cancun safety discussion

been searching some resorts since cruising isnt an option. now. you hear on the news about mexico and cartels etc. ive read zona hotelera is pretty safe. but wondering your real life experiences there lately regards to safety as it relates to crime and comfort. i know all the bars etc are closed but thats not my scene anyway. id never be out late at nite. at least not away from the hotel. 

so whats your cancun experience/

We have a home in the Riviera Maya (closer to Playa Del Carmen) and feel safe living there. Of course there is crime in the larger cities, just as in US cities. And cartels do exist and probably extort protection money from small businesses. But as a tourist, then as a resident we are not impacted by any activities like that if they do occur.

The hotel zone in Cancun is quite safe as it is the premier tourist destination. The strip is lined with grand hotels and condo buildings along the beach as well as high-end shopping.

You will get much more useful feedback from a land-based focused forum like those on TripAdvisor-

Cancun

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150807-i8-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

PDC

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150812-i23-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Quintana Roo (the state)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1575485-i14383-Quintana_Roo_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

• 2 months later...

We just got back from a land vacation that replaced a canceled cruise to Progreso and Cozumel. We stayed at the Hyatt Ziva (northeastern tip of the Hotel Zone, by the lighthouse), and while restaurants were on rotation (one or two closed each lunch and dinner), there was no shortage of things to do (and eat). Two of the three excursions we booked went as scheduled (the one cancellation was reduced from three to two times a week, and mine was the day that got cut).

Nothing seemed sketchy anywhere we went; indeed, I've felt less safe driving through parts of Detroit.

Yes the hotel zone is a very busy and lively area and feels safe. The Ziva (née Dreams) is at the top corner of the “7” and you can walk to many shops or take a short bus to the high-end malls. Cancun is an “easy” destination for US and Canadian tourists, much like Aruba...

Last winter we did 7 weeks of independent travel in Mexico.   Started in the Cancun area.  Spent time in Playa (resort), Puerto Moreles, Merida, and Cancun.  Never felt unsafe or threated.  Bused for Cancun-Merida-Playa.  Never an issue.  We do not frequent the bars.  We do go out at night for dinner.

We went on Huatulco, Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and PV (resort and hotels).  Air and bus.  Never felt unsafe at any location.