Jump to content

Looks like one more month of CDC lockdown on ships


oteixeira
 Share

Recommended Posts

We have a Jan 2021 2 week  cruise out of Port Canaveral and were on the fence but now that Florida has opened up everything my partner does not want to go. I have a little time before final payment and  had hoped to see some reviews of first November sailings. Suppose I could look into 2022 or 2023 but we aren't getting any younger.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds cool ... odd timing for the seasonal influenza should it co-mingle with Covid-19.

 

Looking at this from the North America porthole windows: good luck getting to (flying, driving, etc.) the embarkation and disembarkation ports, dealing with any & all voluntary/mandatory pre- and post- quarantine measures at different ports and countries abroad, in 4 weeks of less, i.e. especially for those with residency in NY, NJ or CT.  

 

On the pro side, those private islands should be near ideal as refuge, with all the enhanced measures in place coupled with reduced passenger capacity onboard the vessels.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dayana said:

well worst case if the USA doesn't reopen Europe/Med will be so there are options  

 

Not much of an option though with 14 days quarantine on arrival in Europe, not sure what your rules are but possible another 14 days on return to the US?

This is not to mention lack of flights and that the ships are currently limiting the nationalities allowed onboard.

I would imagine by the time infections are at a low enough level that Europe drops the 14 days quarantine on the US, the CDC would have stopped the sail ban anyway.

 

States like Florida lifting the rules IMHO will only result in an increase in infection just as seen in Europe and will do nothing but extend all of the above.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, oteixeira said:

 

 

Meaningless.  All (major) cruise lines had already cancelled through the end of October.  This 'extension" has zero impact of the current status of cruises.  Just more fear mongering.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

It’s official folks!!! We sail November 1st!!!! 

 

Where’s the cheers and celebrations???

 

 

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

 

 

Meaningless.  All (major) cruise lines had already cancelled through the end of October.  This 'extension" has zero impact of the current status of cruises.  Just more fear mongering.

I suspect that the Oct 31st date was what the CDC was hoping for when they floated the Feb date.  This gives them sufficient time after the close of the "request for information" to promulgate the new federal regulations that will be based on the requirements of the no sail order, so I doubt there will be any change come Nov 1st, as the cruise lines have still not submitted plans to meet the no sail requirements.  As federal regulations, these will be permanent, and will not require any more extensions.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It still doesn't mean ships will be ready to sail in November 2020. CDC can still extend monthly as they just did.

 

With no guarantee the CDC won't extend again cruise lines can't get crew back, provision ships and teach all the new protocols, etc. Much work still ahead.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The CDC wanted to extend to Feb 1st, but was overruled by the White House council. Florida's wonderful governor has lifted all restrictions concerning Covid, so who in their right mind would want to come to Florida.

We see the lifting of those restrictions as a positive development.   We can't continue to cower in our basements until there are zero infections.

  • Like 14
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The CDC wanted to extend to Feb 1st, but was overruled by the White House council. Florida's wonderful governor has lifted all restrictions concerning Covid, so who in their right mind would want to come to Florida.

I would go to Florida with restrictions lifted. I wouldn't want to go if everything was closed. I would protect myself by keeping my distance from people as much as possible and wear a mask. I would wash and sanitize my hands often, disinfect my hotel room, and, hopefully soon, disinfect my cruise ship cabin. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I would go to Florida with restrictions lifted. I wouldn't want to go if everything was closed. I would protect myself by keeping my distance from people as much as possible and wear a mask. I would wash and sanitize my hands often, disinfect my hotel room, and, hopefully soon, disinfect my cruise ship cabin. 

iv gone to the beach this summer in nc , been to Atlantic City twice . and this is exactly what i do , purel the light switches, remote , phones, ac controls.  anything i would touch lysol the bed and couch.    im not going to live in fear, just be careful. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am just going to say it this way.  Everything else is open, and you can choose to go or not.  There is no reason cruise ships can't be given the same option.  Moreover, they have done WAY more and have way more measures in place to keep you safe then your local walmart, restaurant, all inclusive resort, theme park, etc, etc....

Let the ships cruise.  You don't have to want to cruise, and none of us will make anyone.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

I am just going to say it this way.  Everything else is open, and you can choose to go or not.  There is no reason cruise ships can't be given the same option.  Moreover, they have done WAY more and have way more measures in place to keep you safe then your local walmart, restaurant, all inclusive resort, theme park, etc, etc....

Let the ships cruise.  You don't have to want to cruise, and none of us will make anyone.

Frankly, the CDC is not interested in your health if you choose to cruise, they are interested if you or someone else on that cruise brings the virus back to the port or their hometown.  That is their mandate, and that is their concern.  So, saying that everyone is free to choose to cruise or not is irrelevant.

 

And, none of the ships that everyone is interested in, those that would home port in the US, have any measures in place.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...