Jump to content

This Does Not Work For Me: Free Roam Port Ban


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

While policies differ, most cancel for any reason policies have to be purchased between 24 hours and 31 days after putting deposit down.  Unless Anyislandwilldo meets this criteria cfar insurance can't be added onto an existing policy, or be bought after whatever time period the travel insurance company allows.

 

  

5 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

We have a B2B booked in Jan 2021.  We will not get on the ship and wear a mask and pay for Carnival excursions in the port.  We like being able to go and roam on our own.  I'm praying they cancel my cruises.  They already canceled my March 2022 cruise???

 

True that most policies have restrictions. As with any insurance, know what you are buying. One obvious choice for CFAR insurance is to purchase Carnival insurance which is group coverage. Carnival includes CFAR coverage for up to 75% cost (last I checked) of the cruise and can be purchased up to final payment. It is a FCC not cash back.

 

Another option is Nationwide Luxury cruise insurance to which you can add CFAR and can be purchased up to final payment date (unless they have recently changed)

 

Other things to check are pre-existing conditions, operator default, etc.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

 

  

 

True that most policies have restrictions. As with any insurance, know what you are buying. One obvious choice for CFAR insurance is to purchase Carnival insurance which is group coverage. Carnival includes CFAR coverage for up to 75% cost (last I checked) of the cruise and can be purchased up to final payment. It is a FCC not cash back.

 

Another option is Nationwide Luxury cruise insurance to which you can add CFAR and can be purchased up to final payment date (unless they have recently changed)

 

Other things to check are pre-existing conditions, operator default, etc.

 

 

Pre-existing conditions coverage is a biggie.  Most policies I have checked will cover them if purchased within 14 days of deposit.  Carnival's coverage does not cover pre-existing conditions, which is why I have never purchased from them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Pre-existing conditions coverage is a biggie.  Most policies I have checked will cover them if purchased within 14 days of deposit.  Carnival's coverage does not cover pre-existing conditions, which is why I have never purchased from them.

That was also a big reason that I purchase outside of Carnival and that our health insurance doesn't cover anything outside the US so we needed primary medical.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am ok with a restriction on excursion while things get back up and running.   Its going to be a cautious road for a bit for the cruiselines and they dont want to make a mistake that could cause another stop in cruising.

 

We have 2 next year...march and august.   We also have 800 in OBC for the march and 630 OBC for the august...all from carnival.   So if they are requiring their own excursions, we already have a great chunk of money, provided by them to start.   We would do 2 excursions at the most and the rest of the time on the ship, we enjoy port days on the ship already.

 

It will all get back to normal, just have to ride the wave (so to speak) to get there.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how everyone followed the msc cruises for the last month or so, and now all the sudden when it looks like the no sail order might expire and their cruises actually go they are in a panic. It's not like they didnt see what msc was doing or could be surprised.

 

I signed up for the cheaper fast test on their link. Though I plan to get vaccinated asap. Everyone couldn't wait and now that its almost time, they are like hey not me. The protocols cant be that big of a surprise folks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 12:00 PM, BlerkOne said:

I doubt they will go up.

 

One of the more popular reasons for not taking ship excursions is they can be crowded. That often isn't my experience, but they certainly won't be going forward for a while. I expect the excursions will be run more frequently will smaller numbers of people so that can maintain distancing and some level of control.

 

 

 

 

I absolutely agree with this. They will probably contact more local vendors and have staggered times for excursions. Im already seeing evidence of this on 2 upcoming cruises of mine in the Caribbean for RCCL. RCCL is having a lot of 25% off for the excursions. I am one who rents a car and drives around or contacts small group vendors for snorkeling trips. I do not like crowds or the inevitable bathroom and shopping breaks. I dont like being on active ship or private excursions such as hiking or snorkeling with people who cant walk up one flight of steps. But this ship sponsored will not be forever. I honestly dont mind and will go along as long as the excursions are properly socially distanced with a few people per van...etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I love how everyone followed the msc cruises for the last month or so, and now all the sudden when it looks like the no sail order might expire and their cruises actually go they are in a panic. It's not like they didnt see what msc was doing or could be surprised.

 

I signed up for the cheaper fast test on their link. Though I plan to get vaccinated asap. Everyone couldn't wait and now that its almost time, they are like hey not me. The protocols cant be that big of a surprise folks. 

what link are you talking about for fast test??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

what link are you talking about for fast test??

Someone posted it on a rcl thread when they said test within 5 days of cruise, so I immediately signed up for the rapid test in my area. It said they will send me a testing site within a couple of weeks. I'm in dallas so I'm sure testing sites should be plenty but results are slow so I signed up for the fast one.

 

 

20200928_112440.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I love how everyone followed the msc cruises for the last month or so, and now all the sudden when it looks like the no sail order might expire and their cruises actually go they are in a panic. It's not like they didnt see what msc was doing or could be surprised.

 

I signed up for the cheaper fast test on their link. Though I plan to get vaccinated asap. Everyone couldn't wait and now that its almost time, they are like hey not me. The protocols cant be that big of a surprise folks. 

 

It's not for sure yet if the rapid test will be suitable if they require a negative COvid19 test within 3-5 days prior to embarkation, or if they will want the molecular test.   I certainly hope so!

 

baf

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bafinegan said:

 

It's not for sure yet if the rapid test will be suitable if they require a negative COvid19 test within 3-5 days prior to embarkation, or if they will want the molecular test.   I certainly hope so!

 

baf

That one is hard here to get results back in time.

 

I postponed my feb b2b just last thursday ... just in case., worried I cant get a test before 2nd leg. 

 

April next up so i have lots of time

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Someone posted it on a rcl thread when they said test within 5 days of cruise, so I immediately signed up for the rapid test in my area. It said they will send me a testing site within a couple of weeks. I'm in dallas so I'm sure testing sites should be plenty but results are slow so I signed up for the fast one.

 

 

20200928_112440.jpg

Thx!!  I will need one for my rccl cruise out of san juan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Someone posted it on a rcl thread when they said test within 5 days of cruise, so I immediately signed up for the rapid test in my area. It said they will send me a testing site within a couple of weeks. I'm in dallas so I'm sure testing sites should be plenty but results are slow so I signed up for the fast one.

 

 

20200928_112440.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. I will be in Florida for the month before my next cruise which is not where I normally live so I’ve been wondering how I will be able to get tested. This looks like an option. 
 

I would prefer to not go on ship sponsored excursions, but it is not a deal breaker. We have done a few that were really excellent—Grand Turk in particular. My cruise scheduled for Feb goes to Key West (in theory) where I don’t plan to get off anyway and Cozumel. We loveSafe Tours Cozumel or going to Nachi, but I am sure we will find something to do. The thing I am not looking forward to is walking around in the heat of Coz wearing a mask. Blech.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we are not ship excursion type of people, we usually book our own or just run around with the locals, but if this is what is needed for a short time to get the ships sailing again I'm all in, although I may not leave the ship.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like 2020 and maybe 2021 is the year of all inclusive resorts.

I wouldn't want to waste my vacation days on:

1) a cruise to nowhere (sea days only)

and

2) visiting a port where things are so restricted!

 

No thanks ill pass on that. Not my idea of a vacation. I will cruise whenever the world is ready. 

Edited by Georgie562
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 4:08 PM, Georgie562 said:

Looks like 2020 and maybe 2021 is the year of all inclusive resorts.

I wouldn't want to waste my vacation days on:

1) a cruise to nowhere (sea days only)

and

2) visiting a port where things are so restricted!

 

No thanks ill pass on that. Not my idea of a vacation. I will cruise whenever the world is ready. 

Cruises to nowhere arent allowed out of USA so we know they wouldn't happen, restricted and changed ports I expect to be the new norm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Cruises to nowhere arent allowed out of USA so we know they wouldn't happen, restricted and changed ports I expect to be the new norm. 

 

so what happens if mid cruise all ports decide to close to cruise ship passengers because another outbreak occurs?

 

does it not technically turn into a cruise to nowhere?

that is what I meant don't want to board a ship and then mid cruise end up going no where. 

Edited by Georgie562
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

 

so what happens if mid cruise all ports decide to close to cruise ship passengers because another outbreak occurs?

 

does it not technically turn into a cruise to nowhere?

that is what I meant don't want to board a ship and then mid cruise end up going no where. 

Personally I was proactive and moved my jan and feb cruises to later dates, now I'm all jammed up with cruises from dec 21 to march 22, but my first cruise is April 25th and I plan on trying to be vaccinated by then. As a senior I should be able to I think. 

 

I have done a cruise to nowhere and they charge taxes on purchases, lol, has to hit a foreign port. Unusual but it was due to a hurricane. If you read my prior posts, I also missed 2 out of 3 ports. You get port fees refunded for those, that's it. Spent a extra night in cozumel because hurricane Ike took a last minute dog leg and took us to new orleans, not Galveston. People above said well I knew it was hurricane season from april to November. 

 

Covid is no different. Things might or might not happen. Covid might be here 5 years. It's your choice to go or not and take your chances. You very well might miss ports or have switched ports. I suspect a lot of people wouldnt cruise and demand will be down. Carnival and princess and some others are offering big incentives to cruise. After that prices will drop. Imo. Demand to fly is down too. 

 

Some of us die hard will take advantage of the incentives and good prices. But I've been to the ports before. I'd rather sea days, so missing a port, great refund of port fees, more obc to spend. Not everyone sails to sail, I do. I dont care how many ports get switched or missed. I want my loyalty pts while the deals are good. 

 

Only you can decide if ports matter. It's your choice. I did push my cruise dates back, because I'm a senior. I will take precautions but I will go as soon as I'm vaccinated. Others sooner I hope.

 

Ps there are some utube videos with tips for those who want to cruise to watch. Suggestions for instance say get a cabin with at least a window, maybe a balcony. My first cruise is a balcony if I get quarantined. As I said I watched and read everything and then did my best to plan. Your choice is not to cruise, it's ok. I want to move up loyalty levels at these cheap prices. Rcl perks are especially good. Imo

Edited by firefly333
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't read all the replies BUt I'm with the Op.

It's a definite deal breaker for me.

Heck, wandering around the ports is about the only exercise I get when on a cruise.

Well that and 12oz curls🤳

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Cruises to nowhere arent allowed out of USA so we know they wouldn't happen, restricted and changed ports I expect to be the new norm. 

They are not per se illegal, but the crew would all need different work permits that would cost the cruise line much money, something they are not interested in doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

 

so what happens if mid cruise all ports decide to close to cruise ship passengers because another outbreak occurs?

 

does it not technically turn into a cruise to nowhere?

that is what I meant don't want to board a ship and then mid cruise end up going no where. 

I believe @chengkp75 has posted that they can get emergency waivers if the cause is weather related or mechanical.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We usually book some excursions with the Cruise line and sometimes we wander around the island on our own. Since I know this is not going to be forever. We will follow the CDC/Carnival guidelines for our 2021 Cruise  if we get to go.  I don't mind being on the ship either, we have 3 sea days and 3 islands.  I really go to relax.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, GLCM GUY said:

We have cruised for decades and have not taken an excursion in years.  We love to wander around on our own.  This may or may not be a deal breaker.  

Same here. We usually get off, walk around for one or two hours. If it has a nice beach and any paddle floating devise, sometimes we do that. If that happens, guess we just say onboard and go to the hot tub or pool. Something we rarely do because of crowing. Guessing we would not be the only ones either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never booked shore excursions through any ships.

Always have more fun with the best experience with the "locals" vs the ship and the crowds

Not only are we basically being told "what we can do" at each island.

Just hoping this changes.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...