Does the Orlando Sentinel know something about MSC?

luvavacation

I have a cruise planned November 8th from Port Canaveral on the Seaside.   I have been waiting to hear if it is happening because my family and I need to make our plans for pet care and work while we are gone.  If there is no cruise, I would prefer to know before we are locked into our vacation time from work and pet sitters.

This morning, I read an article in the Orlando Sentinel regarding cruises to Port Canaveral, and this stood out - Carnival, along with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian, continue to have November sailings from Port Canaveral available for booking, while Disney Cruise Line and MSC Cruises have December options available.

This is news to me.  Possibly the reporter just didn't have all the facts in yet?  Definitive word from MSC would be nice.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/jobs-economy/os-tr-cru-cdc-no-sail-extension-through-october-port-canaveral-20201001-qqkq54idivcrxjdkjzs6m33lum-story.html

They didn't word it well, but it was saying that those are the sailings you can book today.  They seemingly would know less than us based on the wording, as they are unaware that there are still scheduled sailings for November that are not currently available for booking.

FWIW, our TA, who does a large number of group bookings, shows Nov. 8 as Sold Out, but with all categories of cabins still listed.

Apart from that, all sailings from Nov. 1 are still listed as available on their website, including dates that "overlap" with Nov. 8.

However, I would guess that nothing is absolute at the moment.

I do understand that's it's hard to know what to do about final plans apart from the cruise itself.

Hmm, so it is possible to look at the wording as hopeful for those that are already booked, and not negatively.  I’ll hold on to hope. 

What I would really appreciate though is if MSC would let us upcoming cruisers know that they will have no problem staffing and supplying their ships by November 1.  I’d like some confidence, and rather not learn on October 30th that the cruises won’t go. That cuts it too close for my happiness!😄

The CDC extended the No-Sail order to October 31/20. The whitehouse wants to allow sailings and have said that after that ships will sail out of Florida ports.

Now that Trump has Covid they may change their minds and support the CDC's advice to extend the No-Sail further.

It's hard to plan not knowing what the powers that be will do day to day. We're still hoping for our Dec. sailing!

Good Luck

On 10/4/2020 at 4:29 AM, juraspark said:

The CDC extended the No-Sail order to October 31/20. The whitehouse wants to allow sailings and have said that after that ships will sail out of Florida ports.

Now that Trump has Covid they may change their minds and support the CDC's advice to extend the No-Sail further.

It's hard to plan not knowing what the powers that be will do day to day. We're still hoping for our Dec. sailing!

Good Luck

I think you might have misconstrued what has been published.  Yes, it does ring true that the Whitehouse COVID Task Force pushed the CDC to only extend their No Sail order to October 31 instead of the Feb 15 suggested by the CDC.  However, nothing in that order precluded the CDC from a further extension.   The CDC's order specifically says that the order can be modified "based on specific public health or other considerations."   In government speak this means that the CDC could further extend the no-sail order beyond October 31.

Although some might find it convenient to their own agenda to interject President Trump, this latest order is similar to the prior orders that have since been extended.  Lets all hope that the COVID situation improves and the ships begin to sail.  But we sure would not depend on that happening and have already re-scheduled a 14 day December cruise.  Why?  Even if cruising does resume in the next few months, the restrictions imposed onboard (and at the few ports that might actually accept cruisers) would not offer us the kind of cruise vacation that has endeared us to cruising for over 45 years.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

...  Even if cruising does resume in the next few months, the restrictions imposed onboard (and at the few ports that might actually accept cruisers) would not offer us the kind of cruise vacation that has endeared us to cruising for over 45 years.

Hank

Yes, we just can not imagine cramming into an elevator with twelve strangers even if we all wear masks.  Ships are just too crowded.  We are finding other adventures with less crowded venues.  Maybe in another year when there is a proven vaccine and/or herd immunity.