Jump to content

Anyone else just giving up on a cruise for a while?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t know where to find the information but I speculate that the average age of regular users of this forum is above 65 and that may account for the aversion to health risk.   Cruise lines continue to say booking for future cruises are brisk.  

 

Of course they're brisk.  Everybody has all those FCCs to use up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 

Of course they're brisk.  Everybody has all those FCCs to use up.

 

Yes but pax are choosing to rebook instead of refunding.   How it is happening, though important, is not as important as it is happening 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 

Of course they're brisk.  Everybody has all those FCCs to use up.

 

Not us. We took the refunds instead of FCCs for all our Celebrity cancelled cruises. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Not us. We took the refunds instead of FCCs for all our Celebrity cancelled cruises. 

 

I also took refunds for my 5 cancelled cruises.  But one of them was partially paid for with some FCCs.  So now I need to use those or lose them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Yes but pax are choosing to rebook instead of refunding.   How it is happening, though important, is not as important as it is happening 

According to statements from the cruise lines about 40-45% are taking credits leaving 55-60% taking refunds.

 

While all three stated earlier this year that 2022 bookings were strong.  NCL stated a couple of weeks ago that bookings were weakening.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nocl said:

According to statements from the cruise lines about 40-45% are taking credits leaving 55-60% taking refunds.

 

While all three stated earlier this year that 2022 bookings were strong.  NCL stated a couple of weeks ago that bookings were weakening.  

I do not take the position that FCCs are the driving force, that was in response to a reply given.   NCL does currently have the most extensive schedule reaching months beyond other lines and that may skew their view of weakening.    I am not saying the lines are not suffering , they clearly are but I don’t take the dim view of these lines others do.  Sure some lines are going to disappear as the industry had, in my view, over expanded.   That said, the former largest players will survive.   The industry will be transformed. But they are not scammers, frauds, cheats or uncaring, callous money grabbers.  If anyone thinks that they should never step foot on a ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is exactly what the cruise lines are. They are arrogant, money grubbing corporate entites who have been busy downgrading and upcharging for years.

 

Looks good on the executive suite, not on the staff.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

That is exactly what the cruise lines are. They are arrogant, money grubbing corporate entites who have been busy downgrading and upcharging for years.

 

Looks good on the executive suite, not on the staff.

 

 

Why would you ever board a ship?   I truly don’t understand that.  It is dangerous to sleep  on top of 12,000 feet of water.  Me, I have to trust anyone I would sail with. If I thought they were that callous I would never set foot on the ship.  I had this view long before Covid.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

We couldn't deal with the uncertainties as the minute the weather starts getting cold, and winter is in view,  we need to start dreaming about our March vacation. We cancelled, rebooked for 2022 (Lift and Shift was a major downgrade for us), and are booking a splurgy AI in Riviera Maya - the splurge because - #2020.

 

We are really sad because we want to support the cruise lines, we want to bring funds to the ports, but we also need to consider our own mental well-being. That being said, the AI is dreamy and we're very excited about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

They are arrogant, money grubbing corporate entites

What Company is in business not to make money ?? 

The Consumer decides whether the value of the product is worth the expense. Example , Is it worth paying for a suite or just taking a cabin on " minnow " deck  ?  For us, we always take a cabin " on the hump " on deck 8 or 9 which suits us perfectly.

( It does seem like there are more people on CC that take a suite and find the value acceptable ).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Royal is offering cruises out of Singapore in Dec. on the Quantum... sailing at 50% capacity.

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23639-here-are-royal-caribbean-s-new-december-cruises.html

I believe though that these short cruises are for residents of  Singapore only.   That's not to say that one could not be affected however there will be no guests on board from other countries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

What Company is in business not to make money ?? 

The Consumer decides whether the value of the product is worth the expense. Example , Is it worth paying for a suite or just taking a cabin on " minnow " deck  ?  For us, we always take a cabin " on the hump " on deck 8 or 9 which suits us perfectly.

( It does seem like there are more people on CC that take a suite and find the value acceptable ).

 

Pinboy, I agree. Making money is the point, it is always about the "howing" the money is made.

I really like your use of the word Consumer, it is a strong word connotating analysis and consideration. It is one of my favorite words.

Thanks for your post!

Have a great Thanksgiving with much adult beverages!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

We couldn't deal with the uncertainties as the minute the weather starts getting cold, and winter is in view,  we need to start dreaming about our March vacation. We cancelled, rebooked for 2022 (Lift and Shift was a major downgrade for us), and are booking a splurgy AI in Riviera Maya - the splurge because - #2020.

 

We are really sad because we want to support the cruise lines, we want to bring funds to the ports, but we also need to consider our own mental well-being. That being said, the AI is dreamy and we're very excited about it. 

Are you able to share the name of the AI?😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
I know most of us on here are chomping at the bit to get on a cruise, otherwise we wouldn't be on Cruise Critic.  I see a lot of people willing to go ahead as soon as the lines start cruising.  But as anxious as I am to cruise and looking at some of the great deals out there (sadly not Celebrity), I still can't pull the trigger and book one.
 
I'm not cruising until things get back to "normal", whatever that is going to be.  I'm fine with lot's of disinfectants, staff serving me at a buffet, etc.  But I'm not wearing a mask on a cruise or not being able to go to a show because of social distancing,  or sit in a bar, etc.   I'm not going to take a ships excursion or not be able to walk around in port on my own.  Oh and it's not about having to wear a mask, social distancing, etc. as I abide by those protocols now.  It's not that I'm afraid to catch Covid (but don't want to, lol).  But that's not a cruise I want to be on.  
 
If other people want to cruise, more power to you and I hope you have a blessed time.  It's just not the vacation for me right now.  If the cruises were half price..... I might consider but not sure I'd even go then.  Cruises will get back to somewhat normal.  It's not if, but when.  It might be 6 months, might be 2 years.  And yea, there will probably be some protocols in place but not much.  Six months after most of the population has a vaccine, most things will be back to the old normal.  People tend to forget......
 
We are leaving next week for 8 nights in a cabin outside of Blue Ridge GA.  Lot's of hiking, sitting in front of the fireplace on the patio and just exploring the area.  
 
Be safe all with whatever you choose to do!
Duane
 

I’ve given up for the winter season 2021 and canceled my cruise. Way back in April I thought cruises would re start in a August and give me plenty of time to see how actual US cruises fare and the protocols in place before my 11/1 final payment date. Now no cruises until 12/1 if then (virus is already spiking again) so no way to see how it all goes. I don’t want to be one of the first on 1/30 to go out and see how it goes with a diverse set of passengers. The cruise line excursions only that are now required was also a deal breaker. I was thinking about Alaska in August but is that too soon also? Maybe. Right now 2/23/22 is my next one.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Airbus spokesperson recently said that they don't expect airline travel to return to pre-Covid levels until 2023 at the earliest, maybe even 2025.  Does anyone really expect that cruise lines will fare significantly better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:


I’ve given up for the winter season 2021 and canceled my cruise. Way back in April I thought cruises would re start in a August and give me plenty of time to see how actual US cruises fare and the protocols in place before my 11/1 final payment date. Now no cruises until 12/1 if then (virus is already spiking again) so no way to see how it all goes. I don’t want to be one of the first on 1/30 to go out and see how it goes with a diverse set of passengers. The cruise line excursions only that are now required was also a deal breaker. I was thinking about Alaska in August but is that too soon also? Maybe. Right now 2/23/22 is my next one.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not see a resumption of cruises until next Spring in Europe. I agree the Caribbean 2020-2021 winter season is probably toast. We already moved our September 2020 Greek Viking Ocean cruise to Next May on Celebrity and  I am confident that by that time a proven vaccine will be available and cruising will start back up. If crosslines are not sailing by next Spring they may be all bankrupt and cruising as we all know it will be a thing of the past.. We also are only going to fly for a cruise in First/Business class,  where there is more natural social distancing. I read something earlier today from CLIA saying that the resumption of cruising may require either instant at the dock Covid testing or that all passengers are tested negative within 72 hours of boarding if a proven vaccine is not available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mnocket said:

The Airbus spokesperson recently said that they don't expect airline travel to return to pre-Covid levels until 2023 at the earliest, maybe even 2025.  Does anyone really expect that cruise lines will fare significantly better?

 

That's extremely pessimistic. Granted, they may never return to pre-Covid levels even when it's under control and the majority of the people are vaccinated.  (Yeah, a pipe dream.)  People for the next few years, for most part, will probably quite reluctant to fly.  Who knows?

 

As far as the original question:  I'm not giving up.  I have a cruise booked for next October.  My final payment is due on July 29th, so we should definitely know by then if there's a viable vaccine or not.  If no vaccine, I cancel.  It's that simple.  I'll re-evaluate from there then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
That's extremely pessimistic. Granted, they may never return to pre-Covid levels even when it's under control and the majority of the people are vaccinated.  (Yeah, a pipe dream.)  People for the next few years, for most part, will probably quite reluctant to fly.  Who knows?
 
As far as the original question:  I'm not giving up.  I have a cruise booked for next October.  My final payment is due on July 29th, so we should definitely know by then if there's a viable vaccine or not.  If no vaccine, I cancel.  It's that simple.  I'll re-evaluate from there then.

My large local fitness center opened early June with classes starting 7/1. I thought everyone like me would be very glad to be finally back. I’ve gone every day since then. But the return has been dismal. Of the 20 or so dedicated regulars I saw and talked a lot only one ever returned, the gym is pretty empty all morning long and some that go late afternoon/ evening say that is no different. I’m surprised but feel this experience will be mirrored by much of the travel business and cruises, people just won’t return to activities that mix people until a vaccine. This not a story that will end well.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mnocket said:

The Airbus spokesperson recently said that they don't expect airline travel to return to pre-Covid levels until 2023 at the earliest, maybe even 2025.  Does anyone really expect that cruise lines will fare significantly better?

for one thing cruise lines are not as dependent on business travelers for a large portion of their revenue stream as airlines. with the fast adoption of zoom and other remote meeting systems business travel is expected to be permanently impacted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nocl said:

with the fast adoption of zoom and other remote meeting systems business travel is expected to be permanently impacted. 

IMO--- In business , personal interaction is far better than videoconferencing and I would expect business travel to resume when deemed safe.  LOL---- more deals are made during a lunch meeting or after a round of golf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
We couldn't deal with the uncertainties as the minute the weather starts getting cold, and winter is in view,  we need to start dreaming about our March vacation. We cancelled, rebooked for 2022 (Lift and Shift was a major downgrade for us), and are booking a splurgy AI in Riviera Maya - the splurge because - #2020.
 
We are really sad because we want to support the cruise lines, we want to bring funds to the ports, but we also need to consider our own mental well-being. That being said, the AI is dreamy and we're very excited about it. 

Good for you hope you have a great time in Mexico. Our group of nine just returned Saturday from an AI in Cancun. Got out just before Gamma. No issues at Cancun international and when we arrived at our resorts, luggage sprayed and cleaned as well as our shoes and temperatures taken. Masks required inside until you sat down to eat. No masks required in the pool or pool bar. The Mexican government does ask that mask be worn outside of the resort, walking on sidewalks,city buses, etc. Have a celebrity cruise booked in December 2020 and March 2021. Again get away and have a blast.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 5:09 PM, VACruiser123 said:

Nope, not gonna do it until sanity returns. On a cruise

1. NOT wearing a mask

2. NOT social distancing

3. NOT going to viewed as a pariah in a port

4. NOT going to be bothered by Covid Karen as I try to relax on vacation.

 

Just not down with a vacation plan that has those elements. Staycations as it turns out are very underrated. 

 

Depends on how badly one wants to cruise. Like many of us, I'm not crazy about the various restrictions you refer to, but I'll do it rather than stay home all the time. Staycations are fine - but having done it now since March I'm ready for something different. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...