Your Thoughts on Booking an Australian Cruise late 2021

On 10/5/2020 at 9:07 AM, By The Bay said:

I was reading articles which quoted comments by the Queensland CHO, Jeannette Young. The CHO stated that traveling on cruise ships was not safe during the pandemic. Given that the politicians in Australia follow the advice given from their medical experts, I cannot see cruising recommencing in Australia any time soon. Possibly not until the pandemic is declared over. If there was a change in Government after the state election, I would expect no change in the cruising ban. 😒 Here is an extract of her statements from 7News. Also reported by the Brisbane Times.

“The problem with cruise ships is that they lead to transmission very, very readily,” Queensland CHO Jeannette Young said on Thursday.

“We know that from the past. We’ve seen outbreaks of norovirus, we’ve seen outbreaks of flu.

“So it’s not surprising that you would see outbreaks of COVID.

“So really, they are not safe.

“We know if someone goes onto that cruise ship from wherever, they might have the infection and it would spread.

“We saw that as one of the early consequences of this virus when there were few cases in the world.

“So no, it’s something that would be quite late in our process before we’d think they were a good idea.”

This is a very narrow minded view from somebody who should know better.  This is the same person who has had to adapt and create policies on the fly in response to this pandemic to try and keep the people of Qld safe.  These policies did not need to be in place before and both influenza and notorious outbreaks are common in Qld schools, hospitals, and office buildings.  The risks are not dealt with until after an outbreak.

It is therefore extremely short-sighted for CHO to base these comments on how things were before the pandemic and assume the industry is not going to implement changes for the better.

Shame on you CHO!  🤔

And by the way, the ACT with 1 case of unexplained infection of covid19 - never was a hotspot! 🤨

On 10/8/2020 at 9:08 AM, By The Bay said:

The Government is reported as saying we will be closed to overseas arrivals and departures until late 2021. 😒 My thoughts are with all the travel industry workers.🤞

"“International travel, including by tourists and international students, is assumed to remain largely closed off until late next year and then gradually return over time, and a vaccine to be available around the end of 2021 is one of the assumptions in the budget,” Frydenberg told the National Press Club."

This is ludicrous!

We should open to anyone willing to self-fund and abide by their 14 day quarantine right now!

6 minutes ago, banzaii said:

This is ludicrous!

We should open to anyone willing to self-fund and abide by their 14 day quarantine right now!

And that's probably why they don't. We've already heard enough horror stories about peoole who think quarantine allows them to go shopping or do anything else they like. As we've already seen in Sydney, it only takes one person to start a new outbreak of the virus.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And that's probably why they don't. We've already heard enough horror stories about peoole who think quarantine allows them to go shopping or do anything else they like. As we've already seen in Sydney, it only takes one person to start a new outbreak of the virus.

But if that is a clearly articulated condition of entry with severe penalties including cancellation of visas?

No this is lazy policy making with no attempts at real mitigation.

6 minutes ago, banzaii said:

But if that is a clearly articulated condition of entry with severe penalties including cancellation of visas?

No this is lazy policy making with no attempts at real mitigation.

But the problem is that by the time a breech of quarantine is detected, where that person was infectious, the damage is done. 

Until a vaccine is available and reasonably widely used I'd call it safe but maybe slightly over-cautious policy making.

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But the problem is that by the time a breech of quarantine is detected, where that person was infectious, the damage is done. 

Until a vaccine is available and reasonably widely used I'd call it safe but maybe slightly over-cautious policy making.

I note that Hawaii, despite being one of the most conservative regions at the beginning of the pandemic, now has an unrestricted border with 14 day self-funded quarantine.  

We should not make policy for the lowest common denominator or the effects and expense of covid19 will never be left behind.

What we are effectively saying is that we cannot manage the virus at all, we can only isolate it.  Why we are unwilling to accept or mitigate against the smallest risk of someone breaking quarantine?  At the same time, we seem to be willing to accept these same kinds of risk once we have a vaccine which may or may not introduce new risk.

Providing university placements for International students is one of our largest exports and our largest unis face significant funding shortfalls without this income.

Edited by banzaii

3 hours ago, banzaii said:

Shame on you CHO!  🤔

And by the way, the ACT with 1 case of unexplained infection of covid19 - never was a hotspot! 🤨

The 'good' doctor said it was a hotspot because it was in the middle of NSW - she even made a little circle with her hands to demonstrate what 'in the middle' meant. LOOPY!!

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

The 'good' doctor said it was a hotspot because it was in the middle of NSW - she even made a little circle with her hands to demonstrate what 'in the middle' meant. LOOPY!!

Methinks there are some in power around this fine nation who are into the wacky tobaccy!

Edited by banzaii

48 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My cruiseless tour I cancelled back in April looks in doubt for the future. Two of the countries are now at war - Armenia and Azerbaijan.

We almost booked a tour of Georgia, Armenia and Azerbajan for mid 2021 back in January but decided we had too much booked in already and to hold off, luckily for us.

Are the 2023 cruises being advertised yet? Gives me 3 years to save up for a Worldie., to celebrate my 75th birthday, well maybe a half Worldie, like in 2012.

Crikey, I hope nobody has to wait until 2023 to do a cruise. In the mean time

1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Are the 2023 cruises being advertised yet? Gives me 3 years to save up for a Worldie., to celebrate my 75th birthday, well maybe a half Worldie, like in 2012.

Crikey, I hope nobody has to wait until 2023 to do a cruise. In the mean time

1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpg

Anyway that is my goal, if i live to 75, half worldie on P and 0 uk, Cunard or princess, sydney to southampton, few weeks in uk and fly back in business class. I had better start saving the 100k.image.png.4e654009488230567f79a3d968ac3fe6.png

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Anyway that is my goal, if i live to 75, half worldie on P and 0 uk, Cunard or princess, sydney to southampton, few weeks in uk and fly back in business class. I had better start saving the 100k.image.png.4e654009488230567f79a3d968ac3fe6.png

Uncle Les think big, if we ever get back to cruising (just ordered a new wheelchair that may help the dream) my worldie will be cruise to West Coast ‘Murcia spend some time, Panama Canal, time of the right hand coast, off to Pommie land for more time, maybe over to Europe and a River cruise and some land time, then home via Med and Suez, just I need to get the back a bit better.

ohhhh and maybe win lotto.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Uncle Les think big, if we ever get back to cruising (just ordered a new wheelchair that may help the dream) my worldie will be cruise to West Coast ‘Murcia spend some time, Panama Canal, time of the right hand coast, off to Pommie land for more time, maybe over to Europe and a River cruise and some land time, then home via Med and Suez, just I need to get the back a bit better.

ohhhh and maybe win lotto.

Hope you win lotto mate, you will need 150k at least, drop the river cruise too expensive.  I am livin the dream, like yourself. I could always sell my big house, cash in and buy an apartment down here.

Edited by NSWP

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hope you win lotto mate, you will need 150k at least, drop the river cruise too expensive.  I am livin the dream, like yourself. I could always sell my big house, cash in and buy an apartment down here.

Last time I tried to put it together we would be on a ship 2/3 of the time, but the land portion took more money by far. I can but dream. The river cruise would in part be to visit some parts various branches of our families came from.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:51 PM, GUT2407 said:

Last time I tried to put it together we would be on a ship 2/3 of the time, but the land portion took more money by far. I can but dream. The river cruise would in part be to visit some parts various branches of our families came from.

Dont delay then, get planning for 2022.  You never know what might happen. I am glad we had 17 years of travel after I retired @ 55.

• Like 1

Dont delay then, get planning for 2022.  You never know what might happen. I am glad we had 17 years of travel after I retired @ 55.
You never know what will happen. Live rich, don't die rich.
1.2 million people dead (and counting) only due to coronavirus.
I think the Spanish flu killed 50 million people a hundred years ago.

3 hours ago, drsel said:

You never know what will happen. Live rich, don't die rich.
1.2 million people dead (and counting) only due to coronavirus.
I think the Spanish flu killed 50 million people a hundred years ago.

You dont know what sort of a year I have had. I will croak with an empty bank account, guaranteed.

On 10/9/2020 at 6:07 PM, NSWP said:

Keep some spare change in case you get to join your son on one of his cruises to Antarctica.  Now that would be a memorable swan song to your cruising life. 

Keep some spare change in case you get to join your son on one of his cruises to Antarctica.  Now that would be a memorable swan song to your cruising life. 
An Antartica Cruise is expensive and will require a lot more than spare change.
What about keeping money for medical emergencies in old age?