Do you still miss cruising?

ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Cruising may be discretionary but not so much vacations. They are a very important part of the mental health cycle. The travel restrictions of the last few months have accounted for volumes of negative mental health outcomes, from depression to domestic abuse to suicide. People need occasional relief and movement. The toll of this virus is not only economic.

Thank you. I totally agree. When people talk about vacations being discretionary or some sort of extra luxury, they conveniently forget to add the words “in my opinion.”  

I was born and raised in Cuba. I’m a former US Marine. I’ve seen a lot of ugly things in my life. Vacations are my way of letting go for a short while and it’s really the only thing that works for me. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, clo said:

Some have and  never  will  be  able  to  afford  any vacation.  Hopefully  you  know  that.

Really? Shocking! Yes, I grew up on a working farm and graduated high school before even leaving the state. I went away once overnight—at the age of three when my brother was born. The furthest we got was to visit relatives less than a days drive away since we needed to be home for evening milking. After marriage, most of our vacations were either baling hay, repairing fences, or tent camping a few miles away for the weekend. My daughter has had one vacation in the last 18 years, which we helped pay for.

So, yeah, I know about not being able to vacation. I don’t expect many of those in that boat are on cruise critic.

• Like 3

Not at all.  I regard a ship as a big bus to get me to interesting places. Once things open up on land, I can get to any place by plane and enjoy a good land trip.  There are a few places in the world where cruising is the only way to visit but in general I much prefer DIY land trips.  My wife is the one that pushes us to cruise.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A holiday... is just a break...... well from everyday life...or routine ...

can be like  giving a full time carer   a couple of days off so they can recharge their batteries

I am sorry to hear about people who can not get this break..

But this is a forum about cruising... which is holidaying as such....

Cheers Don

Please   use the word vacation instead of holiday if you wish

Nope.  I miss travel of which cruising was an occasional component. However as cruising is the highest risk travel activity during a global viral pandemic I don't miss floating on a crowded boat with thousands of complete strangers one iota.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

can be like  giving a full time carer   a couple of days off so they can recharge their batteries

Cheers Don

Thanks for bringing this back on topic - it is kind if silly to focus on those who cannot afford to cruise while on a cruise panel discussion.  Probably a majority of the people on this planet can not afford to cruise — and very many people who do spend time on cruise ships only do so to clean the toilets, mix the drinks and serve the food for CC posters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

deleted

DON 

Edited by donaldsc

On 10/12/2020 at 7:37 AM, K32682 said:

Nope.  I miss travel of which cruising was an occasional component. However as cruising is the highest risk travel activity during a global viral pandemic I don't miss floating on a crowded boat with thousands of complete strangers one iota.

On October 19,2019 I was on a wonderful cruise.Today ,I really miss cruising.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:37 AM, K32682 said:

Cruising is the highest risk travel activity?  Can you please point me to a source?  I’d like to learn how a cruise ship is higher risk than planes, ferries, busses, trains and other forms of travel. 

On 10/11/2020 at 2:42 PM, Cruzaholic41 said:

Thank you. I totally agree. When people talk about vacations being discretionary or some sort of extra luxury, they conveniently forget to add the words “in my opinion.”  

I was born and raised in Cuba. I’m a former US Marine. I’ve seen a lot of ugly things in my life. Vacations are my way of letting go for a short while and it’s really the only thing that works for me. 

Vacation in the strictest sense is just time off from working. Staying at home is still a vacation.  Traveling and cruising are discretionary luxuries. That's not saying anything negative.  It is what it is.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

Staying home is not a vacation.  I still have to cook, clean, do laundry, feed 6 demanding cats and 2 needy dogs, yard work etc.  When I am on a vacation I just show up, eat and leave.  I can spend the rest of my time sitting by a pool, reading a book, exploring etc.  Someone makes me an umbrella drink anytime I want.  That is a vacation and I do miss it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Staying home is not a vacation.  I still have to cook, clean, do laundry, feed 6 demanding cats and 2 needy dogs, yard work etc.  When I am on a vacation I just show up, eat and leave.  I can spend the rest of my time sitting by a pool, reading a book, exploring etc.  Someone makes me an umbrella drink anytime I want.  That is a vacation and I do miss it.

Yes!  There is a difference between PTO and Vacation, as I am finding out this year when I have nowhere to go.  A "staycation" at home does not de-stress me or clear my mind the way a vacation involving a trip to somewhere different does...

Edited to add:   To earlier points, however, I also understand that a vacation falls somewhere at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, well above food, shelter, and health. Those of us who can take vacations are lucky indeed to have that option.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

Are you a SAHM? Having time off from calls, meetings,  and the pressure of work is the vacation.  Household stuff pales in comparison and you can even decide to delay that stuff or get help in doing while off from work.

5 hours ago, Keksie said:

I see two Celebrity ships off the coast of San Diego and I almost want to swim out to them. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Vacation in the strictest sense is just time off from working. Staying at home is still a vacation.  

5 hours ago, Keksie said:

Staying home is not a vacation.  I still have to cook, clean, do laundry,  yard work etc. 

Holiday/Vacation meaning ..........an extended period of leisure and recreation, especially one spent away from home or in travelling.North American term vacation.

I agree staying at home is not a holiday.......  Yes not going to work is nice .. did it for well over 40 years.......  Now retired still enjoy holidays.......

This year had gone nowhere  due to lockdown and travel restriction here in Australia,

so I can absolutely tell you Staying At Home is not a Holiday

50 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I see two Celebrity ships off the coast of San Diego and I almost want to swim out to them. 

Love it.... you could use your case as a raft...lol....

SO putting it in a nutshell    Cruising is a wonderful relaxing holiday....

which we and a lot of other people.. enjoy ... and miss not be able to do it...

Now i have stepped off the Soapbox..... and remember everybody is different

And that this is Cruise Critic  a forum about cruising read by people who love cruising.

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

Are you a SAHM? Having time off from calls, meetings,  and the pressure of work is the vacation.  Household stuff pales in comparison and you can even decide to delay that stuff or get help in doing while off from work.

I am retired now.  I worked 40+ years.   While I don't have the pressure of work it would be impossible to hire enough people to give me a vacation feeling at home.  Waking up with room service breakfast, going out to see the sites, having a late lunch, lazing by a pool, having drinks from the bar, going to dinner, finding entertainment, with more drinks and not having to drive home.  That is all part of a vacation. Like I said I have 6 cats and 2 dogs.  Putting off their care is not an option.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Vacation in the strictest sense is just time off from working. Staying at home is still a vacation.  Traveling and cruising are discretionary luxuries. That's not saying anything negative.  It is what it is.

4 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

And like the last person I called out, you forgot to say “ in my opinion.”  

5 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I personally prefer work to household chores😕

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I personally prefer work to household chores😕

interesting   

work is better you get payed and contribute  for the greater good

and make money for somebody..

Housework, is good but you don't get payed. nobody is looking over your shoulder...

and hopefully afterward you stand back and go that's good...

OR

Work is something you love doing..... you are lucky

Housework is simply something  you have to do or live in a pig pen ...

Being retired I am am happier with doing some house work....

Cheers Don

• Like 1

It is quite possible to have a vacation in your home community.  Stay at a luxury hotel and treat where you live like a tourist.  See the sights, dine out, visit attractions, shop, etc.  I can honestly say I've not seen most of the tourist attractions in my home community and a week at a hotel to see them might be a compromise between a true vacation and staying at home.  

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

It is quite possible to have a vacation in your home community.  Stay at a luxury hotel and treat where you live like a tourist.  See the sights, dine out, visit attractions, shop, etc.  I can honestly say I've not seen most of the tourist attractions in my home community and a week at a hotel to see them might be a compromise between a true vacation and staying at home.  

We try to do little day trips from home at least twice a month.  I also try to go to a couple of touristy/local places each month.  We have to get a house sitter to be gone from home and I have put off finding one until I have several trips planned.

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Problem is that I don't feel my home community is safe. High rates of infection, very laissez-faire attitude about mask wearing and social distancing, and I am willing to bet cleaning protocols in hotels are not what they should be. 

I have not dined out locally since February. I had a 4-day 'mini-break' scheduled at a beach destination in my state but I canceled a week before as I did not feel comfortable going.

Hi 

While I might like going places and doing things, the short answer to the OP's questions is "No". 

Considering the larger picture, it doesn't even rate. I am happy, I am relatively safe, things are opening slowly here (with some back steps in the larger centers), but otherwise, if there was a better way, I think we would be doing it. It is hard for many, but it was hard for many even before the pandemic.

We are in the middle of a pandemic, there is no normal, a cruise in my view is still laughable at this time. 

stay safe everyone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1