The Daily for Tuesday Oct 6, 2020

richwmn

today is Come and Take it Day, Mad Hatter Day, and Physician Assistant Day

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
        -- Dr. Who

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Stew

Drink of the Day - Another Brick in the Wall

Wine of the day - Marotti Campi Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore Luzano vintage 2017

At Sea Atlantic
Zaandam destination Southampton eta 10/7

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Balboa eta 10/8

Bonaire Anchorage
Eurodam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay GB
Volendam
Westerdam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1006World.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I don't know what to make of Come and Take It Day, but thank God for our Physicians' Assistants, and the Mad Hatter is a great story.  Love the Quote and Chicken Stew sounds great.  My alternate menu suggestion today is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho, Braised Lamb Shank, and Pineapple Crisp as served on the Amsterdam October 6, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Burnout at work, especially Live4cruises

Deceased CC Member wizard-of-roz and her family

California and Colorado Wildfires

RIP Bob Gibson

Those in the path of Delta

President Trump,  Melania and the entire White House staff

Denise’s friend with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer.

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Ger_77 visiting grandchildren

cruisin single helping Colorado firefighters

Henry Alter, Michael Houghton, and Charles Rice (Nobel Prize Medicine)

and highland cruiser, gigianne, and cat shepard all getting flu shots

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't know what to make of Come and Take It Day

from the description --

Come and Take It Day is a day to go out and take something that you've always wanted, or to defiantly say "come and take it" to someone who wants something from you that you do not wish to give up.

I like the second part better myself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

Love the quote.

I've never heard of "come and take it day" so thanks for the explanation.  Something for me to ponder.

The dinner suggestion sounds good.  I'll be interested in reading about the wine and the Drink of the Day.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 10

Good morning Rich, Roy, and all our dailyites.

I don't like the come and take it day.  I think to many people think that is their right.  Mad Hatter...loved it in Alice in Wonderland.  The quote is spot on, to many are so serious.

Brick Wall

1.5oz apple cider syrup (see below)
1.5oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon Whiskey bourbon
Ginger ale
Lime wedge
1 slice green apple (if you’re into garnishes)

Combine equal parts syrup and bourbon in an ice-filled glass. Top off glass with a bit of ginger ale. Squeeze in lime. Optional: garnish with apple slice.

Apple cider syrup

Bring 0.25 cup sugar, 5 cracked allspice berries, 4 whole cloves and 0.75 inches of ginger root (peeled and sliced very thin) up to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes. Kill heat and let steep for 90 minutes. Let cool and strain. The recipe here claims to make enough for 10 drinks, but that’s wrong. By my calculation, it makes enough for about 5.5 drinks.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Numbers are going up again!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Not sure I’m keen on Come and Take it Day either 😉 Definitely love the Physician Assistant Day and they should be celebrated every day.  They are key to everyone’s health.

I am laughing at the Dr. Who quote.  And, it’s pretty true of most of us at one time or another 😉 

I think we’ll pass on the stew and enjoy a bbq if the weather holds.  We don’t have many bbq days left.

I was outside labelling all my dahlia stems yesterday to prep for the time they get dug up and got a very nice surprise 🙂. A new dahlia that I had planted had done nothing and all of a sudden, late in the season look what I find:

DA67B8F8-5933-4C8C-8889-EC1D85F7133E.thumb.jpeg.99396c5f7037b3ee2cc14860fb8605bc.jpeg

It should have many more blooms next year 🤞 

Prayers to all of those on the Care list and anyone who needs them.  A big clink of the glass for all of those we are celebrating.

Have a great Tuesday everyone, stay safe and please don’t forget your masks.

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Roy - thank you for keeping our lists. What a great community this has grown into!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. 🌺Denise keeping you all in my prayers. Joy, hope all is going well with your critter investigation. Today’s wine is a white wine!

What a wild combo of days, but definitely physician assistants certain deserve their own year with what they are dealing with. I am a fan of The Doctor, so I love today’s quote. Not a stew day for me. No clue what supper will be here. Another great name for a drink. I must admit the apple cider syrup sounds as good as the drink itself.

It looks to be a glorious day here, though Bindi and I got caught in a surprise downpour earlier. Let’s just say she looks better soaking wet than I do.

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

This white wine from Italy has very good ratings and a great price range between $7.62 - $14.99. But I could not find any seller outside of Europe, so shipping would raise the price a bit.  Sounds like a decent wine to try, if you can find it, though I am fairly certain I do not know what a wet stone tastes like.🙃

#72 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Straw yellow color with light green reflections. Aromas of acacia, broom and wildflowers, chamomile with typical hints of almond. Dry, savory, mineral, with hints of green apple and pleasant almond finish. Serving temperature 14°C approx, as aperitif, pasta and rice dishes, fish, white meat.

WS90 Wine Spectator

Light herb and citrus zest notes accent the apricot, wet stone, almond blossom and pear flavors in sleek and silky, light- to medium-bodied white. Fresh and lingering, with a minerally finish. Drink now through 2024.
  • Like 15

How ironic!  Today I have a phone call appointment with my doctor's physician assistant.  They didn't want me to come in because my complaint is my cough, which I've had all year, and even all last year.  They didn't seem too worried about it when I brought it to their attention in January and March.  I just want to explore reasons for a chronic cough and see if they could assist me in getting rid of it.  Sick of the whole thing!

Jacqui your flowers are still amazing!  Thanks for sharing your latest surprise.

• Like 9

Good morning Rich. Thanks a bunch for this great thread. I really enjoy it.

First off, Denise, friend, and families I am praying for you. Sending peace, love and comfort.

Ann: Hurray! A white wine! I just might add it to my growing list. I'm sorry you and Bindi got caught in the rain.

Roy and Summer and Jacqui thanks for the pictures, prayers, drink recipes.

We are having baked chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans tonight. Last night I had a huge lamb shank while out to dinner with friends. Sadly, we were the only 4 in the restaurant until we were leaving. There are new cake shops and restaurants opening here in Georgetown. I wonder what will happen to them? 

So, it is looking like we have a raccoon that has been pretty well behaved the last few nights. It is eating the left over bird seed on the ground and then climbs the fence to our neighbors feeder. Allen watched him last night and is pretty sure that is what it is.

Weather should be back to upper 80's the next few days. Hummers are still around, although we're down to maybe 2 or 3.

Sending blessings out to all, I keep praying for you, and our nation.

image.png.5e0729baa0813e17c741ed038abbe7aa.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui your flowers are still amazing!  Thanks for sharing your latest surprise.

Thanks kindly. The dahlias’ days are numbered now 😞 

They usually come down and get dug up by Thanksgiving (the Canadian one) so I can’t get the bulbs dry outside (it’s faster) as much as possible.  They do come in if there’s frost, of course 😉 

• Like 7

Good morning, and thanks once again for the Daily and the consideration lists. We should be all in on the PA day, we get good care from ours. But some caution might be in order for Come and Take It. I tried that once with the IRS....they came and took it. 😲🤬

Another beautiful flower, Jacqui. Thank you for all of the wonderful colors you have shared.

It is starting to look like fall around these parts, but hasn't settled in to feel like it yet. This morning we did our senior shopping for the next couple of weeks, so it's time to settle in and watch it get warm outside.

Hope everyone has a great day. Stay safe and healthy.

Lori & George

• Like 9

A late Good Morning to all the "Daily People!" As always, I want to try ALL of the food & drink suggestions - no wonder I am not underweight, LOL. Dinner here will be roast chicken with farmers' market acorn squash, green beans and DH's perfect tossed salad. I am keeping an eye on the weather forecast here for the upcoming weekend. On the second Monday in October, our Maple Leaf flag flies at the front porch and we frequently barbecue. Currently, rain is in the forecast, so we will have Canadian Thanksgiving inside. Still working on the menu. Even a very small turkey creates a horrific amount of leftovers for two oldsters, LOL!

And thank you all for your grace and caring in such troubled times. You make this thread a refuge from some of the craziness around us.

Please continue to mask up. Not only for yourself, but those around you. We have got to beat this virus down.

• Like 12

Good morning all...

Will pass on the chicken stew since I made cheesy chicken chili last night...

Was rudely awakened at 01:45 by high-pitched barking outside our bedroom.  Turned out a fox was running up and down the street and barking LOUDLY.  Lasted two minutes.  That's a first for this neighborhood.

Thank God for the PAs at our hospital.  They have done wonderful work during this pandemic.

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for Physician Assistants, they work hard and are often overlooked.  I love the definition of Come And Get It, it’s the equivalent of “Oh yeah, make me!”  LOL

Getting the two littles off and out the door was a bit easier this morning, but at breakfast, another question from the 5 year old:  Who were Godzilla’ parents?  Sheesh!

The menu suggestion is a good one, but the family has asked for beef stew; I thought we could have leftover porcupine meatballs, but was told that they want to freeze them so they can be enjoyed when we go home.  So it looks like it’ll be beef stew tonight. And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don’t think they do.  Raising the wine glass and sippy cups tonight for the celebration list. Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing! :classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Gerry

• Like 11

Brisk here this morning and it is due to cool off more this weekend. I have had sprinklers blown out, so am not worried about a hard freeze. But we need rain. Dinner here will be stew, but beef, not chicken. I am trying to reduce the contents of the freezer. Need to restock for winter. Would much rather be having someone else fix my meals - not to mention wash the dishes.

Susan

• Like 10

Good morning and a big thank you to everyone!

Yay for PA Day!! A urology PA literally saved my life. He worked hard to get me an emergency CT scan when I had a kidney stone that turned out to be 100% blocking my uterer. The CT scan revealed a massive infection in the kidney (a liter of infection was removed that afternoon) which in turn sent me into sepsis, led to 3 surgeries, and a 3 day stay in the ICU. Had he not worked so hard I would have been sent home with pain meds, gone into septic shock, and died. I was mom of a 2 week old baby at the time too to add to all the stress. So yes, Aaron the PA is my hero. I told him so when I went back for my next appointment, wrote a letter to his medical group praising him,  and have told many folks about his outstanding care.  

Come and take it day.... sounds like a great day for a yard sale!

Braised lamb shank sound perfect for a fall supper. Mmmm!!

So, I asked dh for new luggage for my birthday, I know, so romantic, but it was time, travel is our hobby, and I love buying new luggage. It got here and I am so happy. The old Samsonite had given it's all. Ds, the almost 20 yo (how did that happen?), was like "Mom, you can't throw away Old Blue with the squeaky rollers. He is like an heirloom." "Watch me!!" How many airports have we run through red faced with embarrassment with Old Blue making that nails on chalkboard shreek? Even the miraculous WD-40 did nothing for Old Blue. Old Blue is in luggage heaven now. May he rest in peace. 

Take care all and have a stupendous and safe day!

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Aaron the PA is my hero. I told him so when I went back for my next appointment, wrote a letter to his medical group praising him,  and have told many folks about his outstanding care.  

I will toast Aaron this evening! Maybe Old Blue, too!

• Like 4

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you,  Rich and Roy,  and also all the others with information and photos.  If Jacqui's dahlia is the same as ours, it is called Clyde's Choice, but I do think Candy Corn would be an even better name!  And very seasonal.  We are on our way out to church, and after to the mall for a coffee, and I plan to ask the pharmacist in the drug store when our flu shots will be in.  I see they are in in Ontario.  It always takes longer to get all the way out west.

Our dahlia -

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.2fcbdbf36af2dffa51a337c7e4379113.jpeg

• Like 14

Good morning all.  Even on busy days I have to take time to log on to CC and head straight to this thread.  I firmly believe that this place has kept our morale up throughout the dark days of Covid and the resulting cruise cancellations that we have all had.  I am so optimistic for a year from know when we will be able to once again print our boarding docs and sail away from the port of Rome on the Zuiderdam.  🤞🤞🤞.  It's meat pie for us tonight, no wine or drink of the day.   We are sharing our Thanksgiving dinner with our neighbours this coming Sunday  - they will come and take their dinner over our fence, so we will celebrate Come and Take it Day then.  In exchange for dinner our neighbour is sewing us a few masks.   Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this “place”.  Stay safe and healthy and if flu shots are available in your “hood”, please take advantage of them and get one.  💉

• Like 12

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

How ironic!  Today I have a phone call appointment with my doctor's physician assistant.  They didn't want me to come in because my complaint is my cough, which I've had all year, and even all last year.  They didn't seem too worried about it when I brought it to their attention in January and March.  I just want to explore reasons for a chronic cough and see if they could assist me in getting rid of it.  Sick of the whole thing!

Do you take Lisinopril for high blood pressure?  --- it's notorious for causing a cough.

• Like 4