Cruise Critic News: How Do Cruise Critic Readers Feel About Cruising from Florida?

• Administrators

(5:30 p.m. EDT) -- Florida is home to the largest and busiest cruise ports in the world and will no doubt play a leading role in the restart of cruise operations within the United States. But Cruise Critic members are debating how comfortable they feel about cruising from the Sunshine State, given the news that the state lifted most restrictions ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
CVCUY75x1Pk

View the full article

It's time to let those who want to cruise, cruise. If the cruising shutdown remains in effect until the most risk-average are satisfied, there won't be a cruise industry.

If a vaccine is approved this year in the U.S. (no guarantee), large scale roll out will take months. 

We already tolerate large-scale congregations (hello, Black Lives Matter protests!) elsewhere in the U.S. 

'Safe' is relative. Wait for cruising to be 'safe,' and you will never go. There will always be risk. Choose your threshold and make your personal decision while respecting the liberty of others to do the same. 

I agree that it’s wise to be guided taking into account scientific data. This is why I’ve been following closely how cruising in other parts of the world is going as they restart, and how effective the measures that they have imposed have been. I also work in the airline industry where we have continued operating with our own set of procedures. A multi-layered approach has so far proven to work. 

At this time, and taking into account what I’ve seen and personally experienced so far, I’d feel comfortable taking a cruise from Florida IF (and only IF) they apply similar measures to what has already proven effective. If they decided to open cruising without restrictions, I would not want to take a cruise at this time. That would be reckless and irresponsible, not only on the cruise line’s part, but on my part as well. 

I do like the concept of creating a safe bubble for passengers like cruise lines have been doing in Europe since August. Is it ideal? Absolutely not. But for those willing to endure these protocols, it provides the opportunity to cruise again. 

At this time, I would only limit myself to shorter itineraries close to home that include private islands in order to minimize the impact of new procedures to my cruise vacation. While I’m willing to accept these for a shorter, inexpensive getaway, I’ll wait until we have the pandemic more under control (not only in the US but on a global level) before I venture out on longer itineraries to farther away places.

Edited by Tapi

I think it's a great idea. The No Sail order should have lifted a month ago. Let people make their own decisions. Assume there will be sharply reduced capacity and traffic for a couple of months at least as many (me included) decide to hold off for a while. Personally I'm hoping to get in a November 2021 cruise.

From science point of view we know there are large demographics that are at little or no risk from the virus and with a few precautions will do just fine. Why shut things down to protect maybe  20% of the population, many of whom are likely to be taking measures to keep themselves safe.  It's better to start things up and help maintain the cruise infrastructure until things really get back to normal.

Edited by NO_Member_Name
  • 2 weeks later...

If we wait for the Government to make a decision on what's safe or not, cruising will never resume. The CDC and all the health agencies have not given expert advice yet. They keep contradicting themselves on masks/no masks, airborne/not airborne, treatment Hydroxy pack yes/no. All we have been fed about Covid 19 is from Bureaucrats as they don't want input from real Infectious Disease Experts who treat it everyday. Wait for a vaccine? How many people have faith in it? I have no faith in the CDC or NIH. I believe the Cruise Lines should carry known effective treatments on board the ships so you are not dropped off in some third World Country to face their treatment or lack thereof. Just my opinion and I won't sail if I have to wear a mask all the time outside my cabin. 

I think testing is the answer both for flights and cruising more than just the general environment.  We all should know how to take precautions in terms of hygiene, social distancing and masks.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, smi889 said:

If we wait for the Government to make a decision on what's safe or not, cruising will never resume. The CDC and all the health agencies have not given expert advice yet. They keep contradicting themselves on masks/no masks, airborne/not airborne, treatment Hydroxy pack yes/no. All we have been fed about Covid 19 is from Bureaucrats as they don't want input from real Infectious Disease Experts who treat it everyday. Wait for a vaccine? How many people have faith in it? I have no faith in the CDC or NIH. I believe the Cruise Lines should carry known effective treatments on board the ships so you are not dropped off in some third World Country to face their treatment or lack thereof. Just my opinion and I won't sail if I have to wear a mask all the time outside my cabin. 

I will certainly be safer to go on a cruise ship than into your local grocery store.

31 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I will certainly be safer to go on a cruise ship than into your local grocery store.

Typical non-response! Not one answer to their procedures. Are you willing to wear a mask all day?

33 minutes ago, smi889 said:

Typical non-response! Not one answer to their procedures. Are you willing to wear a mask all day?

Excuse me. Typical, really. So here you are for someone who wants to be told. Guess you have no idea how safe each one is. The government has no idea how safe it is. Do you? Here is my take. I will cruise in a heart beat when I can. I am 75 and have no qualms about going on a ship. As for masks. Stores do not enforce it. many customers walk around without them. Are you tested before going in any store, NO. Is the store constantly cleaned, NO. In a grocery store. Every customer picks up and puts back can good, produce and anything they can touch. Is the A/C system a HEPA filter system No. Does the A/C system recirculate the inside air. Yes. Not good at all. Far, far safer on a ship. if you do not know that then you do not know what the ships have done to protect their guests. I suggests you check it out. For your information. You are not required on any ship to wear a mask all day. As for Florida. What does that have to do with going on a cruise? if you do not want to cruise from Florida. Don't. Simple as that. 

On 10/20/2020 at 1:03 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Excuse me. Typical, really. So here you are for someone who wants to be told. Guess you have no idea how safe each one is. The government has no idea how safe it is. Do you? Here is my take. I will cruise in a heart beat when I can. I am 75 and have no qualms about going on a ship. As for masks. Stores do not enforce it. many customers walk around without them. Are you tested before going in any store, NO. Is the store constantly cleaned, NO. In a grocery store. Every customer picks up and puts back can good, produce and anything they can touch. Is the A/C system a HEPA filter system No. Does the A/C system recirculate the inside air. Yes. Not good at all. Far, far safer on a ship. if you do not know that then you do not know what the ships have done to protect their guests. I suggests you check it out. For your information. You are not required on any ship to wear a mask all day. As for Florida. What does that have to do with going on a cruise? if you do not want to cruise from Florida. Don't. Simple as that. 

I think you need to read some of the cruises that are currently sailing about masks. Don't know how Florida came up in the conversation. As far as you being 75 years old, congratulations you made it this long, you must be a smoker. I'll up you by 3 years on the age! 🙂

3 hours ago, smi889 said:

I think you need to read some of the cruises that are currently sailing about masks. Don't know how Florida came up in the conversation. As far as you being 75 years old, congratulations you made it this long, you must be a smoker. I'll up you by 3 years on the age! 🙂

Quit the habit over 40 years ago. As a young man had to have those Lucky Strikes rolled up in my T-Shirt sleeve. When in the NAVY 10 cents a pack. My grandfather smoked till he died at 87 and he did not die from smoking. As for masks or no masks etc. We are all going out some day. My personal opinion about masks. Stupid. Why? Because you rebreathe your expelled air, you do not give your immune system any chance to fight the virus. All my life, if a person coughed or sneezed I would stay away from that person. Far more than 6 ft. I think we all would. Breathing near a person does not cause you to get the virus. Moist droplets do. So when does that happen? During a cough or a sneeze. As for those cruising now and wearing of masks. It is not what Carnival or other cruise lines are recommending when cruising. They clearly state. When social distancing is not possible. Not all the time.

3 hours ago, smi889 said:

FYI Florida is in the topic. That is how Florida comes up in the conversations.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Quit the habit over 40 years ago. As a young man had to have those Lucky Strikes rolled up in my T-Shirt sleeve. When in the NAVY 10 cents a pack. My grandfather smoked till he died at 87 and he did not die from smoking. As for masks or no masks etc. We are all going out some day. My personal opinion about masks. Stupid. Why? Because you rebreathe your expelled air, you do not give your immune system any chance to fight the virus. All my life, if a person coughed or sneezed I would stay away from that person. Far more than 6 ft. I think we all would. Breathing near a person does not cause you to get the virus. Moist droplets do. So when does that happen? During a cough or a sneeze. As for those cruising now and wearing of masks. It is not what Carnival or other cruise lines are recommending when cruising. They clearly state. When social distancing is not possible. Not all the time.

We have a lot in common. I grew up in the 50's rolled up cigs in the sleeves, blue jeans, Bill Haley and the Comets, Air Force got the 10 cent cigarettes, and think the masks are stupid. Just hoping the Cruise Lines don't go overboard to make sure they don't hurt anyone's feelings. Have a good day! 

I live in Florida and wouldn't want to cruise any time soon. I'm going to wait for things to calm down more. I'm all for cruising for the ones that are ready to do it now. I hope there is no or very little virus that gets on board and hopefully the cruise lines will have plenty of quarantine space and medical if needed. I also hope passengers don't get stuck somewhere, but can be quarantined on the ship and come back home. ⛴ Let the cruising begin. 🥂

We both work in an industry that requires 14 day quarantine after going on a cruise.  Most of our work is from home, but not all of it right now.  That is a factor for us.  

Also, we are still waiting for a refund on a cancelled Crystal cruise of $17.5K back from an April 29th cancellation for a June cruise.  We don't even trust doing a down payment on a cruise in the future.  Our bank thinks this will settle this week and we really hope so.  

Sadly, we think the cruise industry in FL is going to take a major hit.  

Edited by Love.II.Cruise
added info
On 10/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, smi889 said:

We have a lot in common. I grew up in the 50's rolled up cigs in the sleeves, blue jeans, Bill Haley and the Comets, Air Force got the 10 cent cigarettes, and think the masks are stupid. Just hoping the Cruise Lines don't go overboard to make sure they don't hurt anyone's feelings. Have a good day! 

Thanks for your service. Loved the NAVY. Wife did not. Since then she changed her mind. A bit late. If I could go back and know what I know now.  I would in a heart beat.