Jump to content

No sail extended thru Oct. 30


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, thadlo said:

 

It appears to be based an article by Axios indicating the likelihood, however, I don't believe it is the official CDC statement which is yet to be released.  At any rate, if it's until the end of Oct, as mentioned above, it won't make any difference since the cruise lines have a self-imposed pause until November 1st anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

It appears to be based an article by Axios indicating the likelihood, however, I don't believe it is the official CDC statement which is yet to be released.  At any rate, if it's until the end of Oct, as mentioned above, it won't make any difference since the cruise lines have a self-imposed pause until November 1st anyway. 

This.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

i would extend till next february


Sent from my iPad using Forums

 

So would the head of the CDC.

 

"Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was overruled when he pushed to extend a "no-sail order" on passenger cruises into next year, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the conversation today in the White House Situation Room."

 

https://www.axios.com/scoop-white-house-overruled-cdc-cruise-ships-florida-91442136-1b8e-442e-a2a1-0b24e9a39fb6.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

i would extend till next february


Sent from my iPad using Forums


Guess that’s as good of a ‘random’ date as any....by all means, you can, should and hopefully will. 

Edited by bucfan2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Then dont book. Let those who feel safe cruise. 

 

Big brother stuff imo. 1984. George Orwell.

I agree.  The same government also brought us Duck and Cover as a viable method to survive a nuclear explosion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Barcode78 said:

I agree.  The same government also brought us Duck and Cover as a viable method to survive a nuclear explosion.

The "Duck-n-Cover" from the 1950's until the 1980's was the best info we had at the time.

I participated many times throughout my school years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Axios also reporting that cruise line top officials are scheduled to meet with the Trump administration on Friday. 

Not sure I trust either at this point to do what's safest for the public....JMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigrednole said:

The CDC knows Nov 1 cannot happen. Cruise lines have 1-week to get orders that the ports will be open. It leaves 1-week to get crew in country, or where ever, to quarantine for 2-weeks. Add in another few days to get them to their specified ships and ships in ports. It simply too many pieces of a puzzle that have to fit perfectly that I don't see it happening. 

 

Lets assume the cruise lines get crew available for Nov 1 and then extended until Dec 1. How are they going to insure the crew brought over will self isolate enough to insure they don't contract covid, risk infecting where they reside until cruising starts? 

 

What IS needed is a guarantee to when cruising will start, not just another temporary extension of a No Sail Order. A lot of this is going to depend on the election. I don't want to discuss politics, but the writing is on the wall. Politics are going to play a huge part in what happens. If Trump wins, the country will be pushed to open (December cruising). If Biden wins, government control and dependence will increase forcing more businesses to close (March cruising at best). 


 I thought this was a politics free forum?

 

Plain and simple, they can’t crew the ship in one week right now, let alone see that all staff were Covid free. The chief has said 4 weeks minimum under normal conditions, and those conditions are not today.
 

The cruises lines might not want to sail November 1st even if allowed. Any Covid cases will bring negative press and lawsuits. They have one shot at reopening successfully and they won’t want to screw it up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The cruises lines might not want to sail November 1st even if allowed. Any Covid cases will bring negative press and lawsuits. They have one shot at reopening successfully and they won’t want to screw it up. 


Even if they wanted to sail November 1, it would be almost impossible to pull off as a practical matter.  If the CDC order does end up going away at the end of October, that signals a December 1 start date for sailings best case. 

Edited by danv3
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

 I thought this was a politics free forum?

Correct, however in this case, politics is going to play a role. Not debating the political side of it, but one side wants the country open and another doesn't. Because that has a direct effect on cruises, it was worth pointing out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigrednole said:

Correct, however in this case, politics is going to play a role. Not debating the political side of it, but one side wants the country open and another doesn't. Because that has a direct effect on cruises, it was worth pointing out.


Timeline alone says it can’t be done, no matter what party is in power. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, danv3 said:


Even if they wanted to sail November 1, it would be almost impossible to pull off as a practical matter.  If the CDC order does end up going away at the end of October, that signals a December 1 start date for sailings best case. 

And even if a ship or two sails November 1, most ships won't.  Waves of cancellations and changes will continue well into 2021.  Just watch the daily media narrative right now - they are pounding hard on the "it's going to get so much worse" story line.   Of course that may change after November 3.  Very happy we lifted/shifted our January 2021 B2B2B to 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, danv3 said:


Even if they wanted to sail November 1, it would be almost impossible to pull off as a practical matter.  If the CDC order does end up going away at the end of October, that signals a December 1 start date for sailings best case. 


Agreed. l think that December 1st date might be hard to reach and having all crew on board and be Covid free.
 

Chief says approx 4/6 weeks to crew a ship under normal times. If they started October 1st it would become Nov1 to mid-Nov.  Add 2 weeks on-board with extra testing, on top of testing for crew as they travel to the ships it would be tight for a December 1st start. If a ship has an outbreak prior to welcoming guests it only goes from there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:


Agreed. l think that December 1st date might be hard to reach and having all crew on board and be Covid free.
 

 

Agree.  It's not looking good for most December/January reservations.

Edited by bouhunter
Link to post
Share on other sites

This no sail order also prevents the cruise lines from going forward to announce ship itineraries going any further into early 2023. All the future Lift and Shift program applicants can only go so far into 2022. Some of the larger ships have already shown forward and aft cabins sold out while mid ship cabins are more money....as expected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...