Carnival confirms they are not laying off thousands

12 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

What else has he really got going on right now -- this is "for the cause", lol !!

Tom

Luckily most of his work can be done remotely in Hockley and only consists of social media responses and videos. He should head out there for the community and use it as a way to capture engagement and promote excitement for the cruise industry.

No matter what you call it there will be at least 15 less ships sailing when all the ships are back cruising.  The 18 that are being removed from service and the two or three that will be new.  

With an average of 1000 crew members per ship there will be at least 15,000 less positions to fill.

Carnival directly laid off the staff that are Staff operations... Officer levels... because they are on long term contracts.

The rest of the crew members are contract to contract, and Carnival Corp will no longer need to have as many short term contacted laborers. Some of that comes from not recruiting new crew members. Some will be from those who decided not to return to the ship.  The rest will be from the crew members who wanted to return to the ship but Carnival Corp did not chose to give them a new contract.

1 hour ago, bobandsherry said:

I believe the Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corp creates confusion. Carnival Corp is probably laying off thousands. With 18 less ships that's go to be lots of people not needed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I would think they know the difference, so not much confusion there.   The posters here..... maybe they were. 

I think the figures mentioned in the articles are made from whole cloth, but there have been some people who have not had their contracts renewed. With the number of ships leaving the fleet I don't think Carnival will have trouble attracting experienced crew to work the vessels scheduled for the November resumption. Carnival also has ships it can dispatch for crew transportation as air travel has shrunk to 1950 levels. 

Well, this seems somewhat disingenuous to me.  The original reports of 7000 layoffs mentioned "Carnival", without specifying whether that was the cruise line or the parent corporation, and the statement mentioned in the Cruise Industry News article seems to be saying "no, Carnival Cruises is not laying off thousands, since we are only talking about 4 ships, but we won't mention the other 14 ships that the parent company that shares our name will be doing."  It does not deny that there will likely be 7000 less crew across the Carnival Corp umbrella.

It is also disingenuous to say they have only laid off "a small number of shipboard leadership positions", since they have eliminated a couple of thousand crew positions on just the four ships leaving Carnival, but because those crew are not "employees", but contract workers, they are not being "laid off".  Anyone who believes that Carnival will not be hiring several thousand less crew when cruising restarts, is foolish, and anyone who thinks that they may retain this excess crew while attempting to become "leaner and more competitive" also doesn't understand business.

13 hours ago, Moviela said:

I think the figures mentioned in the articles are made from whole cloth, but there have been some people who have not had their contracts renewed. With the number of ships leaving the fleet I don't think Carnival will have trouble attracting experienced crew to work the vessels scheduled for the November resumption. Carnival also has ships it can dispatch for crew transportation as air travel has shrunk to 1950 levels. 

Where are these airfare prices?  Lol.  Mind you I was not around in 50

Actually though, the prices in the 50's were way more than now. My 1955 ticket from Los Angeles to Hong Kong in coach was $850.  It took four days to Island hop across the Pacific. The first leg was 19 hours to Honolulu. Today Air Canada will take you there for $484 in less time than it took to get to Honolulu. 

On 9/27/2020 at 10:14 AM, bobandsherry said:

I believe the Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corp creates confusion. Carnival Corp is probably laying off thousands. With 18 less ships that's go to be lots of people not needed.

Maybe they can reduce staffing and yet not lay off.  As in, not renew contracts.  The contracts run for 9 months, I think.

8 hours ago, dezertcruzer said:

Semantics, if you're the person not being laid off but also not being offered a new contract.  In the end, you're still out of work.

Yeah, I feel like they are definitely ducking the total job loss by stating the number of layoffs only, vs. also including the net number of contract positions not renewed.

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yeah, I feel like they are definitely ducking the total job loss by stating the number of layoffs only, vs. also including the net number of contract positions not renewed.

If they can appease the general public through technicalities and careful word usage, can you really blame them in the current situation though?

Edited by xDisconnections

Their recent press-releases were boring as hell and they were basically repeating themselves over and over. We got it. No cruising till 2021.. or maybe even 2022.  All these companies are interconnected and I doubt that other companies will a press-release any different from the other ones