertsen) which was part of an international task force on anti-pirate patrol in the Indian Ocean. Evertsen is home ported in the main Dutch naval base of Den Helder in the far northwest of the country

The two ships rendezvoused and conducted helicopter medevac training using the Evertsen's Westland Lynx shipboard helo. Both ships then sailed in very close proximity of each other for a while (photographed by the crew of the Lynx), giving Prinsendam's pax and Evertsen's crew lots of photo ops, until Evertsen's captain, Kapitein-Luitenant ter Zee / Commander Rob Kramer (1st pic center greyish hair/sunglasses), sped up and peeled off to port leaving the elegant explorer on her journey but staying within sailing distance of her, should she needed assistance to fend off any Somali pirates, which she did not    

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa #2.jpg

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa #4.JPG

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa #5.jpg

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa #8.JPG

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa #10A.jpg

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa #20.JPG

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa #28.JPG

HAL PRDM II & Hr Ms Evertsen F-805 APR 08 Horn of Africa.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@Copper10-8 Thanks for that fascinating bit of HAL history.  Your depth of knowledge, and detail, are truly an asset to these forums!

Absolutely he is.

I've seen these pics before, either on CC or another HAL site. That must have been a once in lifetime event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Winner! 🙂 Back in April 2008, Prinsendam, on one of her Grand Voyages, entered the "high risk" pirate zone off the Horn of Africa enroute to the Red Sea and Suez Canal. She was not the only ship far from home in that area. Radio contact was made with the Royal Netherlands Navy air defense frigate Hr Ms (Hare Majesteit Schip /Her Majesty's Ship) Evertsen F805 (named after Dutch 17th Century Admiral Johan Evertsen) which was part of an international task force on anti-pirate patrol in the Indian Ocean. Evertsen is home ported in the main Dutch naval base of Den Helder in the far northwest of the country

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing. 

Slightly off topic, but I got to spend some time on one of those Dutch frigates.  Single person berthing with their own heads...the cabins were set up like on a cruise ship.  Nice lounge and bar area.  Minimal crew.  Those sailors have it good.  Impressive ships!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing. 

Slightly off topic, but I got to spend some time on one of those Dutch frigates.  Single person berthing with their own heads...the cabins were set up like on a cruise ship.  Nice lounge and bar area.  Minimal crew.  Those sailors have it good.  Impressive ships!

Must have been in the Carib with their station ship based there 😉 Curacao?

4 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Nieuw Amsterdam of 1937!  It's been a while since I looked at pictures of the two vessels and while very different in decor, the layout/proportions of the spaces have similarities.  Both were works of art!

Winner! Nice job! 🙂 This is the main dining room of "the Darling of the Dutch," the Ship of State, Nieuw Amsterdam (1938-1973) (with Rotterdam V in the pic) departing New York City/Hoboken, NJ

Holland America Line - Nieuw Amsterdam II & Rotterdam V.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Winner! Nice job! 🙂 This is the main dining room of "the Darling of the Dutch," the Ship of State, Nieuw Amsterdam (1938-1973) (with Rotterdam V in the pic) departing New York City/Hoboken, NJ

Holland America Line - Nieuw Amsterdam II & Rotterdam V.jpg

So interesting to see these ships without a dark blue hull.  When did HAL adopt the dark blue hull as a signature feature?  Also, even with the tugs these two ships seem awfully close together.  Cherie