Christine Duffy's Carnival update 9/28

Cruiseboy06

46 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

We have been to a few restaurants that didn't have any printed menus so you either had to use your phone or go look at the posted one at the entrance.

Must be your location. For some unknown reason when dining, I prefer a printed menu and I’m always given a disposable paper menu upon request. I haven’t found a restaurant yet since the pandemic began that couldn’t accommodate.

In your case, anyone that didn’t have a smartphone would be inconvenienced and hopefully this would serve as another reminder why you should have one.

49 minutes ago, LPYRCRUISER said:

I do not have and will never have a cell phone.  I have taken a stand and will not waiver.  I will not become tethered to a device as I see so many people do.

Then that’s your choice and I’m happy if you’re happy.

I’m a big fan of mobile devices... almost as much as single use disposable plastics.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, frito58 said:

My thing is people cant even follow rules going to the grocery store .... wear a mask . stand  6 feet apart . How are going to follow rules on a ship . They couldnt even follow rules before Covid  like wash your hands before going into the buffet . I  am sure all us of saw many people walk right by the washing stations and go straight in. Yea good luck with having a lot of rules for people to follow. 

To be fair, was the hand washing a rule or more of a recommendation?

So, regarding the menu's.   We just spent three days at Disney and in S. FL.  Better get used to the QR code menu's or bring a friend that has a phone.  Also don't invest in any companies that do printing for national restaurants unless your going to short their stock long term.

Disney has had to remove people who won't wear a mask and make a big scene and as far I am concerned, hopefully they will drop those people off at the next port for refusal of masks or abiding by the rules.  I would bet US laws don't apply to people on the high seas and I hope they play hardball with non-conformers.  The cruise lines long term viability depends on successful cruising without mass infection events and the bad press that comes along with it.  Right now there are many many businesses around Disney and Lake Buena Vista that are gone and will not return.  This includes restaurants, hotels, and even apartment complexes.   It may soon include cruise lines if they can't make a successful go it like Disney has.  

We endured three days of Florida heat last week with temps in the 90s and heat indexes at 102.  Wearing a mask and having a great time is the new norm.   BTW the thinner blue disposable masks are a lot cooler than the bigger ones you may have had your friend make for you.

Cheers,  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

Thank you for posting this .. this was Both informative and interesting messaging.

who was this communication directed to?

was it for TA /and booking partners or everyday cruisers.

The video starts with the "host", a TA, saying that the embedded video edit was obtained from Carnival and sent to TAs and other travel industry professionals - it was not released to the general public.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The video starts with the "host", a TA, saying that the embedded video edit was obtained from Carnival and sent to TAs and other travel industry professionals - it was not released to the general public.

Thanks , I certainly missed that

1 hour ago, bitemyfly said:

Thank you for posting this .. this was Both informative and interesting messaging.

who was this communication directed to?

was it for TA /and booking partners or everyday cruisers.

9 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Agree. This was likely supposed to remain confidential and internal towards Carnival and its affiliates. If this shouldn’t have been shared, well, someone’s agency will probably be contacted by Carnival sometime soon.

If there is anything we have learned from past experiences with Carnival, we know they don’t appreciate their sensitive information being leaked. Anyone remember the VIFP Club incident?

Edited by xDisconnections

10 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It was posted on their TA YouTube channel which isn't secure.

12 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Please give the CDC  definition of recovery or does that just mean that you are still alive?  

Yes, that's it exactly! If your on a ventilator but still have a pulse, the CDC counts you as recovered. 

I'll play along for arguments sake. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html

But honestly, what a foolish question. I'm guessing you dont like/agree with/want to believe these numbers so you attempt these mental gymnastics (insinuating that our top public health agency may be redefining words) that will somehow allow you to align the facts (that the risk this virus poses to healthy people is being exaggerated) to fit your fantasy (that contracting COVID means certain death).

• Like 1

Favorite movie of all time, well that and the Wizard of Oz.

So, I am predicting that the 30th is going to come and go while the no sail order slips quietly into oblivion.  I think they would have extended it already if they were going to.

The question then becomes, Carnival has stipulated that they have cancelled all cruises though October 31st.  IF the ban goes bye bye, do you think they will back peddle and offer up some sooner than November 1st?  I think I have read somewhere where Carnival has said "possibly sooner," does anyone else remember seeing that?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I think I have read somewhere where Carnival has said "possibly sooner," does anyone else remember seeing that?

It has been stated quite a few times by John Heald, and I believe was also stated in the various interviews with Mr. Donald and maybe Ms. Duffy.  But it was more of a "hopefully but no promises" type statement, IMHO, and hope is not a plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Favorite movie of all time, well that and the Wizard of Oz.

So, I am predicting that the 30th is going to come and go while the no sail order slips quietly into oblivion.  I think they would have extended it already if they were going to.

The question then becomes, Carnival has stipulated that they have cancelled all cruises though October 31st.  IF the ban goes bye bye, do you think they will back peddle and offer up some sooner than November 1st?  I think I have read somewhere where Carnival has said "possibly sooner," does anyone else remember seeing that?

I think it will sip by too without any mention. The CDC knows it’s done too much damage targeting this industry, and the port workers protest and the senate return to cruising bill, and everything else reminds them every day. 

Also, one of my favorite movies as well!! 

Edited by MeganGC1983

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

How difficult do you think these rules are going to be? I don’t think the rules are going to be so complicated that passengers won’t understand them and I definitely don’t think passengers are going to have to “study” to comprehend them. The questions in my book is will all the passengers comply with these new rules and will Carnival staff enforce these rules, since they have a long history of not enforcing their own rules. 

Oh my God.  Did you read that I retracted my joke about studying.  You are so maddening the way you take one little thing that someone says that really isn't the point of there post and focus on it.  I do think they will try to enforce the rules.  I just think that if they have one outbreak on a ship it could be the end of Carnival Corporation.  That seems like a pretty big bet, however they are getting to the point where they are running out of options.

2 minutes ago, skridge said:

Oh my God.  Did you read that I retracted my joke about studying.  You are so maddening the way you take one little thing that someone says that really isn't the point of there post and focus on it.  I do think they will try to enforce the rules.  I just think that if they have one outbreak on a ship it could be the end of Carnival Corporation.  That seems like a pretty big bet, however they are getting to the point where they are running out of options.

They don't have the best track record with enforcement. I'm not sure it would be any better even when their entire future depends on it. I hope they get with the program though. We'll see.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, regoodwinjr said:

We have been to a few restaurants that didn't have any printed menus so you either had to use your phone or go look at the posted one at the entrance.

I saw one of those last weekend. They had a QR sticker for you to scan and that brought up the menu.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 10:04 AM, Joebucks said:

The world we live in.

Customers: Why won't they tell us?

Also customers: They promised us! Now it's their fault!

These days, it’s better to under promise and over deliver. With the way the pandemic is and the attention this particular industry has been receiving, it would be suicide for the cruise lines to guarantee anything.

9 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

These days, it’s better to under promise and over deliver. With the way the pandemic is and the attention this particular industry has been receiving, it would be suicide for the cruise lines to guarantee anything.

I think the cruise lines will be able to predict their future a lot more accurately after the election next month. They will either be able to say we will be resuming operations very soon or say it will likely be a long time before cruising resumes from US ports and we will likely declare bankruptcy at some point in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the cruise lines will be able to predict their future a lot more accurately after the election next month. They will either be able to say we will be resuming operations very soon or say it will likely be a long time before cruising resumes from US ports and we will likely declare bankruptcy at some point in the future. 

As much as want to believe politics aren’t a part of a safe return to cruising, we know there is some truth to it. I agree and believe we’ll have a much clearer picture soon.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 9:49 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I wish I could say you were wrong.