How Big is Too Big?

LauraS

Having started cruising on smaller ships.

One of my favorite is like 21,000 GRT......

We do like the Spirit Class ships......but feel most comfortable on ships no bigger than the Celebration, Jubilee, or Holiday......(a balcony is nice though)

We like to feel like we are on a ship not a floating Mall

As plenty of people do like the larger class ships............I just hope they decide to build ships to suit different tastes.

Nah I won't be on one of those. Thats just too darn big:(

I have been on both the Conquest and Valor, as well as the Voyager Class ships of RCCI, Had a great time aboard all of them, but they were big enough for me.

We have actually been thinking about booking some of the smaller ships just to see what they are like.

Have no interest in going that big.

id probably give it a good year or so under its belt and see how things went with it before i would sail it. i love the idea of a huge ship with endless amounts of things to do and lots of people to meet. but only after it passes its "break in phase". Not to be morbid but i dont really want to be the one around for the possible mess ups and catastrophes of a brand new ship.

i think the ship will have hundreds of stablizers so that the ship doesn't move as often. With the ship that big almost all the ports will have to be tendered unless the islands that they visit will build band new ports. Disembartion will probally have more than enough entrance doors so that they can emabrk everyone in at least 5 sets of thousand or so each. everything seems so bewildering now but isn't this how everyone felt when the destiny came out? wasn't that the biggest ship for a while and now thats like a midget compared to whats out there now. soon it'll just be like ho,hum the 5,200 passeger ship. Hon do you think we could book this for our anniversary? LOL

I have only heard that complaint with the Radiance class. I see no problems with the Voyager class elevators. I think that 14 lifts is quite enough. They have plenty but they are slow.

No central elevators on the Voyager Class makes for extra walking and waiting -they are very slow. Get a few playing children and the problem gets much worse. We had a person in a wheel chair this last cruise and this made navigating the elevators even more difficult especial around the dinner times.

Okay...yes, I'm in my 30's....and no, I don't have a wheel chair...and I can certainly understand elevators and other things like that for people who truly need them. But when I am on a Cruise ship....I rarely, rarely ever take an elevator...I just use the stairs....its faster...and I tell myself...its helping me to work off the 7,000 calories of food that I injest each day! Save the elevators for the people who really need them....if you are even SEMI-young and healthy....good grief....don't take an elevator to go up or down...ONE FLOOR!!!!

Again...I think the bigger the ship the better....I have been on both...Conquest Class and Voyager Class....(the buffets on the Voyager....are definitely set up better....had no lines....EVER)....with that kind of planning in mind....I say give me more....more options, more things to look at an explore. I like the idea of a 220,000 ton ship! Its funny...most people on this post...seem to be knocking the BIG ship...and saying that they would NEVER sail on it....Seriously though....I bet IF THEY DO REALLY BUILD IT....it will always be booked full.....so where are all of these people?!?! They aren't sounding off...but they will be buying tickets!

Well we just sailed the Navigator at Thanksgiving and had problems....

The elevators were almost useless and it didn't matter how many there were or where they were located. I did find that the ones on the port side of the atrium often arrived faster than the ones on the starboard side....but could never figure out why.

And even though the lines in the Windjammer weren't any longer than normal it was very hard to find an open table to sit down and eat - even though some people carried their food to the pool area. We often had to opt for the bar stool seats :(

I love the Radiance class so I hope they offer some itineraries that puts them in the ports on days when this ship is still at sea :D

Not going to do it. Too Big. I am already concerned about our upcomming conquest cruise being too big. RCCL has problems just getting things right on a Vision class ship. Now we will have bigger buracracies (sp) and have larger less trained crews which will result in problems going up in higher proportion. Is RCI customer service (main office) equipped to handle 10,000 changes (current sailing and next one) when they have a pod problem or something else causes them to redirect the ship? They need to start thinking in terms of their ability to handle things that don't go perfect instead of births per ship, etc. This will be like going to Super Walmart on a Saturday Afternoon and being treated like cattle. Not me!

Also, are they going to build it from the hull up and stagger the hull plates or are they going to build it in big sections and weld them together with all the seams and welds lined up? Disaster waiting to happen.....

RCCL would not spend 1.24 BILLION Dollars....without thinking about things such as long buffet lines!

Exactly, we are talking about RCCL here, they will have something up their sleeve. You don't think they thought about long lines when they were planning this ship?

Save the elevators for the people who really need them....if you are even SEMI-young and healthy....good grief....don't take an elevator to go up or down...ONE FLOOR!!!!

Yea, I hate that. Do you have any clue how mad the makes me. Especially when you are going from floor 3 to floor 10. It's a real pain when somebody (like a young couple) gets on the 4th floor and gets off the 5th floor.

I would love to cruise on this huge ship. The bigger, the better. I don't care if it is as big a Central Park, I wanna go! As another poster said, more things to see and do..I'm in. :D When I walk from one end to the other, that will help me get in some exercise.

I would be willing to give it a try and I imagine Carnival and the other lines have made quite a study of it or they would not be proceeding. Let's face it, the ships keep getting bigger and bigger with each cruise and with more amenities so I doubt the bigger ships would have less.

In any event, after a month or two of reviews about the larger ships, those opposed would probably change their minds if the reviews were positive. As this happens, the smaller ships will get older and older so you really will not have much of choice any way.

How's this? How about a 10 day cruise to South America on a 200,000 tonner for about $1,500 a person. We'll start with 2 sea days, a day in Aruba, 2 more sea days, then a couple of ports in Brazil and 3 sea days to get back (going like heck to get back). Now tell me, has this got your interest?

Genesis-class is way too big. Having sailed on Conquest, I felt that was a bit too big for my tastes. Looking forward to seeing what the Spirit is like.

Of course, now I'm waiting for the plethora of Star Trek/Ricardo Montalban analogies based on the new ship's class. ;)

I'm unsure about the new Genesis. We just returned from the Legend of the Seas, and it was absolutely perfect in size and amenities. I don't think I would need or want much more!

That being said, we are currently booked on the Triumph for the wonderful itinerary (Eastern Carib), and I look forward to the things on the Victory that I missed...the soft serve ice cream 24 hrs. per day, the great deli for wonderful sandwiches and the Chinese restaurant!

I guess I'd rather wait and see how they pull this off....

We prefer 1400-1800 passengers and do not have any interest in sailing on a ship that carried 5,000 passengers! The logistics of embarkation and dembarkation would be too complex and time-consuming with the current systems, including tendering while on the cruise. DH and I have been on 2000+ passenger ships and enjoyed them, but we feel we receive better service and more attention on the smaller ships. We probably would not sail on the Genesis class ships.

14 days until our Celebration cruise -- woohoo! :D

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Holland America - 2004, 2006

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006

Royal Caribbean - 2001

Archived