Jump to content

No passengers under the age of 18?


K_e_short
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, the english lady said:

Pando do the same. Safety reasons. Some have posted on their boards if its a family booking in school holidays they book up to 2 years in advance to make sure all the children can get on. I know from from has been posted Costa either do not restrict of allow a greater number of children per adult.

It doesn't get based on children using the childrens club. 

They probably don't want kids causing trouble. Like I said this kid on the indy was up skirting girls among other things. He nearly went to bottom of the Atlantic ocean along with RCL's child and alcohol policy (everyone adult had the unlimited package we drank hard).  There were parents ready to kill him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

And just to put a spanner into the works. According to the latest news articles in various UK papers and internet sources children under the age of the 18 WILL NOT receive the future Coronavirus vaccine in UK. So if Cunard requires vaccine to travel parents may have a problem.

 

Unless we're from another country (Canada) where it looks like everyone will be able to receive a vaccine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

 

Unless we're from another country (Canada) where it looks like everyone will be able to receive a vaccine.

I am sure if you need it for travel you will be able to get it. But Cunard and other lines for that matter possibly banning English kids will cause problems for the lines and cost them a lot of money when people vote with their feet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I am sure if you need it for travel you will be able to get it. But Cunard and other lines for that matter possibly banning English kids will cause problems for the lines and cost them a lot of money when people vote with their feet.

As nothing has been said about the vaccine in the UK Framework for resumption of cruise operations, this is speculation at best and  at worst scaremongering.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2020 at 5:08 PM, babs135 said:

I never knew this.  Do we know why they restrict numbers?  And my final question (!)  Do we know if other lines have a similar policy?

At least P&O and Princess have similar policy (they belong to the same group with Cunard).

 

Probably this is because cruise lines want to ensure that all children can use the kids club and participate in the kids activities. As you know the kids club is divided into several rooms for different ages (e.g. Age 3-6 / Age 7-12 / Age 13-17). If there are 150 kids onboard but all of them are at age 10, then obviously the room for Age 7-12 cannot accommodate every kids. So cruise lines may limit the maximum number of kids at each age group, e.g. 50 kids for each group.

 

Another reason is perhaps they only have limited quantity of children-size lifejackets for each age group.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

As nothing has been said about the vaccine in the UK Framework for resumption of cruise operations, this is speculation at best and  at worst scaremongering.

 

Especially as nobody knows whether there will be a vaccine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

As nothing has been said about the vaccine in the UK Framework for resumption of cruise operations, this is speculation at best and  at worst scaremongering.

Who will determine whether vaccine is needed to board? The "UK framework for resumption of sailing" whomever they may be or the cruise lines themselves? I am sure more information on the vaccine program will become available as time goes on but as it stands right no under 18s for vaccination according to the most recent statements. Which is daft when you consider kids give the parents the colds they get at school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

At least P&O and Princess have similar policy (they belong to the same group with Cunard).

 

Probably this is because cruise lines want to ensure that all children can use the kids club and participate in the kids activities. As you know the kids club is divided into several rooms for different ages (e.g. Age 3-6 / Age 7-12 / Age 13-17). If there are 150 kids onboard but all of them are at age 10, then obviously the room for Age 7-12 cannot accommodate every kids. So cruise lines may limit the maximum number of kids at each age group, e.g. 50 kids for each group.

 

Another reason is perhaps they only have limited quantity of children-size lifejackets for each age group.

I have never heard of this either and UK based cruise agencies push summer family trips pretty hard offering good deals for the 3rd and 4th bed in the cabin. Yet they never mention a cap on the numbers of kids in each group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I have never heard of this either and UK based cruise agencies push summer family trips pretty hard offering good deals for the 3rd and 4th bed in the cabin. Yet they never mention a cap on the numbers of kids in each group.

 

Cruise lines do not disclose the maximum numbers allowed, so even travel agents do not know.

 

But if you refer to the family trips, I guess those are the Princess and P&O ships. Their ships are larger and the area of children facilities is also larger. Hence apparently they can accommodate more children.

 

For Cunard, I believe the cap on the number of kids would be much lower than that of Princess / P&O.

 

For other cruise lines, I haven't heard that they have a limit.

Or perhaps they still have, but the number is very large, so I have never seen that the limit has been exceeded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No but there will be profiteering.

Private medical care has always 'cost'. It gives some idea how lucky the UK population is in respect of most vaccinations, in having access to NHS jabs.

 

A further fly in many prospective passengers'  ointment is, IF a vaccination programme is rolled out in the UK, apparently it will not be aimed at under 50s, never mind children. Looking at the more costly end of vaccinations eg privately accessed Shingrix jab, adding another couple of hundred pounds pp to booking costs will go down really well. Not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Private medical care has always 'cost'. It gives some idea how lucky the UK population is in respect of most vaccinations, in having access to NHS jabs.

 

A further fly in many prospective passengers'  ointment is, IF a vaccination programme is rolled out in the UK, apparently it will not be aimed at under 50s, never mind children. Looking at the more costly end of vaccinations eg privately accessed Shingrix jab, adding another couple of hundred pounds pp to booking costs will go down really well.

Not.

Privately you get seen very quickly. NHS not so much.

 

That is assuming you can access the jab privately. I am sure you can but if you can't and for the instance the USA refuses to allow unvaccinated persons into the country it, ergo banning brits under 50. That could lead to the destruction of relations between the UK and the U.S. Though I am sure the UK would rethink it's policy if the vaccine was required for entry.

Edited by ace2542
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Private medical care has always 'cost'. It gives some idea how lucky the UK population is in respect of most vaccinations, in having access to NHS jabs.

 

A further fly in many prospective passengers'  ointment is, IF a vaccination programme is rolled out in the UK, apparently it will not be aimed at under 50s, never mind children. Looking at the more costly end of vaccinations eg privately accessed Shingrix jab, adding another couple of hundred pounds pp to booking costs will go down really well. Not.

 

Agree some will not be well pleased paying.  However, after venting their "OMG I've got to spend" feelings on various social media platforms, the bluster will eventually end, and cruisers will use their plastic and move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Privately you get seen very quickly. NHS not so much.

 

That is assuming you can access the jab privately. I am sure you can but if you can't and for the instance the USA refuses to allow unvaccinated persons into the country it, ergo banning brits under 50. That could lead to the destruction of relations between the UK and the U.S. Though I am sure the UK would rethink it's policy if the vaccine was required for entry.

As you are now into the realms of supposition, I’ll leave you to your speculations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

 

Agree some will not be well pleased paying.  However, after venting their "OMG I've got to spend" feelings on various social media platforms, the bluster will eventually end, and cruisers will use their plastic and move on.

As we have no idea if vaccinations will be a prerequisite to boarding, no bluster should be needed at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

As you are now into the realms of supposition, I’ll leave you to your speculations.

This new app being trailed so called digital health passport according to daily telegraph seems to be indictive of the need to show a negative test digitally and in future a proof of vaccination and providing the concept to do it. If that does hold 56% of population may not be able to show the needed proof.

 

If you think the private sector can vaccine 56% of the country very easily you may be in for a surprise. I am struggling to understand how the vaccination approach will bring an end to the pandemic when the vaccination percentage is probably going to be 25% under the so called herd immunity percentage of 70% plus of population.

Edited by ace2542
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

This new app being trailed so called digital health passport according to daily telegraph seems to be indictive of the need to show a negative test digitally and in future a proof of vaccination and providing the concept to do it. If that does hold 56% of population may not be able to show the needed proof.

 

If you think the private sector can vaccine 56% of the country very easily you may be in for a surprise. I am struggling to understand how the vaccination approach will bring an end to the pandemic when the vaccination percentage is probably going to be 25% under the so called herd immunity percentage of 70% plus of population.

 

You are the one who has brought up the subject and you can speculate as much as you want, but I offer no opinion on a vaccination programme, for travel or everyday living, as I know nothing about it other than the media leaks which might, or might not be accurate reporting.
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2020 at 10:47 PM, bluemarble said:

I am getting that error on some crossings and not others. So far I've received that error on the first two scheduled crossings from Southampton (M110 and M112B). I have not received that error on the first two scheduled crossings from New York (M111A and M113).

 

Here's the error I'm getting on voyage M110. This is on the Cunard US website.

 

image.thumb.png.44fe38de022b927fb8f8e6e3963a9823.png

 

 

The annotation "This stateroom is not suitable for children under 18 years of age" could be taken that this cabin has a capacity of just two persons and that the bed cannot be converted into twins.  I travel a lot as a single parent with my daughter and a crucial issue is that a twin beds option is available in any cabin I book.

 

A few cruise lines restrict non adult numbers in general with a view of running the children's clubs with numbers that can be smoothly managed.

 

Regards John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2020 at 7:33 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

At least P&O and Princess have similar policy (they belong to the same group with Cunard).

 

Probably this is because cruise lines want to ensure that all children can use the kids club and participate in the kids activities. As you know the kids club is divided into several rooms for different ages (e.g. Age 3-6 / Age 7-12 / Age 13-17). If there are 150 kids onboard but all of them are at age 10, then obviously the room for Age 7-12 cannot accommodate every kids. So cruise lines may limit the maximum number of kids at each age group, e.g. 50 kids for each group.

 

Another reason is perhaps they only have limited quantity of children-size lifejackets for each age group.

 

Cruise lines which run a children's club facility tend to have predetermined age grouping for each subsection of the club. However when school holidays are occurring more school children travel.  During term time parents with pre-school children may want to travel in greater numbers as parent with school age children cannot travel as freely.  In this situation the cruise line will book in greater numbers of young children and the clubs amalgamate age groups effectively changing the age range of each group.  This is all organised by the cruise line to even out subsection numbers, maximise revenue and still have clubs running smoothly.

 

Regards John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please forgive my ignorance and I mean no disrespect, but I must ask why would a family with children choose to cruise on Cunard?  Clearly the activities and the ship itself is not geared towards children.  Won't they be bored?  I would think one of the family mass market cruise lines would better suit families.  Just asking.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cruz040864 said:

Clearly the activities and the ship itself is not geared towards children.  Won't they be bored? 

That depends on the children. (And that , in turn, depends on the parents.)

 

We have cruised with up to 400 children on board. And unless you happened to spot some of the group activities you wouldn’t have known they were there. I have no direct knowledge of the ‘kids clubs’, but to keep that number of children invisible it has to be a) well organised, and b) engaging for the participants. The one time I sailed with a teenager she had no interest in the ‘teen club’ so I never got to find out what was involved.

 

We’ve never had ‘children’ at our table but have had at tables nearby and have talked to both them and their parents. They all seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. We’ve had teenagers at the table a few times. They tend to be quiet on the first night but once they get involved in the conversations, if you involve them, they’re just part of the group. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cruz040864 said:

Please forgive my ignorance and I mean no disrespect, but I must ask why would a family with children choose to cruise on Cunard?  Clearly the activities and the ship itself is not geared towards children.  Won't they be bored?  I would think one of the family mass market cruise lines would better suit families.  Just asking.  

 

Although it was a long time ago - on the QE2 - there was an excellent childrens programme when we took a crossing with our young son. He enjoyed it. He took all meals with us and never complained about wearing his suit and tie at dinner.

 

I have been told by parents we have met on the current ships that children are looked after well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...